Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent write up !
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bnice01
bro very good write up, well written, i enjoyed reading it.

Very true about 9's not liking timing @ all @ peak tq LOL

i think a someone with decent knowledge of cars can tune there own car with this write up.

sticky??
Indeed and I have and I have yet to use a wideband! I just have used one of the radical mivec maps this posts timing and my moderate leaning out of the high fuel map plus John Bradleys mileage mods in the 40-90 range. Much thanks to the OP for giving the knowledge about the IX timing being far too advanced from the factory. To be fair I think a more precise tune could be have on my car with the wideband but for now I am gettng close. This post is a good example of a non greedy evo owner sharing his knowledge of tuning for all evo owners to share. He the OP along with the likes of JohnBradley,mrfred,malibujack and others I can't seem to remember now only point out how awesome the evo community can be

Last edited by PlanoEvo; Oct 28, 2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
just dont get crazy... start slowly, with minor changes.... see what it does and learn....
^^^^^^^^^^^this guy is too smart
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crewdawg130
^^^^^^^^^^^this guy is too smart
hell yeah he is... who is this mad man ? ...... he must know some crazy people that give him crazy **** to throw on his car to make it go fast
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
hell yeah he is... who is this mad man ? ...... he must know some crazy people that give him crazy **** to throw on his car to make it go fast
someone gotto do it!!!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

you will be soon, im gonna keep throwing cash at you until your car is moving on its own
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

yay we got stickage!!! (this thread has been stickied)
Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:56 AM

Thanks Nj1266 for this extremely informative thread about tuning basics.

YOU ROCK
Old Nov 5, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I updated the write-up (2nd post) with info on how to use the knock sensor to set your timing.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj1266
I updated the write-up (2nd post) with info on how to use the knock sensor to set your timing.
Nice stuff man. This will help the newcomers out a LOT. I generally do the same thing by kicking down the timing to where the knock sensor was 'trying' to correct for the knock. I then work my way back up slowly til I find the breaking point....then back off 1* to compensate for climate changes and variances in gas from tank to tank.

Its been a while since I read thru your entire tutorial. Did you emphasize that they should start with a brand new set of plugs, clean air filter and a full boost leak test before diving into a REAL tuning session?? You probably did,lol.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

This thread rocks! Ok, here's something I'm still fuzzy on: it is my understanding that using ECU based boost control allows for boost curve shaping, but you can't go higher than stock boost unless also modifying the boost hose assembly.

Question - is that limit an absolute limit (e.g. can't go higher than XX psi), or is that limit a gain above WG pressure? In other words, could I raise the max boost limit by using an adjustable WG actuator (set to a higher pressure), and still use the stock boost hoses/pills?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by voidhawk
This thread rocks! Ok, here's something I'm still fuzzy on: it is my understanding that using ECU based boost control allows for boost curve shaping, but you can't go higher than stock boost unless also modifying the boost hose assembly.

Question - is that limit an absolute limit (e.g. can't go higher than XX psi), or is that limit a gain above WG pressure? In other words, could I raise the max boost limit by using an adjustable WG actuator (set to a higher pressure), and still use the stock boost hoses/pills?
The limit is due to what the WG can take, the size of the pills and the turbo. So you can set it to the sky, if any of them can't take that boost level you won't hit it .
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
The limit is due to what the WG can take, the size of the pills and the turbo. So you can set it to the sky, if any of them can't take that boost level you won't hit it .
So if I got that right, you're saying whatever has the lowest limit (turbo, WG, pill) is what limits overall max boost. Do we know what the limits are for each of these components?

max_boost(stock WG) = ?
max_boost(stock turbo) = ?
max_boost(stock boost hose/pill) = ?

thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
One of the members here had his boost hose blow off, and he was getting 28 psi tapering to 20 psi at 7000 rpm on stock turbo and WGA setting. I think it was an Evo 8.

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 8, 2007 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: How To Tune an Evo