EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   how to tune for VTA BOV with ecuflash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/299751-how-tune-vta-bov-ecuflash.html)

spooch Oct 5, 2007 06:44 AM

how to tune for VTA BOV with ecuflash

Im running a Greddy Type S VTA and am trying to get my car to not run so ridiculously rich at idle, any help would be really appreciated... I have ecuflash and mitsulogger and evoscana but i dont have a wideband o2 as of right now.. Car runs ridiculously rich at idle

mifesto Oct 5, 2007 06:51 AM

i dont think your VTA bov is your issue. VTA is only an issue when you left off throttle from some level of boost, NOT from idling. how do u know ur even running rich without a wideband?

recompile Oct 5, 2007 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by mifesto (Post 4818181)
i dont think your VTA bov is your issue. VTA is only an issue when you left off throttle from some level of boost, NOT from idling. how do u know ur even running rich without a wideband?

+1

And while you may be able to band-aid a VTA by leaning the appropriate cells in EcuFlash, the problem will always be there, due to the fact that you have a MAF sensor.

EvoBroMA Oct 5, 2007 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie (Post 4818191)
+1

And while you may be able to band-aid a VTA by leaning the appropriate cells in EcuFlash, the problem will always be there, due to the fact that you have a MAF sensor.

well, technically its not necessarily the MAF sensor itself - its just in the wrong place for VTA. ideally the MAF sensor would be in between the VTA BOV, and the throttle plate - like the MAF Translator setup.

spooch Oct 5, 2007 07:11 AM

i know the car wasnt really rich before, but now with the vta on the car my exhaust smells really bad @ idle and if im in neutral and am pegging it and holding @ rev limit of 7600for a few seconds theres a ****load of black smoke that comes out the exhaust... I have a stock exhaust on the car right now, do you think its the catalytic converter then ?

TeStUdO Oct 5, 2007 07:19 AM

Why would you put your car in neutral and peg it off the rev limiter is my question.

The was the exhaust smells doesnt mean you are running rich. Your VTA BOV wont cause you to suddenly run rich at idle.

scottatyamaha Oct 5, 2007 07:20 AM

I got a idea, get a clue and take off the VTA BOV.

spooch Oct 5, 2007 07:21 AM

my buddy whose a tech said that if it blows a real lot of black smoke if i was pegging it to rev limit you could tell if your cat was clogged because he had some fear the cat was clogged.. He says it isnt clogged, he endedup taking it off the car but he said its running real rich at idle unsure on teh road since there is no wideband

C6C6CH3vo Oct 5, 2007 07:32 AM

VTA will not work correctly unless you stooge the ecu to respond drivable to the metered air that vented out, and that could take years to get that right. The whole configuration would need to be changed unless your happy with decreased performance

raiceboi697 Oct 5, 2007 07:34 AM

go with a stock DV valve and i bet all your problems go away

spooch Oct 5, 2007 07:35 AM

im dont really care about 5 horsepower or a little bit of boost lag etc as long as its not drastic and driving the car around i really cant notice any power or boost loss and calll me a ricer i love the sound of the type S... It is idling fine no bouncing around, just my exhaust looks black and appears to be running rich as **** at idle... maybe bov isnt the problem but it didnt do that until i had the bov on

Jeff_Jeske Oct 5, 2007 07:42 AM

I would check for a vacuum/boost leak before changing your tune. Odds are you have a rouge loose clamp or leaking hose.

Always troubleshoot the last modification before blaming something like the cat.

For the record you should have black smoke at redline in neutral. That burnt fuel has to go somewhere.

Double check all hose clamps and fittings on all pipes and tubes that you fooled around with while installing the BOV. Did you you cap the hole going to the intake pipe? If the turbo is sucking in unregulated air from the dump tube that could very well be your problem.

TeStUdO Oct 5, 2007 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by spooch (Post 4818297)
im dont really care about 5 horsepower or a little bit of boost lag etc as long as its not drastic and driving the car around i really cant notice any power or boost loss and calll me a ricer i love the sound of the type S... It is idling fine no bouncing around, just my exhaust looks black and appears to be running rich as **** at idle... maybe bov isnt the problem but it didnt do that until i had the bov on

Ricer. I guess blowing off on civics and neons is more important than a properly running car to you.

mifesto Oct 5, 2007 07:49 AM

i understand if you like that 'woosh'.. alot of people do. but yes you are a ricer if you throw parts onto the car with no understanding of how it works simply because it looks or sounds cool (especially when its affecting your car in a negative way).

i highly recommend the APS dual bov. it vents mostly to recirculate but on higher boost it will VTA some and give you that 'woosh' sound and avoid disrupting the MAF readings post throttle let-off.

scottatyamaha Oct 5, 2007 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TeStUdO (Post 4818320)
Ricer. I guess blowing off on civics and neons is more important than a properly running car to you.

lol!!!