Notices
ECU Flash

disabling rear o2 sensor: which method did YOU use.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
disabling rear o2 sensor: which method did YOU use.

so i've been researching the topic...

i've found thread upon thread about how to do this. using periphery. tetramod. adding some coding to the rom to change the hex codes...

which is right??

i have the sensor in the car so the heater check will work. i can leave it, if i have to. i just don't want a CEL (my cat doesn't seem to work well enough to keep the CEL away).

it's my understanding i need to pick a method and stick with it.. but then some won't work when i use a tetramod map (such as 5.1). i used the tetramod and still got a CEL... so i changed the hex code as listed here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...heres-how.html

so far so good. it's so confusing and there is so much info spread over so many different YEARS.. i just dunno which are updated.. outdated.. pertinent.. to be ignored.

i'm running 88590015. stock. no mods other than the changes in hex from the link above.
i prefer to use the tetramod version of my rom... maybe i just had something not set right?

i'm so lost. help? or at least a link to a thread that's typed in "english" and not "engineer language"? LOL

yes, i've searched this site... and still can not figure out which method is best/works/etc.

Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bump for you my friend as i will be doing this to my buddies car soon in hopes of adding the WB in the place of the rear o2. so far i have the tephramod rom downloaded but i want to make sure i have everything needed before doing this lol
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:46 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
bump for you my friend as i will be doing this to my buddies car soon in hopes of adding the WB in the place of the rear o2. so far i have the tephramod rom downloaded but i want to make sure i have everything needed before doing this lol
and i'm confused on that. i had the mod. i checked the "02 simulator" box, but still got a CEL later in the day. so i'm not sure there is something else i need to do...?
and if it did work, we still need to simulate the heater right? otherwise we get a CEL for the heater circuit.
does the tephramod fix both of these?

there are about 100pgs of posts on every one of these threads.. i get confused/lost/headache trying to read it all. LOL

i'm just trying to find one, simplified answer.

tuning hondas was so much easier. people were more forthcoming with their info. LOL
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having no issues with the o2 simulator patch, been running it for 2 years now. The only issue I had was that the original o2 heater mod (1k ohm resistor) popped after about 9 months. I have since soldered in 2 50 ohm resistors in parallel. No issues with that fix to date.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:01 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by StreetEvo
I'm having no issues with the o2 simulator patch, been running it for 2 years now. The only issue I had was that the original o2 heater mod (1k ohm resistor) popped after about 9 months. I have since soldered in 2 50 ohm resistors in parallel. No issues with that fix to date.
ah. that works for me. you using a patch you added or tephrmod? or are they even the same? haha.

anyway.. two 50ohm resistors. THAT i can do. they don't heat up much, i'm guessing? did you use a 10w? 5%?

right now i have the patch listed above and just left the O2 sensor in so the heater circuit is functioning. it seems to be okay at the moment.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm using a combination of mrfred's ECu patch and the 02 simulator patch. No resistor mod.....aside from failing visual (had no clue GA checks for a physical cat now) I passed (ECU did)
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The rear O2 removal seems to confuse a lot of people. There's three distinct things that have to be addressed to make it happen.

First, there's the OBD-II readiness check. Acamus' readiness patch takes care of that. You'll still throw codes, but this takes care of the "not ready" problem. This isn't a problem specific to the rear O2 sensor; you'll need this if you get rid of all of the stuff related to evap and EGR as well.

Second, there's the rear O2 signal itself. mrfred took care of this ages ago, and tephra has incorporated it by default into his patches; basically, if you're running a recent tephra patch, you don't really need to worry about this.

Third, there's the rear O2 heater circuit check. This is the one that seems to trip most people up. Originally, we worked around this by using resistors. mrfred then came up with a patch to eliminate the check that threw the CEL, which is in the rear O2 removal thread. Finally, acamus and I (mostly acamus) came up with a simpler method for getting rid of it (later in that thread) that lets you enable/disable it pretty easily.

Those are the three things you have to take care of to physically remove the rear O2 sensor. I've been running without one for months now, and went through an emissions test with no difficulty at all.

(I think it might be time for a master "so, you're an evil nasty environment hater who wants to remove a bunch of crap from your car" thread. )
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just used tephra 5.10 mod and turned it off via periphery. no check engine light and i used OBD II ready/pass mod to pass emissions yesterday worked like a charm.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:04 PM
kaj

Okay. So I need to search for the threads logic described. Ha. Fianally! Aight. I'm on it.
And yes. We need a final "add to the emissions paranoia" thread!

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:19 PM
kaj

Okay. So I need to search for the threads logic described. Ha. Fianally! Aight. I'm on it.
And yes. We need a final "add to the emissions paranoia" thread!

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:38 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by fknlowpsi
i just used tephra 5.10 mod and turned it off via periphery. no check engine light and i used OBD II ready/pass mod to pass emissions yesterday worked like a charm.
i would do that. but i dunno how.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
periphery bits
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:03 PM
kaj

best info i've found so far:

Originally Posted by krazykorean84 View Post
Just FYI, but there is really no need to do this mod if you have 88590015 or 96940011. Mr. Fred has come up with rear O2 heater sim patch here:
need Evo 9 owner to test rear O2 *heater* sim patch
on post #59 and Acamus has created a mod that disables the Heater CEL located in the same thread on post # 267. I recommend reading the thread to fully educate yourself on these options.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:42 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
The rear O2 removal seems to confuse a lot of people. There's three distinct things that have to be addressed to make it happen.

First, there's the OBD-II readiness check. Acamus' readiness patch takes care of that. You'll still throw codes, but this takes care of the "not ready" problem. This isn't a problem specific to the rear O2 sensor; you'll need this if you get rid of all of the stuff related to evap and EGR as well.

Second, there's the rear O2 signal itself. mrfred took care of this ages ago, and tephra has incorporated it by default into his patches; basically, if you're running a recent tephra patch, you don't really need to worry about this.

Third, there's the rear O2 heater circuit check. This is the one that seems to trip most people up. Originally, we worked around this by using resistors. mrfred then came up with a patch to eliminate the check that threw the CEL, which is in the rear O2 removal thread. Finally, acamus and I (mostly acamus) came up with a simpler method for getting rid of it (later in that thread) that lets you enable/disable it pretty easily.

Those are the three things you have to take care of to physically remove the rear O2 sensor. I've been running without one for months now, and went through an emissions test with no difficulty at all.

(I think it might be time for a master "so, you're an evil nasty environment hater who wants to remove a bunch of crap from your car" thread. )
This is the only response you need.