Notices
ECU Flash

Topic of the week?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topic of the week?

Just wondering if we should do a topic of the week corresponding to what all the tuning parameters in Ecuflash do and when it would be advised to apply them. Granted this is kind of general but I figure this may help ramp up the learn time for some of us EFI tuning newbies (especially since we have a very knowledgable and helpful guy in MJ-MalibuJack).

For example the MAF size and MAF sensor filtering - what does it do? and when would we apply this?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a cool idea.

MAF size allows you to scale the MAF for aftermarket units (GM 3", GM 3.5", etc) just as you would scale for different injectors. With bigger motors/turbos the OEM MAF has trouble handling the increase in ariflow and luckily there are a few upgrades available to us where we can fix the problem and still retain a MAF.

I'm not familiar with the MAF sensor filtering yet.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so you can successfully swap in a blow-through GM MAF just using ECUFlash for adjustment?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Apparently Jack has.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The MAF Size and other settings like Smoothing and Calibration values are specifically to size a karmann sensor, raising the value in the size would indicate a larger sensor, so it should expect a lower MAF input frequency representing higher airflow..

I have used this to play with the settings on occasion, but found that this stuff is generally best left alone unless you have some specific reason to alter the VE of the engine where the airflow would be really fouled up.

I have a blowthrough sensor, it is calibrated to match a stock sensor very closely and therefore didn't require any alteration of these settings besides some of the calibration values in the midrange.. Ultimately my setup is a prototype and a production unit would likely not require that.

Its likely you'd never have to alter this, Unless you found a larger sensor from another mitsubishi that you'd like to run. (A truck MAF or something) As far as I know, the largest production mitsubishi Karmann sensor is used on the Evo anyway.

FWIW, the value coming out of the sensor is air volume, so technically this is a VAF sensor (volumetric AirFlow) Its mass is calculated based on Temp and Baro reading, additionally the several correction tables in the ECU.. This is why I don't recommend altering any of those settings unless you really understand how each one affects the others.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Ultimately my setup is a prototype and a production unit would likely not require that....
RuhHealey...dibs on first production unit

In other news, I was thinking of suggesting standardized notation of maps. For instance someone wants to refer to something specific, lessay one load cell where they have isolated knock to...it could look like this?:

5500/240/14. Fairly self explanatory, RPM/Load/Timing or fuel or whatever.

Multiple notation is simple:

5500/240-280/14,13,12

Just an idea. That way we dont have to post whole hex files, screenshots or compromise some critical part of a purchased map. We can just say, hey this is what I got here and I am wondering if this is whats causing X or Y.

Then you could link it to a logged event even:

5500/240-280/14,13,12=Knock 14/timing 8...WTF or whatever you want to post to ask the question.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Aug 5, 2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

What about for those that have a cone filter? By all accounts a cone filter really messes up the readings that the MAF sees. Would the MAF sensor filtering help smooth that out? If not where would you adjust this?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Filters and intakes lower the MAF reading generally.. You may find it runs leaner in lower RPM ranges because of that.. Typically the adjustments are the 100-150% load cells, from 2000-3500rpm adding fuel in the regions that say 14.7, 13.5 or so.. about a half point..