Notices
ECU Flash

Looking for an EVOscan tutorial

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for an EVOscan tutorial

I just got my Tactrix cable, ECUflash software and EVOscan software. I found this ECUflash tutorial.

However, I have not been able to find anything similar for EVOscan. I've searched for "evoscan tutorial", "evoscan user guide", "evoscan documentation", "evoscan manual", "evoscan instructions", etc. I've found nothing. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
EvoScan isn't as complex thats probably why. But here's a super short one:

1) Connect up the Tactrix cable just like you would for ECUFlash
2) Start the car
3) Select what settings you want to log (be sure to select "Knock Sum" since its not turned on to be logged by default).
4) Hit Start Datalogger button...once all is well you should hear "Link Engaged"
5) Do your runs and then hit the Stop Datalogger button
6) Open the log file in Excel or the Open Office equivalent or your Log Analysis program of choice

You should be good to go
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I got the logging to work just fine. I was trying to figure out how to playback the log or view it or analyze it, or whatever.

What are the recommended Log Analysis programs. I thought EVOScan did log analysis? Did I misunderstand something?

And, every time I need it the menu bar has disappeared. That is why I was looking for a user guide or tutorial to walk me through it.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The menu disappears when you are logging. If it stays gone, that is an issue.

To review your log, select "Log Graphs > Review Saved Log File." (This might not be 100% correct ... I'm at work and going from memory) From here, you select your .csv log file and it will graph for you. If you have made edits to the log file in an application like Excel, EvoScan will no longer be able to graph them for you.

If you've logged RPM and speed, you can use the hp/tq function. It's not very accurate, but can be useful for comparison of 2 runs. To use this, choose the "Power" tab at left in the graph window. You can use the pull down menu to choose the "Power Run" section of the graph. I believe that it just looks for consistent rise in RPM and Speed for a given amount of time. After you trim down to your "Power Run" then you can click the "Calculate Power and Torque" button to get your power graph. If there is no "Power Run" listed in the pull down, the hp/tq calculation will likely not work.

You can also use the "Power Run" selection to quickly trim down to the acceleration run in your log for quick evaluation.

Another thing, when you trim the graph down to just the acceleration run, it still graphs the rest of the run and the scale reflects that. It sucks for my sometimes because my AFR readings tend to have lots of spikes and it crushes the graph vertically, making it harder to interpret the values.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, TB. I think you answered all my questions.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad I could help.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help as well

I just got a tune from a famous shop and I feel a bit disappointed. I wont mention the shop because they have a good name and seem to sell good products and Im not that kind of person. I have these mods;

GSC 272 cams
Intake, TBE, O2 Housing
FMIC with 3" Upper and lower pipes
Hallman MBC set around 21psi
ACT 6 Puck clutch
Stainless tubular header
All this on a 04 evo 8

Now on the dyno they put down 322 HP (Granted it was 100 degrees out with 80% humidity) the dyno was a dynojet.

I just thought my car was capable of more, Maybe Im wrong?!
Ive been to the track several times and my cars seems very hit or miss.... I will make passes on the street and it feels extremely slow, then it feels fast, weather has no effect either. With a nice big FMIC you would think my car would pull harder when its 60 degrees out, but sometimes it feels slower. I HATE seat of pants criticism and tuning, and I know thats what Im doing here but I need some advise.

I actually had the privilege of working for Mitsubishi in Schaumberg before they closed and im no idiot when it comes to cars, and turbo charging. I just purchased a tactrix cable, ecu flash and Evoscan, but im not understanding evoscan at all.... I dont have gauges in my car as of yet and was hoping evoscan could take care of that... Every time i open the gauge for boost (MDP) its useless and im told the evo 8 USDM cant read boost above a certain low psi range??! I dont think this could be correct, but maybe it is?! If so how do i fix this?! It reads 24 psi at idle! and then goes down when under WOT..

This shop also set my MBC and i havent touched it, Maybe because of the weather and humidity the controller isnt set right?! Like i said, i dont have gauges, and ive heard of people having to adjust MBC for conditions....

Also, Im using a wideband lm-1 and when i open that guage it reads CRAZY, like 1-100?! Why wouldnt it read in terms of Lamba/afr? One last question, Is there a good gauge setup, and/or knock sensor set up that anyone can get to me?! They claim to have set AFR to 11.4 to 1 But im getting high 10's on the street around 75-80 degrees.

Im going to the drag strip tomorrow to hopefully get some better runs out of my car and figure out whats going on.... I have a lot of breaking up out of first gear, and to pay 450+ dollars for a tune and have this happen kinda sucks... Im WAY better than an average driver and ive only made one 12.2 pass, with every other pass going 12.4. I was hoping for much better times than this, I have a 1.7 60ft, not great but not horrible. and im power shifting every gear EXCEPT 2nd.....

Thanks for the help!
Scott-
Get some good tunes for free on my website, www.djdebo.com
Thanks Again!!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dj Debo
Now on the dyno they put down 322 HP (Granted it was 100 degrees out with 80% humidity) the dyno was a dynojet.
Remember that all dynos are not created equal so 322 on that dyno might be a good thing or it might be a bad thing. You'd have to know some other cars with similiar mods who have gone on that same dyno and use them for reference.

im told the evo 8 USDM cant read boost above a certain low psi range??! I dont think this could be correct, but maybe it is?! If so how do i fix this?! It reads 24 psi at idle! and then goes down when under WOT..
The stock MAP sensor is not able to log boost above some low psi (I forget). If you really want to log boost you'll have to get the JDM map sensor. Mrfred usually organizes group buys on this so you should pm him.

I'll leave any other questions to the more experienced. Keep in mind that they are several tuners on this board who I am sure wouldn't mind taking a look at your tune/logs and help you for a fee.

Or if you want to do this yourself, post up your logs and see if people can help you out.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

another option, to log boost is to use the innovate lma-3, it will log on the free "logworks" program as will the other info. you also get a clear indication of afr btw.
both evoscan and mitulogger are a little fiddly with lm1 or lc1.

you will or have with all the loggers a "knock sum" which is what you want to log knock. keep it below 2 and you should be safe- for the most part.

breaking up in first, is odd.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Good info all...thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:38 PM

help!!

hi i am from uruguay and y have bought the evoscan software through internet. i thought that i could dounload it and with the payment they gave me a password to activate it. am i wrong??? or do they send me a cd with the program inside?? thanks
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:00 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread guys, but I am new and during my search I found this. Just wondering if anyone had found any video tutorials to the Evoscan?

Thanks.

Juanpdu
(even though you may have found it 2 years ago) just for others doing a search, you will get a couple emails from Evoscan,you need to download the program and from one of the emails get the serial number which is what you need to enter to register your software at first startup.
The following users liked this post:
Samdres (Nov 5, 2022)
Old Nov 5, 2022, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got my dream car finally !! and all this info helps !!! even 13 years after
The following 2 users liked this post by Samdres:
BlackOZ_24 (Dec 8, 2022), MicRX (Sep 14, 2023)