Notices
ECU Flash

wierd ecu issues....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wierd ecu issues....

So I was tuned yesturday by iveytune and before my tune these issues occured as well, its just I forgot to mention it to sean at the time for some reason.

In 5th gear only I have a boost cut at 21psi. If I go WOT in 5th gear it will go normal until it reaches 21psi then it will just flutter like hell until I let off the throttle.

Another problem that is odd is on the dyno we could not get the car to rev past 7700rpm no matter what we set the limiter to. Sean advised me to change back to the original rom of the car and copy and paste his tune in the new rom (which I did not do yet but am planning on doing)

Im posting this to see if anyone else has ever experienced this? This was with rom 94170015 and the cars original ecu rom was 96420008

Thanks...

Other then these 2 issues the car is perfect as far as the tuning aspect goes.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
So I was tuned yesturday by iveytune and before my tune these issues occured as well, its just I forgot to mention it to sean at the time for some reason.

In 5th gear only I have a boost cut at 21psi. If I go WOT in 5th gear it will go normal until it reaches 21psi then it will just flutter like hell until I let off the throttle.

Another problem that is odd is on the dyno we could not get the car to rev past 7700rpm no matter what we set the limiter to. Sean advised me to change back to the original rom of the car and copy and paste his tune in the new rom (which I did not do yet but am planning on doing)

Im posting this to see if anyone else has ever experienced this? This was with rom 94170015 and the cars original ecu rom was 96420008

Thanks...

Other then these 2 issues the car is perfect as far as the tuning aspect goes.
Sounds like plugs with the "boost cut" to me it will flutter like all crap until its let off. Has to do with cylinder pressure and the old plugs not being able to fire. Just a set of new plugs or a regap will usually fix it

The rev limit may be related but i never really tried it myself

Good luck!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Sounds like plugs with the "boost cut" to me it will flutter like all crap until its let off. Has to do with cylinder pressure and the old plugs not being able to fire. Just a set of new plugs or a regap will usually fix it

The rev limit may be related but i never really tried it myself

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. The bpr8es are brand new though and gapped at .022
Every gear pulls hard but 5th. Its done this before I even got tuned and only happens in 5th. Im pretty sure its not ignition related.

would running to lean foul plugs fast? I was tuned lean before i got my good tune done.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
As to the boost cut I would have to agree. As to the revlimit, double check your evo7base.xml on the 94170015 rom. The reason I say it, look at how many threads have come with issue on the 94170015 rom with weird random issues at idle, or at cruising, etc. The latest map put out by Mitsu for the evo8 was was the 96420011. Maybe there is the code that is not yet dissasembled that is maybe defined wrong. looks good now, but has an unseen issue with other tables in the same romid, dont know. Just a suggestion, REVLimit is a single table, wich means you could be seeing multiple ROMID code, so multiple memory addresses. The other stuff sounds mostly hardware or adjustment somewhere.

Last edited by Raceghost; Oct 1, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Alright you guys got me convinced, im going to change the plugs. This is the same thing sean told me to do initially after I emailed him.

The evo7base.xml I will check, thats the first someone mentioned that, I really hoep its that because I don't want to stop using this rom.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Oct 1, 2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Raceghost
As to the boost cut I would have to agree. As to the revlimit, double check your evo7base.xml on the 94170015 rom. The reason I say it, look at how many threads have come with issue on the 94170015 rom with weird random issues at idle, or at cruising, etc. The latest map put out by Mitsu for the evo was the 96420011. Maybe there is the code that is not yet dissasembled that is maybe defined wrong. looks good now, but has an unseen issue with other tables in the same romid, dont know. Just a suggestion, REVLimit is a single table, wich means you could be seeing multiple ROMID code, so multiple memory addresses. The other stuff sounds mostly hardware or adjustment somewhere.
Do you think maybe the original rom id is writing to a memory block that is non existent on the 94170015 rom? So maybe flashing back the original rom with the 8k limit set then reflashing back the other rom overtop may resolve it? Im not sure exactly how our ecu's work but could this work maybe?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
You can try that. it seemed to help. I flashed back to my stock rom, tried to start the car, shut it off, waited 10 seconds, then flashed over to the new rom. Then started, idled, logged. Was much better IMO.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Just following up the problem was caused by NLTS turned on. apparently you cant shift normal and go through the gears with nlts .
Old Oct 6, 2009, 06:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
should be able to

check your NLTS settings, it will only kick in @ 98% TPS.

most guys get caught out when they either:
a) getting ready to shift by pushing a *little* bit on the clutch pedal
b) have a dodgey top clutch switch

My recommendation would be either:
a) disable NLTS if you dont use it or plan to
b) get some foam and put it on the pedal so the clutch switch stays engaged longer (as well as checking the disenangement point)

sorry i didn't see this thread earlier
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tephra
should be able to

check your NLTS settings, it will only kick in @ 98% TPS.

most guys get caught out when they either:
a) getting ready to shift by pushing a *little* bit on the clutch pedal
b) have a dodgey top clutch switch

My recommendation would be either:
a) disable NLTS if you dont use it or plan to
b) get some foam and put it on the pedal so the clutch switch stays engaged longer (as well as checking the disenangement point)

sorry i didn't see this thread earlier
I cant believe I forgot to turn the option off myself! And I had the settings setup dodgey so I believe thats why it was activating like it was. I had it set to activate at 100% load. Keep up the kickass work with these mods man!