Notices
ECU Flash

94170015 MAP to MAF Patch:

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
This is good movement on speed density for all. Just a suggestion do not know if it will work, but couldnt you use mrfred's IAT patch and then edit the code according to get the iat readings from the patched iat sensor?
in theory, yes.

you know, i was looking for that post, i know it got bumped not too long ago..i'll see what he is doing, i'm really not that in tune with the logging and tuning scheme of things. still in alpha stage, but the idle crap works grrrrrrreat!

EDIT: i'm not saying speed density is a LONG ways away, but i am saying i like my current MAF tune and don't want to risk tickets/scrutiny about my maps on evom/time/etc...lol..also, i have to wire up my motorola 4 bar or bite the bullet and get a jdm map sensor. either way, it will happen. i am still putting most of my free time into the coding/learning/so i don't sound like and idiot aspect of it all right now.

i will work on the logging when my clutch is in. thanks for all the input.

Last edited by evoredy; Oct 20, 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe these three pages from the FSM will help out a bit with scaling the sensors and finding replacements?

What voltages does the ECU consider to be 0 and 255 on the ADC inputs?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IAT sensor.pdf (79.0 KB, 18 views)
MDP sensor.pdf (24.0 KB, 16 views)
Baro sensor 2.pdf (50.1 KB, 10 views)
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Maybe these three pages from the FSM will help out a bit with scaling the sensors and finding replacements?

What voltages does the ECU consider to be 0 and 255 on the ADC inputs?
i dunno 0-4.6ish 5 ish, gotta actually check...

thanks for the pdfs, i think i can cal my mdp now lol. hehe WIP

i'll work on situating an airtemp input, flatten it out for now, go over speed density theory and apply it over the next 2 days while my clutch is being installed.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm working on characterizing the readings. Because a range is given, I am using the nominal values of the range for the data points.

For the baro sensor, assuming 0kPa=0 VDC, the equation Voltage(v)=0.0394*pressure(kPa) (R^2=0.9902)
Using a non-zero intercept gives
Voltage(v)=0.0387*pressure(kPa)+0.0677 (R62=0.9905)
Seems like the zero intercept is close enough?

Using an NTC Thermistor model:
Beta=3300 and Ro=6000 and it's a very good fit to the data

Attached is the Excel graphs of the data from the FSM and the curves above.

I'm hoping somebody can fill in the code to make full speed density work. I have access to pressure and temperature standards and I'd do what I can to test out and characterize sensors as replacements to implement speed density if needed.
Attached Thumbnails 94170015 MAP to MAF Patch:-baro-sensor.jpg   94170015 MAP to MAF Patch:-iat-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Oct 20, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I'm working on characterizing the readings. Because a range is given, I am using the nominal values of the range for the data points.

For the baro sensor, assuming 0kPa=0 VDC, the equation Voltage(v)=0.0394*pressure(kPa) (R^2=0.9902)
Using a non-zero intercept gives
Voltage(v)=0.0387*pressure(kPa)+0.0677 (R62=0.9905)
Seems like the zero intercept is close enough?

Using an NTC Thermistor model:
Beta=3300 and Ro=6000 and it's a very good fit to the data

Attached is the Excel graphs of the data from the FSM and the curves above.

I'm hoping somebody can fill in the code to make full speed density work. I have access to pressure and temperature standards and I'd do what I can to test out and characterize sensors as replacements to implement speed density if needed.
cool dude. i'll log when i get a chance and see what i currently get and adjust fire accordingly unless you beat me to it.

gotta sleep now. pt in the morning.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

And for the MDP sensor
Voltage=0.039*pressure(kPa)
Only two data points, but the manual does state it's a linear sensor.
Attached Thumbnails 94170015 MAP to MAF Patch:-mdp.jpg  
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tried this out today on my way to work.

Only issue i really had was getting the immobilizer off so i could get the car to start. The car drove really strange when it was cold sometimes going pretty lean.

Other than that I think its running fairly normal. I forgot to transfer my boost limit and desired engine load over so i ran right into fuel cut, yay. Plus i'm running about .5 AFR leaner on top which isn't too bad can tune that out quickly.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Tried this out today on my way to work.

Only issue i really had was getting the immobilizer off so i could get the car to start. The car drove really strange when it was cold sometimes going pretty lean.

Other than that I think its running fairly normal. I forgot to transfer my boost limit and desired engine load over so i ran right into fuel cut, yay. Plus i'm running about .5 AFR leaner on top which isn't too bad can tune that out quickly.
there is still stuff to be known/logged/documented about the offset/ve_table changes i'll work out unless someone beats me to it. i did go a little leaner on idle which can be tuned, but no boost cruise is spot on the WBO2. i feel i may be running on the mdp more than i want, but under real boost (+5ish above) afrs are where they need to be.

just be careful please, but thanks for trying it out and giving input.

EDIT: my mdp cal table is absolute garbage too lol (but safe). if someone fixes that before me, please post it up!

Last edited by evoredy; Oct 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoredy
there is still stuff to be known/logged/documented about the offset/ve_table changes i'll work out unless someone beats me to it. i did go a little leaner on idle which can be tuned, but no boost cruise is spot on the WBO2. i feel i may be running on the more than i want, but under real boost (+5ish above) afrs are where they need to be.

just be careful please, but thanks for trying it out and giving input.

EDIT: my mdp cal table is absolute garbage too lol (but safe). if someone fixes that before me, please post it up!
I'll be careful I did many partial throttle pulls with my eyes glued to the WB before trying a full boost pull

I am getting some intermittent knock because i was a tad leaner than normal but nothing crazy. The fuel cut scared the **** out of me though
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be careful I did many partial throttle pulls with my eyes glued to the WB before trying a full boost pull

I am getting some intermittent knock because i was a tad leaner than normal but nothing crazy. The fuel cut scared the **** out of me though
its v5.10 disease. i got it too when i forgot to max out boost limit and started a posting frenzy (which i fixed).
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoredy
its v5.10 disease. i got it too when i forgot to max out boost limit and started a posting frenzy (which i fixed).
awesome makes me feel better i'm not the only dolt in this business

I got my laptop with me today after work i plan on turning the boost way down and doing some pulls. I've already added in the fuel which I think is really just me playing with my new injectors.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well took the car one quite a few test runs everything is checking out. I really just need to make timing adjustments for my new cams. As i'm getting knock counts around 2-3 in the lower rpm ranges.

Running really conservative settings and timing right now 10.8 AFR and 20.5psi of boost just to be safe as i test out this map
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Well took the car one quite a few test runs everything is checking out. I really just need to make timing adjustments for my new cams. As i'm getting knock counts around 2-3 in the lower rpm ranges.

Running really conservative settings and timing right now 10.8 AFR and 20.5psi of boost just to be safe as i test out this map
are you using this to fix idle issues or are just testing it out? if you get a chance, verify you are only running on MAP in the lower/reference to 1-2psi ranges.

my cal could be off to about 5-6ish psi. i just threw numbers in there so i wouldn't go linear MAP under mid/full boost. good stuff though. this is a real crude example of SD, but should get the wheels turning. for my idle issues, its great.

on a side note, i'm watching the other SD thread as it seems a lot of good minds are running with some good info/theories.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'll pop the Upper IC pipe off of the car later and see if i can drive around the block
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
As soon as this pans out im jumping on it. Between the injectors, cams, new turbo kit, I have to baby it to a stop or it starts going super rich and choking up wanting to stall. I have my fuel trims in check. Was actually thinking of just giving up and going with a stand alone

Tried tinkering with scaling the MAF no luck there same crap

Last edited by gsrboi80; Oct 22, 2008 at 05:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 94170015 MAP to MAF Patch: