Notices
ECU Flash

Tephra Rom Mod - Ver 6 ??????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The tip in knock fixed in this rom for the 94170005 (03' evo's?) Very annoying, however, I would go back to my original rom but this particular rom fixes a idle issue and I actually switch back and forth between maps. I know it's not my tune but knock is knock.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Read 18 pages?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
i have looked at this issue a number of times.

no-one really wants to give their full attention to help me getting it fixed...

so I can't really do much about it...
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

What do you need Dave. I emailed you the my rom and you compared an old to a new. I will take the time tomorrow to do a pull with the 9417008 v1/2 patch and then a pull with the 94170005.

I have added fuel, removed timing...still get random tip in knock. Which sucks when I get ready to step on the car I get random tip in knock very very very low load.

So Dave, what do you need?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
if you can send me a log of said "tip-in-knock" that would be great. Just send me the relevant lines from the log (20-30ish) not the whole log

also if you can find a blank (non tephramod) 0015 ROM and put your maps in and retest that would be good too.

I need to know if its:
1) the base rom I am using
2) the tephramod itself
3) something else
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

I'll do that tomorrow.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
Read 18 pages?
Not trying to be a jerk... but you are willing to switch between maps, work around the problem, have someone else investigate your rom and possibly write a difficult modification to it..... but you aren't willing to sit down and read a thread that will probably pull you in with most of the answers in 10 minutes and give you the dirty details in 30? Sounds like a time misalignment to me
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:45 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Read 18 pages?
Yes, what do you think I did? You can read it for yourself and know what you're doing and what you're changing/affecting, or someone else can go through, summarize it, maybe leave out some detail, and then you can take that info, blindly apply it to your rom, and then maybe blow up your car. This is an advanced tuning topic, do not take it lightly.

Originally Posted by fostytou
Not trying to be a jerk... but you are willing to switch between maps, work around the problem, have someone else investigate your rom and possibly write a difficult modification to it..... but you aren't willing to sit down and read a thread that will probably pull you in with most of the answers in 10 minutes and give you the dirty details in 30? Sounds like a time misalignment to me
Exactly. This is no better than those who just installed 35r and 1600's and want a 'base rom' so they can just drive it around before they go to the tuner.....just plain stupid.

Don't confuse my intent here...I'm ALL ABOUT helping people, but there's only so much one can do! The level of dedication and support tephra and others have given to the community here (and by community I mean all of us whining punks looking for the latest and greatest thing to fill our go-fast-crack addiction) is simply astonishing and must be beyond tiring. This area of the forum is really about having the info to do amazing stuff with the stock ecu....expecting it to be handed to you on a silver platter is just way out of line, and it happens way to often.

With that said....tephra....I'm ready to test v6 for you *rolls eyes at himself*

Last edited by scheides; Jan 27, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read 18 pages?
This has been proven over and over and over again to solve the tip in knock with no ill effects. You simply need to play around with the settings until the tip in knock is solved. For most Evos the settings noted in the beginning of the thread work fine. Just be sure that it is in fact tip-in knock not actual knock.

And I have to agree, reading 18 pages to fully understand the functionality of anything to do with the ECU and the ROM is worth every minute you spend reading regardless if its 18 pages or 50 pages.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

18 pages is gonna be about 2 pages of real info. People make idle posts...i am the type to save people sifting through x pages for something that can be answered in a single post or two.

I tune my car myself and know how to do change roms and things of that nature. Not anywhere near Teph or Mfred. I just think that knock issue is based on the rom. Simple. I'll do the tests today, and i'll read through 18pages of info that could have been answered already.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Read 18 pages?
Ouch.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

got some logs however i the real tip in knock did not show it's face. Like Jamie(jot) said, it's hard to replicate when you want to. It just happens.

I'll try another day.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is not constant then it's probably not the Rom IMO. Pull a ton of timing in the 80-140 load range and if it goes away then it is the maps and NOT the rom.

I would get tip in knock under light load 2.8k-4k rpm range unless I pull timing lower than stock values. I believe this to be the transitions from higher loads to lower and the advanced timing values we typically run at higher loads when tuning.

When I run all stock timing the tip in knock disappears so this tells me my particular problem was caused by my timing maps.

My tip in knock is gone due to making timing adjustments at lower load cells.

The tip in knock could not be present for weeks then all of sudden appear.

This is what worked for me I'm not implying it is not your answer
Figured I would try to contribute or share.

PS I have read 100's of pages to solve or learn something about the Evo. I agree there is a lot of junk in those pages but the end results are worth it

Good Luck
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

All I know is that I've used the x0014 ROM for 6 months with no issues. I "upgraded" to the x0015 ROM and got the tip in knock that several others have noted. I'm back on the x0014 and no knock.

I just have not had the time to do more testing, but plan to when the economy picks up and I have more free time. Or, if the economy worsens, I will then have plenty of free time.

Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
This has been proven over and over and over again to solve the tip in knock with no ill effects. You simply need to play around with the settings until the tip in knock is solved. For most Evos the settings noted in the beginning of the thread work fine. Just be sure that it is in fact tip-in knock not actual knock.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this mod is not getting rid of anything except the indication of knock. Whether false knock or real knock after this mod the ECU reports no knock. So, yes, it reports the coast is clear, and it eliminates any report of false knock, but it would also eliminate any report of real knock. This does not sound like a solution, but simply a cover up. What am I missing here?

...after 18 pages my brain is fadding...

Quick Reply: Tephra Rom Mod - Ver 6 ??????