ECU Flash

Inexpensive 4-channel temperature acquistion for EGT or other

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Inexpensive 4-channel temperature acquistion for EGT or other

Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd mention that I've worked out an inexpensive 4-channel temperature logging system that can work with EvoScan. See the picture below. It can be used for 4-channel EGT logging, or for logging any other temperature of interest, e.g., turbo outlet, intercooler outlet, etc. The $125 US price is pretty amazing considering that all other 4-channel EGT kits I found that have analog outputs for EvoScan cost $250-$400.

The picture doesn't show everything needed. Obviously the Type-K thermocouples and thermocouple interconnect wire are needed. Premade Type-K thermocouples can be purchased from VEMS, or for those people who know something about thermocouples, Omega.com is a good place to go. I figure that I can build a complete kit with everything needed for $450.

Also, this setup requires the DLP-IO8 cable to interface with EvoScan. Currently, scaling formulas do not work for the DLP-IO8 in Evoscan. Instead, it only shows the DLP-IO8 voltage. If you want scaling formulas to be able to record temperature rather than the voltage, start a support ticket on the EvoScan website to let him know that you want it.

Attached Thumbnails Inexpensive 4-channel temperature acquistion for EGT or other-vems-4xegt-amplifier-dlp-io8_reduced.jpg  

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 2, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Google!

I'd like to gain a little insight into egt tuning instead of just ending the process with no knock and "ideal" afrs..

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Apr 1, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Google!

I'd like to gain a little insight into egt tuning instead of just ending the process with no knock and "ideal" afrs..
If you want the fastest possible response, then a small diameter thermocouple probe is needed. The appropriate Omega thermocouple would be:

TJ36-CAXL-116U-18

This thermocouple is 1/16" diameter and likely will have a relatively short life so it wouldn't be appropriate for full time usage. A more durable one with a 1/8" diameter is:

TJ36-CAXL-18U-18

Both of these thermocouples have 18" long probes and 36" of lead wire, so they should be long enough to reach into the passenger compartment for a relatively straight shot. (The VEMS EGT amplifier needs to go in the passenger compartment.) If extra thermocouple wire is needed to make the run, then some appropriate thermocouple extension wire would be:

EXTT-K-24-25 (25 ft of 24 ga Type-K wire)

And a male/female thermocouple connector pair is:

SMPW-K-MF (for each thermocouple that needs extension wiring)

The appropriate Swagelok fittings for the 1/16" and 1/8" diameter probes are:

SS-100-1-2BT (for 1/16" diameter thermocouple)

SS-200-1-2BT (for 1/8" diameter thermocouple)

These fittings are tube compression on one end and 1/8" NPT male on the other end. You'll of course need 1/8" NPT female weld-on bungs for the manifold.

That pretty much covers everything needed to set this up using DIY thermocouples. If you want a prebuilt solution, so with the VEMS thermocouples. Its just a bit more money.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for making stock ECU more incredible!