Notices
ECU Flash

stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
OH BOY...here we go again. Can you just drop it already? ? ?

Now that YOU look like the "Guru" (wasn't that the word you used for me?) you should be happy.

Let it go.
I have let it go. I wouldnt have posted anything about it if you didnt make post #52

Please no more off topic comments.

Originally Posted by Smoothgangsta
Well, I do understand not wanting to disclose things when you invest time and effort to try ALOT of different things and then find a solution to an issue and then people are asking for all that effort. I just want to say thanks to all 3 of you for being kind enough to share and post the info. I am going to try some of those changes over the weekend and observe the results and will report back next week sometime.

Much thanks.

Your welcome. Hopefully it works/helps you out.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ended up doing the following:

Mivec changes
------------------
3.6, 4.2 and 4.8 in the 500, 750 and 1000 RPMs and in the 10-40 load range and it seems to have cured the severe IDLE drop and stall issue with the AC on full blast while putting the clutch in and coasting to a stop...regardless of RPM

3 High octane ignition maps
-----------------------------------
I also just used 8* timing in the 0-1000 RPMs and in the 0-40 load columns on all 3 high octane ignition maps.

My only concern is running mivec intake advance in those cells...can it impact other parts of the tune? The idle is a tad rough, and I have bumped up the timing 3* in the 3 high octane ignition maps...but it doesn't seem to make a difference, plus I don't want to advance mivec and timing too much in combination and cause issues...if it could.

Any thoughts...?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smoothgangsta
I ended up doing the following:

Mivec changes
------------------
3.6, 4.2 and 4.8 in the 500, 750 and 1000 RPMs and in the 10-40 load range and it seems to have cured the severe IDLE drop and stall issue with the AC on full blast while putting the clutch in and coasting to a stop...regardless of RPM

3 High octane ignition maps
-----------------------------------
I also just used 8* timing in the 0-1000 RPMs and in the 0-40 load columns on all 3 high octane ignition maps.

My only concern is running mivec intake advance in those cells...can it impact other parts of the tune? The idle is a tad rough, and I have bumped up the timing 3* in the 3 high octane ignition maps...but it doesn't seem to make a difference, plus I don't want to advance mivec and timing too much in combination and cause issues...if it could.

Any thoughts...?
Glad it worked . I originally got the idea when I remembered that from the old mivec tuning thread it stated that if you run this aggressive map occasionally your idle would rise up over 1K after hard runs and that got me thinking hummm I wonder if that would work for the stalling issue with large cams and low and behold it did!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've adopted both the timing and MIVEC tricks and idle seems to have improved a bit, however I think my boost leak is still messing around with it. Going to the shop today to get it fixed!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Cool, yeah I was reading that MIVEC tuning thread. I don't think I want to go that aggressive in some of those cells, looked like they were running 13+ intake advance in some of those idle cells.

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; Sep 2, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got my boost leak solved, the idle is VERY smooth now. Now I need to see if I can add a bit more advance at idle and get a bit of lope from the cams!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
Finally got my boost leak solved, the idle is VERY smooth now. Now I need to see if I can add a bit more advance at idle and get a bit of lope from the cams!
Adding timing at idle smooths lope.

If you want more lope, then retard the timing.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I meant MIVEC advance - sorry, wasn't clear. May lower the timing a bit as well though. A bit of both I guess.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
Where was the leak?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
The timing "hole" that Jay posted is a well proven technique, however I would suggest setting the 0-10 load and 0rpm to 8* to help when cranking, rather than 20* which may give the starter a hard time.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
Where was the leak?
TB shaft seals. Replaced the stock ones with some Mil.Spec high pressure seals.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

I have those same seals in mine also. Mine were actually good when I had them checked about 1 month ago...but since the throttle body was out I had them replaced as added insurance since I have a higher mileage car.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlin.oz
The timing "hole" that Jay posted is a well proven technique, however I would suggest setting the 0-10 load and 0rpm to 8* to help when cranking, rather than 20* which may give the starter a hard time.
I'm pretty sure the ECU automatically has a pre-determined timing value for cranking. Usually 5* if memory serves me. When the ECU see's power on the starter input wire it locks the timing value. It would be nice to actually know where this parameter is for ECUFLash. Might be handy for E-85 guys. I had the 5* issue when I first installed the Evo8 ECU in my 1G dsm and accidentally had the starter wire getting power (or ground, cant recall) and timing was locked at 5* I think. Its in my 'Evo8 ECU in a 1G works' thread somewhere.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Sep 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Well, all of a sudden, the rough idle is back. It'll be normal for a little while when I stop at a red light for instance, then it'll go rich (12-13 afr) and climb up to ~1200rpm, then suddenly go full lean (21 afr on my ZT-2) and dip down to 2-300 rpm. If I give it 3 seconds or so it'll gradually climb back up to it's regular idle (1000 rpm).

Any suggestions? While I had my boost leak I had the idle running in closed loop and it was fine, if that helps out any.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sum good info here.. thanks guys lol

Quick Reply: stalling issues