Notices
ECU Flash

EGR valve forced open at high boost?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
When the ported vaccum line blows off the top of the EGR the car will lose 12-15whp and be more knock prone. While I am not directly saying the EGR opens, something definitely happens. IF the solenoid was at 0%DC then it will never have flow so it cant blow open, but what is taking place when it wings off? We ziptie them in place and forget about them.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
There has to be some seat diameter, otherwise there is no flow through. The fact that its a needle valve doesn't change the fact that exhaust gas pressure will create force on the valve. As ace33joe said, it all depends on whether the load produced by exhaust gases can overcome the spring load. At any rate, the best answer is that you've documented that you've never seen it open, presumably under very high boost conditions.

Definitely true about EGR reducing pumping losses, but I don't think it does much on the Evo. I definitely don't see a change of 35 kpa between having it enabled and disabled when cruising.

One other interesting tidbit is that Mitsubishi does not have an EGR system on the Evo 10.
The area ratio between the diaphragm and the valve is probably 500:1 or more. It would take impossibly high exhaust pressures to open it *unless* something silly happened like the top port was disconnected but the bottom was still connected. Even then its not opening because of exhaust pressure, its because the pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm overcomes the spring exactly like an external WG. Both WG's and BOV's have low diaphragm to valve area ratios and get some assist from the size of the valve.

Once the throttle plate is open past the venturi effect range of the port, the top and bottom of the diaphragm see the same pressure, then its a matter of diaphragm area, spring pressure, and seat area. Since the diaphragm to seat area ratio is very high, it takes a very large amount of pressure differential to open it via exhaust pressure.

There ya go John Bradley, thy explanation.

If you can move the exh cam centerline you have EGR without a valve.

Last edited by GrocMax; Jul 15, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Block off plate from ebay + red rtv and re used some bolts that I took off the car for something, can't remember. Same thread pitch, perfect length. Torqued to oem specs.

WHen I take off the intake mani for porting I'm gonna have the egr port to the head welded.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GrocMax
The area ratio between the diaphragm and the valve is probably 500:1 or more. It would take impossibly high exhaust pressures to open it *unless* something silly happened like the top port was disconnected but the bottom was still connected. Even then its not opening because of exhaust pressure, its because the pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm overcomes the spring exactly like an external WG. Both WG's and BOV's have low diaphragm to valve area ratios and get some assist from the size of the valve.

Once the throttle plate is open past the venturi effect range of the port, the top and bottom of the diaphragm see the same pressure, then its a matter of diaphragm area, spring pressure, and seat area. Since the diaphragm to seat area ratio is very high, it takes a very large amount of pressure differential to open it via exhaust pressure.

Very nice, thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:15 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had an ebay block-off on mine since the hack was first introduced on this forum. Kept my IM cleaner and now I had the head off recently and took it a step further. MAP installed a block-off plug IN THE HEAD so that zero EGR gasses make it to the intake manifold:

This, combined with a magnus phenolic spacer gasket on the IM keep it cool to the touch after hours on the dyno. I'm really happy with it, and deleting the EGR and all the stuff associated with it cleaned up a LOT of crap in my engine bay.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^ I need that to get that done.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by GrocMax

Your temperature data already proved to me that it doesn't open. :-) However, your 500:1 comment seems a bit over the top, so I'll toss in my 2c. I'd bet the hole is at least 1/4" diameter. If the EGR diaphram is 2" diameter, then the area ratio is 64:1. More importantly though is the load that can be generated from exhaust pressure. C6C6CH3vo measured the exhaust pressure at the EGR hotside. He saw as much as 48 psi with 26 psi at the compressor side at 7000 rpm. Figure maybe 40 lbs is more typical. With a 1/4" EGR opening, that would give a load of about 2 lbs from exhaust pressure. Seems like a pretty light load compared to the likely preload on the EGR spring. Anyhow, good entertainment.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ock-turbo.html
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
How long of bolts do you need for the block-off plate?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Or Dejontool
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have STM's EGR block-off plate. Its a bit spendier, but the rececessed bolts are pretty sexy
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Thanks!

Here is a pic for those of you who have not seen ours.

-Em
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^ I have and installed on on a buddies car a few weeks back... but I don't need them recessed... For me the plate is going between the head and the valve
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Your temperature data already proved to me that it doesn't open. :-) However, your 500:1 comment seems a bit over the top, so I'll toss in my 2c. I'd bet the hole is at least 1/4" diameter. If the EGR diaphram is 2" diameter, then the area ratio is 64:1. More importantly though is the load that can be generated from exhaust pressure. C6C6CH3vo measured the exhaust pressure at the EGR hotside. He saw as much as 48 psi with 26 psi at the compressor side at 7000 rpm. Figure maybe 40 lbs is more typical. With a 1/4" EGR opening, that would give a load of about 2 lbs from exhaust pressure. Seems like a pretty light load compared to the likely preload on the EGR spring. Anyhow, good entertainment.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ock-turbo.html
Valve area ratio is ~ 350:1, 55mm diaphragm 3mm valve.

The opening size doesn't matter, the actual valve seat area and diaphragm area are what influences the mechanics. The exhaust pressure is somewhat irrelevant, you can put shop air at 150 PSI on the bottom of the needle valve and it WON'T OPEN, the spring on top of the diaphram is around 3-4 PSI. Simple hydraulics/pneumatics.

Now here's what happens when the top hose pops off-

Notice even though full EGR flow is present, 'Intake Port Temp' DOESN'T CHANGE AT ALL. At the flow rate the engine is operating in, there simply isn't enough volume of 500F exhaust gasses passing thru the 3mm hole to effect temp, but it will effect power a little. This is a very small very fast TC probe located deep in the intake port at the head, and 'EGR Temp' is the same style probe on the outlet side of the EGR valve to indicate when EGR flow is present.

It is impossible to open the valve by exhaust pressure alone. However, any time a pressure differential exists between the top and bottom ports of the diaphragm that is strong enough to overcome the spring tension, it can and will open.

Last edited by GrocMax; Jul 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, good data.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the data that GrocMax posts. Most people don't appreciate it, but this forum does for sure.

On that note, how about sending me all of the data you have for the Red compared to the new HTA green, so that I can decide which to upgrade to.

Quick Reply: EGR valve forced open at high boost?