Notices
ECU Flash

Thottle hang issues . . .

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thottle hang issues . . .

I can't seem to get the throttle stepper table mod to work on my car.* I have cosworth cams, apexi intake filter, injen maf pipe/ic piping, ets 3" ic.* I also have the IX idle adjustment tables added.* I had the car set where it idled great with the cams, but afterward I had horrible throttle hang, especially between 3rd and 4th gears.

So I tried the idle stepper table mod as directed in the other thread.* After I did that the car won't idle at all.* I'll start and idle at the normal about 1500 rpm idle for probaby 10-30 seconds, then it drops a few hundred rpm for probably about 10 seconds.* Then it drops to about 900rpm for about 10-15 seconds, then drops to I think it stablilzes about 300-500 rpm.* As far as I can tell it will run down there, but I don't let it for very long.* It does this pretty much no matter how warm the car is.* The only time it will idle as it's supposed to is coming up to a stoplight after I've been driving for awhile (oil temp gauge says about 185 taken at the filter).* Even after water temp is normal temp (according to the gauge), but oil temp isn't it won't idle.* It seems that it won't idle until oil temp is above 180.* I have tried adjusting everything I can to get it to idle with no luck.* The only thing that changed is when I adjusted the actual idle table, it increased the initial idle it settles to when it starts, but it still did the same stepped lowering and it always steps to the same rpm.* I have since changed everything back and it's fine, except for that crappy hang.

I'm going to take it apart and see if the IACV isn't damaged or dirty.* Any one else have any ideas?* thanks.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
warm up the engine - then resetECU (disconnect the battery for cca 20 sec) and then connect start and let it idle for cca 7minutes - it goes through the learning cycle for idle steps etc. Then you will see how much steps the idle stepper is opening in order to maintain normal idle RPM - and actually it should be able to maintain the normal idle rpm
Old May 20, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't even think about resetting the ecu. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Resetting the ecu didn't work. I've updated ecuflash, did the idle stepper table mod. It seemed to respond a little better this time around than before, but still didn't work. Now it doesn't do the stepped lowering, it just sits where it's supposed to when it's cold for a few seconds then drops straight to about 600 and tries to idle there. I changed the idle stepper values back to stock, but left the new axis in place and it works just fine. I don't understand how editing that column can affect idle. I guess I'll play with the values until I find something that works, unless someone else has any ideas. Afrs are spot on during all this according to my WB, btw.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
what is your ISCSteps like in evoscan? (when the car is warm and just idling for a couple of mins)
Old May 22, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

I actually just got done logging that and came to post it. I didn't think to log it cold, but it doesn't seem to matter.

With the stock ISCV table I have Coolant temp = 182, Load about 30, ISCV steps = 60, 1000 RPM, TPS 10%.

With the updated ISCV values I have Coolant temp = 184, Load = 30, ISCV steps 45, 1000 RPM, TPS = 16% (had my foot on the gas to maintain 1000rpm).

I let the car run without my foot on the gas: Coolant temp 184, Load 30, 750 RPM, ISCV steps = 39, TPS 10%.

Then ISCV started lowering step by step to settle at 22, load slowly went up to about 35, and RPM dropped down to 560.

Is there anything else I need to log? Thanks.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

ok firstly, 10% seem low for the TPS not pressed, most evo's I have seen have their resting TPS @ 13%.

You may want to check that the TPS is aligned properly and there isn't too much slack in the cable.

Hopefully evo828 should be able to help you with the actual idle problems as he seems to be the idle-pro

Is that the only change you make between versions?
Old May 22, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yes the ISCV table settings were the only thing I changed between logs. I've adjusted my throttle cable so that it's completely shut with no slack in the cable, I just figured that was the correct way when I had it off. I'll try readjusting it to see if it helps. I've made some adjustments to the table and I'm going to give those a try too. Thank you.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

The changes I made to the table seem to work. I haven't driven it to see if the hang is gone, but I have a feeling it will be.

Looking at Evoscan, I'm thinking you might be right about the throttle cable. At 10% TPS the ISC steps is hitting kinda high on the table for where the car is idling at load/coolant temp wise. I'm guessing if I adjust the cable to around 13%, then maybe it'll drop ISC steps back to where they should be. Does that sound right? Unfortunately, I can't try it until tomorrow. Thank you.
Old May 22, 2008, 06:32 PM
EvoM Guru

post up the old/new maps so we can see
Old May 22, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tephra, slightly off topic, but have you verified through disassembly that the axes on that table are correct as load and coolant temp?

When I look at that table, it doesn't make sense to me. I would expect the ISC steps to decrease as coolant temp increase and ISC steps to increase as load increases. However, the table has static ISC steps in respect to coolant temp and only increases with load.

If I swap around the XY or one of them (I forgot off the top of my head), I can get it to looks almost exactly how I would imagine.

I'm just wondering because people like this that supposedly only alter the high load, high temp areas of the map are having issues with idle.

Eric
Old May 22, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

This is the table after I changed the values. Basically I just started the downward taper at a higher load. So far it seems to idle fine. I didn't drive it, cuz I had been drinking so I'll see how it works tomorrow. I'll also adjust the throttle cable and try to adjust the table accoringly.
Attached Thumbnails Thottle hang issues . . .-newmap.jpg  
Old May 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering the same thing for the same reson about the axes.
Old May 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed...

-E
Old May 22, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Here it is in some gay easier to read colors.
Attached Thumbnails Thottle hang issues . . .-newmap2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thottle hang issues . . .