Notices
ECU Flash

1 count of constant knock across the board?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 count of constant knock across the board?

Hello all,

Im fairly new to the process of tuning and logging. Right now i have a 2003 evo with a few bolt-ons ( injectors, tbe, I/C piping, EBC, etc) I know the tune on the car is HORRIBLE right now. The car was tuned a few months ago at a shop in CT and it didnt come out so great, so ive been slowly trying to learn as much as i can to hopefully straighten out my own car.

Anyways, I know the car is running SUPER rich. It just reeks of unburnt gas. Ive been doing dozens of evoscan logs with the car but the knock sum always seems to stay constant at a count of 1. The knock voltage fluctuates a bit, but usually between 0.6v-1.4v. ive also noticed a few times where timing advance is at 46*

Am i getting so little knock because of how rich the car is running? or because the timing is so out of whack? A replacement serial cable is on the way so i will be able to log AFR's in a couple days.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Can you post the actual log? that would help quite a bit. Put it a zip archive so you can upload it here, or upload it to google docs so we can view it directly.

Looks like you're getting constant 10 knocksum, not 1. Timing curve (not that you could really call it a curve in your case) looks very odd indeed.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, things are a little weird with my car right now. Ive done probably about 30 logs in the last couple days and they all seem to be similar.

Here is the google doc of the above top graph

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CMvr9MoO

Thanks again!

Last edited by evonewb29; Feb 23, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Dead link. Make sure you set it to public so we have permission to see it.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

It should work now.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yep it does.

First of all, you're logging too many things and that's slowing down your logging speed. If you have "log to screen" enabled, turn that off as well.

Something does look wrong though, I'd take it easy on the car and stay out of boost except for logging pulls until it gets resolved.

I'm curious to see what others have to say as well.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice. Ill change the loging settings and will try to do a couple of runs tomorrow. Thankfully i only work a couple miles from where i can live so i can take it easy on the car.

im having an issue posting up the ignition maps but it is pretty close to a stock map. Just a couple *'s off at the highest rpm/load cells
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
evonewb29 send me a regular .csv to tuning@vr-speed.com. log knockvolts beside knocksum and rev it in neutral to around 5k and send log ill let you know what it is after i see the log.

send me your rom also if you can. just by looking at the maps and seeing the rev log i can get an idea whats going on.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Ill get the logs over to you. Thanks for the help. I actually just installed the Muse upper/lower IC pipes i got from you but the car has run like crap since well before i installed them.

Just for haha's ill pull my plugs when there is some sunlight tomorrow too. they only have about 400 miles on them but who knows....
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

pretty high quality pipes for the price right? lol.. i was shocked when i first purchased my muse stuff.. i was expecting semi cheap stuff, not nice stuff and 3-4 ply couplers and strong tbolt clamps.. that is why i now work for tiago, hes a great guy.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
Former Sponsor

responded to your email.. so others know the timing map actually looks quite normal.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

yeah man, im really happy with them. It was a much nicer settup than what i was expecting honestly. They went in pretty smoothly too. Tonight was the first time ive driven the car since i put the pipes in as i was getting an o2 bung welded in my downpipe. im just happy the pipe didnt pop off the throttle body as the stock one loved to do.

EDIT: after looking at the rom and table, can i believe the 1 knock count? i really doubt thats correct, but im not a pro. Do knock sensors crap out? mine still seems to read a difference in voltage

Last edited by evonewb29; Feb 23, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evonewb29
yeah man, im really happy with them. It was a much nicer settup than what i was expecting honestly. They went in pretty smoothly too. Tonight was the first time ive driven the car since i put the pipes in as i was getting an o2 bung welded in my downpipe. im just happy the pipe didnt pop off the throttle body as the stock one loved to do.

EDIT: after looking at the rom and table, can i believe the 1 knock count? i really doubt thats correct, but im not a pro. Do knock sensors crap out? mine still seems to read a difference in voltage
I responded to that in the email. The timing map looks fine, nothing bad about it. has a nice shape, and is following all the rules that ignition timing should. looks like a well made map to me. (whether the numbers on it are correct or not for your current mods/fuel etc .. you wont know until you do a WOT pull)

I need to see the rev log to give you any solid advice on what that log was doing. does it constantly show 1 count even with the engine idling? yes knock sensors crap out.

its normal for the voltage to spike when knock is detected, thats how it determines if its real knocksum or not. once those voltage spikes peak past a certain threshhold it will register as actual knocksum.

Was it doing this 1 count consistent before you installed the piping? possibly somethings causing vibrations from the pipe hitting something if not?

I know the pipe can hit the driver side trans/engine mount depending how its installed.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Ive been getting a constant "1" knocksum since before the IC pipes were installed. Under no conditions have i been able to get the car to register a knock count of more than 1.

Im going to check my plugs and a couple other things a little later on. Im hoping it turns out to be something small as to why the car runs like crap.

I should have my lm-2 up and running tomorrow night so i should be able to get some complete logs.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure you are logging the right request for knocksum? Are you logging request 26 with a formula of just 'x'?

If that checks out, do you have your MUT table defined? What is the variable listed in 26 and what is your ROM ID?

If that checks out, there is a knocksum that the ECU will default to when there is a problem with something like the knock sensor or it's circuitry or something like that (I forgot the exact criteria), but going from my memory, I thought the default knocksum was 12 (again can't exactly remember).

Quick Reply: 1 count of constant knock across the board?