Notices
ECU Flash

"Logged Timing" deviating from Timing Map, every log, every time it does, it KNOCKS!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
MUT33 by default logs the correct address.

Just edit your evoscan xml and copy/paste the MUT06 line and change it to MUT33 (and give it a unique name)
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also running 26 psi with the mods in my sig with 91 octane(only type we get in my country). I am attaching a log of my recent run(3rd gear) so you can compare the load.
Every car is different. I am just learning the limits of mine.
Attached Files
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chamama
I am also running 26 psi with the mods in my sig with 91 octane(only type we get in my country). I am attaching a log of my recent run(3rd gear) so you can compare the load.
Every car is different. I am just learning the limits of mine.
yours appear to be a 4th gear..his a 3rd..but notice he drops to 18psi at redline..your held up pretty well...

to the op, have you done a boost test at all yet?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ mine also done in 3rd. Speed is in Kmph
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ mine also done in 3rd. Speed is in Kmph
oh..hahahahah!!!

however, if he has boost leak...would his afrs still show up right
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
yours appear to be a 4th gear..his a 3rd..but notice he drops to 18psi at redline..your held up pretty well...

to the op, have you done a boost test at all yet?
Im Still waiting to hear back from the guy @ the shop... If it were up to me, it would have been handled that day...

My car is sorta all over the place. Not consistantly knocking in any 1 spot, but consistantly knocking a spot here, or a spot there, or all over the place... I also have logs that have me @ 19.7psi by 7500
My car hasnt knocked this much since my stock rom!

I appreciate the comparison log. (thoughtful) But Between the start @ 3000 and holding boost the way it is, it appears to be a 4th gear pull... If that is indeed a 3rd gear pull... wow your car pulls hard, and holds boost! 22 @ 7000+ is extremely good... Possibly pushing the turbo out of its efficiency.... upgraded turbo?

I dont understand, (if theres nothing wrong) how the car can be fine @ 5750 @ 7*, and 7* @ 6000, but @ 6125 it wants 4*... Also before I started to retune the car for AFR (as I just got the ZT-2) the car was running upwards of .3 leaner @ peak-6500, w/ barely any knock. Lowered it to what you see 11.5, but didnt help... I just noticed that after 6500 I was running 10.9-10.7 thru 7500. Just looked at my last log and there was only 2 counts of knock @ 11.0 from 6750 thru 7500... So IDK...

Still waiting to hear back from the shop...
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

I was also facing inconsistent knock on my car as well. One log will be fine with no knock, and then suddenly another log would show 6 counts. What I did and found results right away was: I disabled the correction in my ebc; meaning that I had tuned my ebc to increase boost as rpm rises. This somehow affected how my car reacted. As soon as I turned this off, I did not see any knock whatsoever. I was even able to raise my boost from 25 to 26.5 psi, same timing. The bottomline is that, slight UNSTABLE boost/ boost correction caused my inconsistent knocking. So I would suggest you make your boost control more stable. Then, if you see consistent knock in same rpm ranges, then bump down a degree of timing just prior to that rpm range.

And btw, mine is indeed a 3rd gear pull. Turbo is FP WHITE with FP actuator.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:10 AM
EvoM Guru

of course - what you have to remember is that the MAF (where load is detected) is a couple of meters away from the intake, so changes in PSI arn't reflected by the load variable immediatley.

You can see this by logged 2byte load and MAP next to each other.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

I was also facing inconsistent knock on my car as well. One log will be fine with no knock, and then suddenly another log would show 6 counts. What I did and found results right away was: I disabled the correction in my ebc; meaning that I had tuned my ebc to increase boost as rpm rises. This somehow affected how my car reacted. As soon as I turned this off, I did not see any knock whatsoever. I was even able to raise my boost from 25 to 26.5 psi, same timing. The bottomline is that, slight UNSTABLE boost/ boost correction caused my inconsistent knocking. So I would suggest you make your boost control more stable. Then, if you see consistent knock in same rpm ranges, then bump down a degree of timing just prior to that rpm range.

And btw, mine is indeed a 3rd gear pull. Turbo is FP WHITE with FP actuator.
OK scheduled an appt. for tomorrow for the leak test... Now that I think about it, (cause you just brought it up) but when I had my correction zeroed out, if I remember correctly, I didnt see more than a couple counts... My BDEL's were w/in +5 to from my logs, and I dont know why there is soo much correction... But what I have noticed is there is fluctuation in load throughout the entire powerband. usually seeing lower load than I shoud, which (now that I think about it) is why I am seeing so much correction!

After I get the leak test done, I will go through the motions, and figure it out, and report back...

I really appreciate the input guys!

Chamana... I stand corrected, your car must pull like a freight train!
very impressive!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

ok so I went to get the leak test done today... No leak whatsoever up to 27lbs. Checked the plugs... They look fine... He chalked it up to "Bad Gas"! Now Im getting concerned... Do people actually get "bad gas?" (from the pump, for ur car) lol It does make sense... but never happened to me before...

I did notice that there was some residue oil around the oil cap! I Dont have any idea what that means either!!! any ideas??? And no I didnt leave it a mess last oil change.

I was told to log, see if its still knocking, if so fill up again (I need gas) , log (again) and if its still knocking, put in some race gas, and try again... If its still knocking there is a problem!

TIA

Im sorta stressing out a lil, as my Evo is my 1 and only DD!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

A few gas stations I've heard of have been filling the pumps with lower octane illegally to save money. I suspect that was my problem I never posted about a few months back. Try going to a different gas station next time.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra

Just edit your evoscan xml and copy/paste the MUT06 line and change it to MUT33 (and give it a unique name)
ok I tried this tonight, and maybe Im not going about this right... I tried to add a new data item, copy/paste display, log reference, change the request id to 33, copy/paste eval,unit and response bytes and it keps telling me that the log reference "TimingAdv" is already in use... W/ 2.1 I had a "data .xml file folder to open the .xml file and edit, but 2.5 doesnt... The feature in 2.5 only shows me the "display" "log reference" etc. am I missing something?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:54 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah make the new Log Reference something like 'TimingAdv33' or something unique...

I prefer using a text editor to open the XML directly - rather than using the 'edit items' thing in evoscan...
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by tephra

whit 96530006 ROM too?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:41 AM

My ROM is V5.10 96530006.I logged Timing deviating from Timing Map,more timing ..don't exist for my xml definition some tables for trottle/timing,compensations or other factors which modify the timing Map?
What are ECU periphery,bit10?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: "Logged Timing" deviating from Timing Map, every log, every time it does, it KNOCKS!!