Notices
ECU Flash

Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jp7
Rinoz - are you working on an evo 9? or evo 8?

Your car does NOT have a heated catalyst from the factory. You WILL FAIL if you show this as "ready" when you are tested.
yeah that's what I meant tho lol it says it's enabled on the table in ecu flash, but when I read it with my scanner it seemed all good. I haven't brought it in yet for the smog, apparently smogging rn is a bit like the weather in California, hot 🙃
Old Jun 9, 2019, 04:33 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rinoz
yeah that's what I meant tho lol it says it's enabled on the table in ecu flash, but when I read it with my scanner it seemed all good. I haven't brought it in yet for the smog, apparently smogging rn is a bit like the weather in California, hot 🙃
You still have not answered my question - which car is this, evo 8 or evo 9?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jp7
You still have not answered my question - which car is this, evo 8 or evo 9?
05 Evo 8, on the table on ecu flash it said it was enabled, but I ended up leaving the monitor enabled portion alone, and just changing the pass fails to where the heated cat is NA and the evap is pass

EDIT: just using the edits that the original guy i replied to had, it seems to be clearing all the monitors on my OBD scanner. if you have any other values im still trying to make sure everything is good for the smog check,

Last edited by rinoz; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 03:47 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Will this work for other cars besides evo's like a 3000gt?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by KJS
Will this work for other cars besides evo's like a 3000gt?
Yes but only if you are running an Evo ecu
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rinoz
05 Evo 8, on the table on ecu flash it said it was enabled, but I ended up leaving the monitor enabled portion alone, and just changing the pass fails to where the heated cat is NA and the evap is pass

EDIT: just using the edits that the original guy i replied to had, it seems to be clearing all the monitors on my OBD scanner. if you have any other values im still trying to make sure everything is good for the smog check,
This method no longer works for smog check in CA. They are checking CVNs now and you will fail for OBD Mismatch or get reffed months after via mail like I did. I suppose you can try, but tread carefully, if I had just swapped a cat in rather than trying to patch I wouldn't be facing ref next smog cycle...
Old Oct 27, 2019, 08:04 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
This method no longer works for smog check in CA. They are checking CVNs now and you will fail for OBD Mismatch or get reffed months after via mail like I did. I suppose you can try, but tread carefully, if I had just swapped a cat in rather than trying to patch I wouldn't be facing ref next smog cycle...
Does anyone know if service $09 is supported by J1979.1997? I am wondering if it was introduced in 2002 legislation then maybe this only effects vehicles built after a certain year. I haven't been able to google a copy of the 1997 standard and it sits behind a paywall at SAE's website.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/...j1979.2002.pdf Description starts at page 54.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Are you asking if Mode $09 is on Evo 8/9's? If so, yes.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Are you asking if Mode $09 is on Evo 8/9's? If so, yes.
Thx, wasn't sure what kind of response I would get from my 8. I guess more so what I am after is if all model years of CT9A are required to support Service $09 infotypes $04 / $06. Some people are getting popped for ECU modification and some aren't.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
What method are you referring to when you say "this method"? And why did you need to mess with OBD patches to address swapping in a cat? Can you elaborate on what specific "OBD Mismatch" will result in a fail? I am not even sure that that means. If all monitors are appropriately set to ready or n/a, how are people failing the OBD test?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by aamoedo
What method are you referring to when you say "this method"? And why did you need to mess with OBD patches to address swapping in a cat? Can you elaborate on what specific "OBD Mismatch" will result in a fail? I am not even sure that that means. If all monitors are appropriately set to ready or n/a, how are people failing the OBD test?
Good question, not sure if people are just screwing up and turning **** on the car never had, or if CA is using CVN to validate the rom.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 08:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
my last ref visit, the ref told me the "the numbers didn't match" regarding the ECU programming. He said the program number "ROM ID" was correct but the CVN was incorrect. I believe cali has updated their smog machine programs to detect tamper within the rom's now. My theory which already has some proof is that the people who are "force passing" the emission monitors might pass smog initially on the older smog programs. But on the newer updated smog programs / machines they will be able to detect incorrect CVN numbers because of the changed values in the rom. I believe changing almost any value in your ECU will also change the CVN. I tested changing the Immobilizer code did not effect the CVN number. Changing the rev limit DID effect the CVN number.

I did not have any "forced pass" set, but I did have a newer rev limit other than factory 7606 set. This caused me to have a changed CVN, which didn't match my car.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by EV09AWD
my last ref visit, the ref told me the "the numbers didn't match" regarding the ECU programming. He said the program number "ROM ID" was correct but the CVN was incorrect. I believe cali has updated their smog machine programs to detect tamper within the rom's now. My theory which already has some proof is that the people who are "force passing" the emission monitors might pass smog initially on the older smog programs. But on the newer updated smog programs / machines they will be able to detect incorrect CVN numbers because of the changed values in the rom. I believe changing almost any value in your ECU will also change the CVN. I tested changing the Immobilizer code did not effect the CVN number. Changing the rev limit DID effect the CVN number.

I did not have any "forced pass" set, but I did have a newer rev limit other than factory 7606 set. This caused me to have a changed CVN, which didn't match my car.
Yep I think that is all correct. What I am wondering is if this is something that only starts being a problem in the 9 and up as it has a newer ECU then the 8.

Apparently the forced pass will have to improve to include a forced CVN value to continue to be a viable option for folks.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
when I went to the gas station for inspection I flashed my EVO in the parking lot to make everything ready.
I have no cat!!
i passed with flying colors :-) and new two year inspection sticker FTW!!
then I flashed it back and he hooked up the EVO again to see what happens.
Lol Nothing was ready anymore.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR SUCH GREAT SOFTWARE!!!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 02:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
congrats, are you located in California? Because here you have failed immediately with no CAT!

Quick Reply: Patch: Force OBD Inspection Pass (acamus, mrfred)