Notices
ECU Flash

96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Show us some screenshots.

So, you completely removed the old v7t5 xmls?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

OK, the writing is now working in the LiveMap app and I have compiled a new exe. I will upload to the Wiki with all of the pre-configured XML files and provide a link in post #2.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And, just an FYI: I had to update the DMA/live-mapping instructions, thanks to a bug that l2r99gst found. Updated instructions are here, and if you've already applied the original instructions I posted, a quick-fix to correct the error is posted here.

The problem isn't serious, but it means that only logging and reading from RAM work; writing to RAM fails completely. It means that changes made to the fuel/timing/SD tables can't be written to the ECU live (but can still use EcuFlash to do it) until the fix is applied.

Sorry about that, folks. At this point, though, I think everything relating to the DMA code has been tested and appears to be working as well as John's original code did. Until we find the next bug, of course.

(Edit: Eric beat me to it. )
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My next question is this... is the SD patch dependent on the DMA / Live mapping stuff? Or will the SD portion work BY itself.

Last edited by Asmodeus6; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

SD is independent of DMA/LiveMap.

The SD tables are the same between 96530006 and 96530706. The only reason I asked about v7t5 is because if you had that in the past, then you have to get rid of it's XML file (or completely rename the ECU ID in the ROM and the XML file).

We'll wait for the screenshots of what you are seeing...maybe that will explain what's going on.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

EDIT: More reading less talking.

Last edited by Asmodeus6; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Everything looks fine to me from your screenshots if you are looking at a 96530706 ROM that isn't patched for SD yet. Which ROM is that in the screenshots? Is it one that is supposedly patched for SD? I bet that it is just a plain, old 96530706 ROM.

I think you know this, but just adding the XML definitions for the SD tables isn't adding the patch. You have to copy the table data from a known patched ROM into your ROM.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 22, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I've never patched a rom that had what looked like an endian problem / or scrambled table. It usually meant the table it was showing, was not defined correctly. So I just copy right over this crap? REALLY? Oh then I am just a total F idiot. Any time I have previously seen what looked like 6555333 number strings in tables they were not correctly defined in the xml. (IE: I boned something adding the code or patch)

So I'm just an idiot. I just flash w/e right over this stuff and it's fine?

Last edited by Asmodeus6; Jul 22, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, just apply the patch instructions that mrfred gave right over what you see in the tables. The weird values are from the scalings that are used for the tables.

For example, look at the first table in your screenshot. This is blank area in the ROM that just has FFFF hex code.

But, that table is defined with certain scalings. The left column is defined by the Map 16bit scaling. It likes you are using one that is x*.3333 for the JDM 3-bar map sensor. FFFF (hex) = 65535 (dec). 65536*.3333=21843. That's exactly what's showing in your non-patched table.

The right column is handled by a scaling that is x*(5/32)*.596. 65536*(5/32)*.596=6103. That's what you are seeing in the right column.

So, yeah, it probably looked a little screwy at first, but that's how a non-patched ROM looks. Also, the last table in your screenshot is one of the actual patch tables (not the tuning tables). Mrfred didn't include anything for the left column. You just need to copy the right column.

Eric
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Just a quick update. I went for a long cruise to start tuning my SD. I have idle and cruise just about perfect (trims are right where it was with the MAF, very close to 0). WOT is close to perfect, but haven't tuned that yet. That's my next step. Everything was almost spot on just with my initial settings from my MAF based logs.

It could be in my head, and I will have to study the logs to see, but during a normal low throttle (low map), 2000-2500 RPM cruise, it almost seems like I am getting very rapid but small fluctuations in power...almost like very minute changes in throttle or timing feeling. Sort of like a non-smooth feeling. It's hard to explain. Has anyone else that has converted to SD experienced this at all? Like I said, it may be in my head since I am overly sensitive since I just switched, but I was just curious if anyone has any input.

Just as some notes, I am using tephra's map averaging. I haven't tried with that off yet. I have also increased the asycnh accel vs tps delta table by 8 points across the board (suggestion from John). Overall, I would say I am 90% there, just from one quick tuning session. Of course the LiveMap app helped with that.

On a side note, I am learning VB and I am coding up some changes to the LiveMap app. I am trying to set the charting page so that it automatically grabs what you are logging from the data tab and uses those formulas to show over to the right of the graph. Right now they are hardcoded. If I can do that, then I will look at the chart itself as well.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 23, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:22 AM

I followed your instructions and got this loaded on my car last night, but didn't have time to get started on any tuning. It seems to be all working so far, and the MUT table in RAM is a nice touch - I have one set of values in the live map app logged from the MUT table in RAM, plus the standard MUT table still in ROM so I can still log with Evoscan if I want to. Hopefully over the weekend I'll get some time to work on the tuning and can then report back.

Big thanks to all those who have contributed to this, for me it's a real step forward in what's possible with a stock ECU
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Eric, you may just be feeling closed loop working, I could feel it when I had heat range 9 plugs on a heavily tune Subaru in cold weather, but not otherwise on any other setup. It is possible to have the long term fuel trims near to zero but with some areas still positive and some still negative, but if you're plotting STFT over MAP vs RPM you should see anything funny. It might settle after your trims stabilise. I didn't feel it on SD on my Evo though.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 96530006 rom that is DMA and tephra modded.

I tried to add the alt maps space definition you gave and when I pull it up the entire table is FFFF.
Is it supposed to be that?

That is where the alt maps are located in ROM isn't it? So the entire thing shouldn't be FFFF.

edit: I guess the 96530006 is different from the 96530706. I went with the address that was hard-coded in the Evo Live Map (38b00) and it seems okay now.

edit2: I further confirm 38b00 is the start address for alt maps space in 96530006.
On my 'alt maps space' table the value in 38b40 is 0x0039.
Alternate Injector Scaling address starts at 38b40. I changed the scaling of that table to hex16 and its value is 0x0039.

Last edited by roger smith; Jul 24, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, 96530706 is different than 96530006.

Btw, I tested my new version of LiveMap today and it actually worked. For now, I have the graph set itself up with the first 17 items that you have listed in the config table on the data tab. Then, next to the graph, I have the labels and text boxes grab the name and values for the first 17 items from that table. Next to the value box, I have a checkbox that shows/hides the item's curve in the chart.

I will post it up later if anyone wants to take a look at it. I may try to add some more coding to it as well.

Eric
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds good. I have everything ready just waiting on the AIT connector and some ecu pins. I didn't want to cut up the Maft Pro wiring, just in case something went south.

And then my AC compressor locked up out of the blue yesterday. So I'm still a little ways out from being able to try it. The rom is ready. Looking forward to your newerest version of live mapping where it grabs your items for the chart. (Since you hard coded the omni and I'm using JDM MAP)

So please post it when you are done fooling with it.

Quick Reply: 96530706 + DMA +LiveMap + SD - working