Notices
ECU Flash

ECU Flash Problem on Vista

Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:45 AM
PPM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU Flash Problem on Vista

Okay first I am a Microsoft, etc. Engineer and pretty much know everything there is to know about Windows, networking, hardware, etc. I ran into a strange issue with ECU Flash 1.41 and wanted to share my findings. My vista laptop can write and compare the ROM (this has been verified with another laptop). It can not read. This is not a voltage issue as my Windows XP laptop reads just fine, I have installed, re-installed 20+ times, including cleaning the registry, removing drivers, uninstalling *.dll's etc. Tried every version from 1.28 up with and without EvoScan installed. When I go to read a blank window pops up where you would normally select (Evo 6,7,8) and is blank, either it is not reading the *.txt file associated with that or something else. But those of you having this problem you are not crazy and it is not voltage related or it wouldn't work on every other laptop except my vista laptop. I will continue to investigate this and post my findings. Just wanted to share my dilemma I am fortunate enough to have several laptops, but I am sure some people are stuck. If you have the same problem, just know that you can write and compare so you aren't totally lost. I just don't suggest doing that since you could potentially damage your ECU.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

it works on vista you might need to re-install again, i was having similiar issue but i re-installed it with one of the newer versions and it seems to work now correctly i did it about 2 months ago so i dont really remember what i did when i get home im going to check and post back
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
PPM

I have installed, re-installed, etc, even deleted the entire registry hive, drivers, etc al. It seems to be a problem in the subroutine during a call. I am looking into disasembling some of the code tonight/ tomorrow. I am content using my XP laptop until I figure it out.....
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If that really is the issue then it would have to be some issue with the driver when its being run under Vista. I'd concentrate my investigation there if i was you
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PPM
Okay first I am a Microsoft, etc. Engineer and pretty much know everything there is to know about Windows, networking, hardware, etc. I ran into a strange issue with ECU Flash 1.41 and wanted to share my findings. My vista laptop can write and compare the ROM (this has been verified with another laptop). It can not read. This is not a voltage issue as my Windows XP laptop reads just fine, I have installed, re-installed 20+ times, including cleaning the registry, removing drivers, uninstalling *.dll's etc. Tried every version from 1.28 up with and without EvoScan installed. When I go to read a blank window pops up where you would normally select (Evo 6,7,8) and is blank, either it is not reading the *.txt file associated with that or something else. But those of you having this problem you are not crazy and it is not voltage related or it wouldn't work on every other laptop except my vista laptop. I will continue to investigate this and post my findings. Just wanted to share my dilemma I am fortunate enough to have several laptops, but I am sure some people are stuck. If you have the same problem, just know that you can write and compare so you aren't totally lost. I just don't suggest doing that since you could potentially damage your ECU.

This has happened to me recently as well. I have been running for at least 4 months like this and have made about 5 reflashes. Each time it works but I can not read from my Ecu. I have a blank box with nothing to select. It is good to hear others should be able to read it. I have multiple back-ups of my rom. I hope some one can find a fix.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Does it matter if Vista is a home premium, sp1, sp2 or basic package?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EcuFlash Version 1.41.2483 is working perfectly on my Vista x64 laptop. I couldn't get anything below it to work correctly.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
there're xml definitions for the ecuflash supported cars reside in a directory, usually at:
c:\program files\openecu\ecuflash\rommetadata

Run ecuflash, open File\Options, select Directories\Metadata Directory and set it to the full path to the metadata directory mentioned above.

This will help EcuFlash correctly finding its metadata directory. Usually only "metadata" set in that box and it works because of the executable program relative path is correct but it may not in some cases.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G20
there're xml definitions for the ecuflash supported cars reside in a directory, usually at:
c:\program files\openecu\ecuflash\rommetadata

Run ecuflash, open File\Options, select Directories\Metadata Directory and set it to the full path to the metadata directory mentioned above.

This will help EcuFlash correctly finding its metadata directory. Usually only "metadata" set in that box and it works because of the executable program relative path is correct but it may not in some cases.
Doing this fixed my problem. Thank you for posting it.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:53 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mt057
Doing this fixed my problem. Thank you for posting it.
you're welcome. I'm glad it helps.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Do what g20 said but I also find it beneficial to install in another directory that is not underneath the prgramfiles directory such as c:\ecuflash . you can set the shortcut to run as administrator as well as tick the checkbox for xp compatibility mode. It is also beneficial to double check the metadata directory as sometimes the change does not stick especially after installing/reinstalling uninstalling etc.....
Old May 26, 2009, 10:23 AM
PPM

I will try that again on my other work machine. I am now trying to get EvoScan2.5 on Windows 7, I keep getting errors installing, and then I get a invalid serial error when it works on vista and xp...