Notices
ECU Flash

Idle issue - very lean, weird STFT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have this problem. When it first started my friend Paul from ECS performance spent some time adjusting my latencys due to the stfc and ltfc seemed to be off a bit. This seemed to smooth thing out for a few months, but when I disconected the battery to install new plugs, and wires it came back and has been doing it again for months now. I do have a slight leak at the TB shaft seals, so I will be replacing those. I also noticed that the clicking sound that others have heard is also happening to me. It seems to be the fan kicking on. This problem with mine seems to happen only when I have the heat/blower on or A/C on. When the fan kicks on the voltage drops to 12's-13's volts and the idle drops from 1200rpm to 500-600rpm. The fan kicks off and every thing comes back to normal. If anyone has more info on this please step in and help us out, because this sucks!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coneman
I too have this problem. When it first started my friend Paul from ECS performance spent some time adjusting my latencys due to the stfc and ltfc seemed to be off a bit. This seemed to smooth thing out for a few months, but when I disconected the battery to install new plugs, and wires it came back and has been doing it again for months now. I do have a slight leak at the TB shaft seals, so I will be replacing those. I also noticed that the clicking sound that others have heard is also happening to me. It seems to be the fan kicking on. This problem with mine seems to happen only when I have the heat/blower on or A/C on. When the fan kicks on the voltage drops to 12's-13's volts and the idle drops from 1200rpm to 500-600rpm. The fan kicks off and every thing comes back to normal. If anyone has more info on this please step in and help us out, because this sucks!
Interesting, because I also have a slight leak in the TB area, though it shouldn't be the shaft seals because I've already had those replaced with Mil.Spec ones.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by coneman
Disconnecting the battery zeroed out you're fuel trim.
If you're latency/scaling was still off and the trim kept everything together and happy, now that they have been zeroed out, the problem appear again. Scaling injectors and latency is no doubt a PITA but it has to be done right and there's more than one way to skin a cat so alot of tuner use different way but usually lead to a good results and some "tooners" will rescale your MAF sensor even if the only thing you changed are the injectors and they are covering up potential issue. MAF scaling, injectors scaling and latency are a few of the things that affect your trim.

You have to find a way to log what you're trim are at right now, without that it's pretty hard to try and help you by shooting in the dark.

Since latency are based on battery voltage, going in the 12V might be a zone where the latency is a bit off and you see the issue.

Last edited by Kasander; Mar 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just gonna add some info to this, but it may not be useful (noting that I'm adding this because of the base fuel pressure being brought up, and my experience).

I have 2 '06 MR's, one more modded than the other, but still stock cams stock turbo.
Both are V7, one 88591715, the other 88590715 (I believe those are the correct ROM's).

The SD one has the problems described here, is running on PTE880's, Walbro 255.
The MAF car is on stock pump stock injectors.

The SD car has the problems here, it also drops dead at clutch in when coming to a stop quite frequently. The MAF car idles like OEM.

The only thing I messed with in the SD map is timing and fueling, as it is running more boost. The MAF car is just the ROM as I downloaded it.

I scaled my injectors per the MEGAMERGE injector scaling thread.

If there is any other info I can provide, ask.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Just gonna add some info to this, but it may not be useful (noting that I'm adding this because of the base fuel pressure being brought up, and my experience).

I have 2 '06 MR's, one more modded than the other, but still stock cams stock turbo.
Both are V7, one 88591715, the other 88590715 (I believe those are the correct ROM's).

The SD one has the problems described here, is running on PTE880's, Walbro 255.
The MAF car is on stock pump stock injectors.

The SD car has the problems here, it also drops dead at clutch in when coming to a stop quite frequently. The MAF car idles like OEM.

The only thing I messed with in the SD map is timing and fueling, as it is running more boost. The MAF car is just the ROM as I downloaded it.

I scaled my injectors per the MEGAMERGE injector scaling thread.

If there is any other info I can provide, ask.
your RPM ve must be way off if your cars stalling from reving up on SD or map calibration/ve is off. also biss / iac calibration may be off on that vehicle also..

properly setup SD should act just like the maf car. there are no compromises so far that i can tell at all.

just a note for others;

granted injectors are scaled and latency is right.. i look at a few things at idle.. STFT and o2 voltage... o2 voltage should be constantly cycling and STFT should be as close to 0 as possible.. if STFT is way off then MAF needs scaled properly to get it in proper range. of course fuel trim low should be as close to 0 as possible as well, which is done via latency voltages. be sure the trim tables that control airflow crossover from low, mid, high, are adjusted properly as well so the vehicle uses the proper trim table.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Good news! The idle is now 90% fixed, just cold starts are a bit rough sometimes.

A combination of the adjustable FPR, new injector scalings and rescaling the MAF are what fixed the idle for me.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Raptord
Good news! The idle is now 90% fixed, just cold starts are a bit rough sometimes.

A combination of the adjustable FPR, new injector scalings and rescaling the MAF are what fixed the idle for me.
Glad to hear hehe. cold start and idle trim will be an easy fix, we will check that friday or the 17th right after the event