Notices
ECU Flash

Dell Mini... anyone use it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dell Mini... anyone use it?

I need a new laptop in the worst way. I haven't messing with my tune in a couple years now cause yy current HP laptop is a POS and the battery lasts all of about 2 minutes and thats when it doesn't just shut off for no good reason.

Dell was recommended to me by an IT friend so I was looking around their site and came across the MINI. looks like I nice little system to keep in the car for logging and tuning but i was wondering if anyone had experience with this comp. or maybe you know of a better one to use.

this is the package I put together on their site:

https://ecomm2.dell.com/dellstore/ba...f-e4acaf64f882

Ideally I want something I can either keep in the glove box or tucked away someplace so I can log while I'm on the track. TIA for the input.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me for being computer stupid but does that Ubuntu whatever run windows or MAC applications? would there be any issues trying to log with a non-windows based system? Seems that there are a few issues just trying to use a MAC to log (i'm using a Macbook Pro and have to disable one program to get the other to recognize the cable). Either way it looks like a cool option for something smaller than whats out there now. What about the old IBM laptops that where a little bigger than a VHS cassette? Does anyone know anything about those?

Josh
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

wish I could answer your questions but I'm about a dumb as they come with regard to those new fangled komputer things...
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Ubuntu is a linux ditsrobution and it will not run windows apps. At least not as far as I know.

You will want to get the version with windows.

Also, I was thinking about that system but I think an 8" screen might be a little small. I use a 12" and I think it works well, although I don't keep it in the car at all times like you want to. I think the 8" will be alright, but keep in mind you wont really be able to glance at it while driving.

Also if I were going to buy a computer for tuning my car, I would make sure to get something with an illuminated keyboard. I tune a lot at night and being able to see the keys would be really nice.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:22 PM

the dell mini's are one in a wide selection of mini laptops or netbooks. there is nothing that really distinguishes itself from the other netbook like asus' eee pc, hp mini note, acer aspire one, lenovo s9/10, msi wind, and some other japanese models besides the dell name. Rumor is though it has built in 3g, but just a rumor. It really hasn't shipped for consumers yet. If you're going to data log, you shouldn't get one that has ubuntu/linux because software like mitsulogger, evoscan, and ecuflash will not work on that operating system. But then again, it all comes down to you, your preferences. I personally use the acer aspire one. The reason for it when I purchased it was because it was the best bag for the buck, 120gb hd, and running windows xp, and best of all, its like navy blue! :-p
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

the one I spec'ed out had windows XP (I think) on it.

+1 for the great idea about an illuminated keyboard. its been so long I forgot what a PITA it was to try and tune in the dark... always looking for a street lamp or something to park under.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:45 PM

haha, illumination would be fantastic! I don't think any of the netbooks have them.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I use a little USB light I got for free at a convention that works great for lighting the keyboard.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LittleBlueMnM
haha, illumination would be fantastic! I don't think any of the netbooks have them.
I used a powerbook that had it, thats what gave me the idea of needing that for tunning a car.

I don't know what Windows latptops have illuminated keys though.

Also, the solid state drive in the dell mini is pretty nice. I have been tuning cars for about 5 years and I have had two hard drive failures in two different laptops which I attribute to data logging (writing to the HD) while driving over bumps etc...
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fixem2
I use a little USB light I got for free at a convention that works great for lighting the keyboard.
Not bad, but I still think a light up keyboard would be better.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

so, since this Dell Mini isn't even out yet, can someone recommend a good small laptop for logging/tuning that IS available?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I built one just now for $489 with xp and the larger (16gb?!) HD. I didnt really like the small SSD hd. Its fast and reliable for driving fast with the bumps and jolts that could harm a regular HD, but the size is really small. My old HP is 2 years old, its battery is crap also, but all the driving has not affected its operation. But i roll with an inverter in the car anyways to keep the lappy charged. Tune 'till i drop!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Mac book pro has illuminated keyboard can be had in a compact size and can run windows as well as Mac applications.

Edit: I have a used HP non-illuminated Keyboard for sale! You would probably want an inverter to plug it into though.

Josh
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
can someone recommend a good small laptop for logging/tuning that IS available?
Search for the "eee PC". A few people on here are using them with success.

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
so, since this Dell Mini isn't even out yet, can someone recommend a good small laptop for logging/tuning that IS available?
In my personal opinion, all these netbooks are pretty much the same just with different branding, but one company might have that one caveat that you would like over the other whether it being trackpad placement, overall keyboard size/comfort, price, etc. They all pretty much run on those new intel atom chips, except for HP 2133. Dudical26 does make a good point on SSD, being that you won't ruin your hd running over bumps while datalogging. So far, the cheapest one with Windows XP is the Acer Aspire One a150-1570 and 120 regular disk spinning hard drive and 1gb of ram for $350, if you can find one. The HP 2133 looks much cooler, but would run you prolly around $650 with Windows XP. But again, just personal preference and pricing will determine what you would get. Heard those lenovo x300 and macbook air are pretty sweet, too bad they cost upwards of $2k.

But really though, the Asus EEE PC, HP 2133, Acer Aspire One, MSI Wind, Lenovo S9/10 (taking orders but has yet to ship), and the Dell Mini pretty much will data log for you pretty well, but would recommend a Solid State Drive for datalogging on the road so the possibility of corrupting your data would be less. But remember these are all 10" LCD screen or smaller and pretty much are basic laptops.

Acer Apsire One (only because of price and color) > HP 2133 (style) > lenovo (IBM brand) = Dell Mini (brand) = Asus EEE PC (availability and mods avail) > MSI Wind

Check this website out, you can compare all those mentioned above along with other laptops/computers that are designed for extra mobility (weird that macbook air isnt in it though) http://www.dynamism.com/#home

Quick Reply: Dell Mini... anyone use it?