Notices
ECU Flash

ECU Based Cruise Control...Plausable?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
ECU Based Cruise Control...Plausable?

ALright, before those of you who are bowsers and dream smashers throw up your instant genius of why it won't work, give me a moment...lol

I know this is off the topic of tuning and other stuff, but thought a fun or out of box idea for a mod I would love to have...no, wait, PAY to have.

Is it possible, with the dissasembly we have done, the NTLS patch, and other mods to the ECU that control RPM and can technicaly control the car and keep at a maintained accel, decel, or hover with NTLS, switch or alt between maps, etc. to possible do some sort of basic cruise control?

CLutch switch and brake can utilize normal function of turning cruise off.
Could the Intrercooler switch or other switch be the turn on and set. Basic in you would only have ability to use it in 5th/6th gear, certain minimum speed, etc.

But theoretically we have the ability to control the car in other ways, utilizing all the same trigger events that could do Cruise Control...

Thoughts?

EDIT: What about a similiar setup to the Valet mode? I see a lot of possibilities that could get us there, but yet do not know enough about Tephra's mod section to know if it is plausable as a mod/patch.

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without controlling the throttle? Highly unlikely.

d

EDIT: You _could_ set the rev limiter to whatever your current speed is, but that would be BAD. Not only would you get horrible mileage, you would eventually do damage from living on the limiter for long periods of time.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Without controlling the throttle? Highly unlikely.
I am no rocket scientist, but when we do the NLTS patch, the car drives it self, controls throttle, rpms, and fuel to get it to drop rpms and hold while we do the shifting.

So why would we not be able to get a basic hover point at speed, it is one of the things we can log in evoscan?

EDIT: When I wired cruise controls in cars, it utilizes a tach signal, ground, and then the rest is features of accel, decel, and set...

NLTS is almost cruise already, just with the adjustments for shifting...hmmmmmm.

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 22, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
I am no rocket scientist, but when we do the NLTS patch, the car drives it self, controls throttle
No it doesn't. Throttle on the Evo 8/9 is completely cable controlled. There's no drive-by-wire system. There's a stepper motor for idle air, but I don't think it can let enough by to actually produce power to move the car.

d
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can make the car drive itself... you just have to build a robot to drive it for you
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

No it doesn't. Throttle on the Evo 8/9 is completely cable controlled. There's no drive-by-wire system. There's a stepper motor for idle air, but I don't think it can let enough by to actually produce power to move the car.
Got you. Ok, so what is the NLTS doing when it drops the RPMS and makes the car hover, yes the drive or forward momentum is disengaged with the clutch. Could you not reverse that code in some sense to have the car hover the desired RPMS, it is in essence throttleing itself. Then if the clutch is engaged, and it is holding a specified RPM, it is in essence cruise control... What am I missing?

EDIT: I just figured it out...lol. WHen your doing the NLTS, your throttle is at 100% open, so the butterfly in the TB is full open, thus sustainging the AIR intake.
With out the throttle wide open or even partialy open(hense I forgot what the right foot was doing to help the engine run). Your stating without a wire to control the throttle to keep the butterfly open in the TB, we are dead in the water...lol. Doh!

Ok, hurdles, how to...?

You can make the car drive itself... you just have to build a robot to drive it for you
Bad word choice on driving it self, I think all joking aside you understand what I meant. ...I got to admit though, I like your thinking on that, lol.

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 22, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Got you. Ok, so what is the NLTS doing when it drops the RPMS and makes the car hover, yes the drive or forward momentum is disengaged with the clutch. Could you not reverse that code in some sense to have the car hover the desired RPMS, it is in essence throttleing itself. Then if the clutch is engaged, and it is holding a specified RPM, it is in essence cruise control... What am I missing?
This doesn't make any sense. With NTLS, you hold the throttle pedal to the floor and ECU lowers the rev limiter to whatever and cuts fuel above that. Are you suggesting that you want to drive around with the pedal down and have the car not accelerate? It would suck. The throttle plate will be all the way open and you'd have to do something awful with fuel and timing to keep from making power.

What you really want is to take your foot OFF the pedal and keep going. Unfortunately, the only thing that opens the throttle plate is the cable attached to that pedal. It won't make any power with the throttle closed. The car will stop, no matter what the ECU does.

d
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

...ooh. could we not get something from the TPS signal, to tell the throttle to open, software based? Again this could be the drive by wire, but is there any way to tell the TB to open?

What you really want is to take your foot OFF the pedal and keep going. Unfortunately, the only thing that opens the throttle plate is the cable attached to that pedal. It won't make any power with the throttle closed. The car will stop, no matter what the ECU does.
I realized thet and edited my previous post. ...brain working alittle slow today...lol.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
...ooh. could we not get something from the TPS signal, to tell the throttle to open, software based? Again this could be the drive by wire, but is there any way to tell the TB to open?

I realized thet and edited my previous post. ...brain working alittle slow today...lol.
Way more work than its worth. The Evo X has cruise control though if you really desire this feature
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Way more work than its worth. The Evo X has cruise control though if you really desire this feature
Jack thanks for the kick in from a software engineer point of view.
What would the X cruise get me though for my VIII?

...And please, humour me, is it doable? THe cruise control, even if it would be more work that any one wants to do, is it achievable with what you or the other greats know about the ECU?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jack thanks for the kick in from a software engineer point of view.
What would the X cruise get me though for my VIII?

...And please, humour me, is it doable? The cruise control, even if it would be more work that any one wants to do, is it achievable with what you or the other greats know about the ECU?
I wasn't saying to get the cruise control parts from an X...I was saying to trade-in your evo and BUY an X if you wanted CC that bad

You'd need someway to control a motor to operate the throttle plate or have a larger air bypass past the throttle plate. There were kits back in the day that were supposed to be 'universal' cruise control kits. Maybe do some googling.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

.Again this could be the drive by wire,

There is no drive-by-wire system.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 13 year old dsm with an evo ecu has cruise control
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
you can retrofit a mechanical cruise control system. - like how it worked in the old days

but yeah apart from that not really plausible
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you guys.

Donour, I realize there isn't one currently, was wondering if there was an alternative that was already in place. Thanks for the conversation none the less.

Quick Reply: ECU Based Cruise Control...Plausable?