Notices
ECU Flash

ECU Based Cruise Control...Plausable?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Alternative idea

Doesnt the Lancer OZ or regular Lancer have an option for cruise in 2003 -2005 ?

So if that is correct then the next question is if the ECU is similar enough. The parts should be available for the cc actuator, and a modified throttle body cable attachment bracket as well as the dual cable throttle lever.

A DIY unit would require an actuator, progamming unit, and wiring harnesses

For programming purposes you'd need to read speed and rpm. Inputs would need to be from the clutch and brake pedal switched to cutoff. A small LCD display keyed to a membrane switch unit. Membrane switches would scroll a speed number to the desired speed. Engaing the unit would have the chip compare actual to desired speed, then add or subtract actuator to match the speed. Increment in 10% throttle units held for 5 secs unitl speed matches.

A rpm/speed comparator like the cutoff points for the Gear dependent boost control system already in our cars can prevent operation unless in 4th or above

Having built boards and hand assembled chips for OBD readers for ODB1 and OBD2 Nissans, I would say the cost for the boards , cases and chips etc would not be more than $75. Wiring harnesses and adaptors should run out to about $75.
Add about $100 for having someone put the thing together and flash the EEPROM.

Doable for about $250-$300 by a vendor

How many people would actually shell out for a plug and play CC for the EVO 7-8-9 ?

I know I would. Its the only thing I really want on the car, esp on long drives

Milburn
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Doesnt the Lancer OZ or regular Lancer have an option for cruise in 2003 -2005 ?

So if that is correct then the next question is if the ECU is similar enough. The parts should be available for the cc actuator, and a modified throttle body cable attachment bracket as well as the dual cable throttle lever.

A DIY unit would require an actuator, progamming unit, and wiring harnesses

For programming purposes you'd need to read speed and rpm. Inputs would need to be from the clutch and brake pedal switched to cutoff. A small LCD display keyed to a membrane switch unit. Membrane switches would scroll a speed number to the desired speed. Engaing the unit would have the chip compare actual to desired speed, then add or subtract actuator to match the speed. Increment in 10% throttle units held for 5 secs unitl speed matches.

A rpm/speed comparator like the cutoff points for the Gear dependent boost control system already in our cars can prevent operation unless in 4th or above

Having built boards and hand assembled chips for OBD readers for ODB1 and OBD2 Nissans, I would say the cost for the boards , cases and chips etc would not be more than $75. Wiring harnesses and adaptors should run out to about $75.
Add about $100 for having someone put the thing together and flash the EEPROM.

Doable for about $250-$300 by a vendor

How many people would actually shell out for a plug and play CC for the EVO 7-8-9 ?

I know I would. Its the only thing I really want on the car, esp on long drives

Milburn
I didn't think the 02-06 lancer cruise control used the ecu. I thought it was a vacuum system with a couple of switches and relays.

d
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
O goodie, where there is a will there is a way....w00t. Looks like we might have a way...
And I would deffinitly love to have a plug and play to our stock ecu like you suggest.

I am installing a full micro form factor ecu into my car, that will be integrated in.
Curiosity asks if I could do the software compare and control off of that and the touch screen in dash?
Sounds starwar techie, but I am thinking Voice activated cruise through a windows or mac platform...in the future.

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 22, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are 3rd party units that can do it if you really want it. There are a few threads in the forum. Probably the better way rather than trying to retrofit, but spin away if you please
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The simple answer to this is: no, can't be done without adding some sort of fly-by-wire throttle control hardware. It cannot work with the throttle fully open and the 8 and 9 have no way of articulating the throttle plate by themselves.... it's just a cable that goes from the TB to your pedal. The ECU has no control over that. Cars with throttle bodies that are cable driven always have a secondary cable that's run by an actuator which controls cruise control.

Cruise control is an automatic manipulation of the trottle body. If you don't have an automatic mechanism under the hood to manipulate the throttle body... you can't have cruise control.

On the X you can have it b/c the TB is always driven by the ECU because it has an electric solenoid on the side rather than a cable that controls the valve.