Notices
ECU Flash

fully defined 94170015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
Be hapopy to work with you. Open to all.

It does, and I agree with you, however, becasue of how the ECUFLASH writes the rom, you get confusion in the actuall processing of your cars ECU, this is what I was going to put in the thread I am going to write. Not tooting my horn or Software language/enginneering here. Just want to contribute.

ECUFLASH compares the maps prior to writing them to the ECU. When it does this, any changed variables are written in new xpace of memory everytime. I found when I lost my ROMS and had to start over, my entire map memory and some of the tables changed.

All the tables that were working are working again, and I don't have all the tables that were not working due to multiple deffinitons from multiple roms.

My point is, I was getting mixed code in the actual ECU of the car, due to how the software and hardware are utilized inthe program. Again, not bi))))ing or gloating, just utilizing what I learned in logic programming for writing software.

Either way, my car runs smooth now, and the map has been restored to previous state prior to losing the roms, and guess what, my midrange knock at 2500 RPMS to 3500 RPMS that everyon has been talking about lately.... GONE!

Flawless. 2 counts of knock for 45 miles. 1 here, 1 there. I am just talking about the structure of the xmls here, and the logic at which the flash program reads/writes to the ECU.

If the rom addresses are moved each time you flash, you change the seek/read rate of the ecu in the car. This can be to your advantage, or disadvantage.

Cleaning up the code and structuring it inside the ECU, and utlizing this practice when you find new tables, and write/add to the xml's, it will streamline your flashing and your ecu to run smooth all the time.

thanks for listening, any thoughts?
So by you losing your files and starting fresh you were able to eliminate 2500-3500rpm phantom knock?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
I WILL NOT SEND MY STUFF TO ANYONE ELSE ! !

It irritates the hell out of me that several of us on here work very hard to build up these xml and ROM files so that "tuners" can use us to make themselves a buck. What nerve people have. Where is the dignity, integrity, and honor in stealing someone elses work to make a profit for yourself?
What happened?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
PM'd by "tuners" to have me send them my ROM info. I don't mind helping out the community for the sake of our love for the EVO, but when people are going to use all of my hard work to make a buck for themselves.....that is just wrong.

Anyway....back on topic.

The fresh flash may contribute to the reduction in knock.....or the cooler weather could be helping too.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok, apologize for holding everyone up. Here we go...

This is a snap shot representing the rommetadata location in your pc, where the program finds it's info.

As you can see, i have a spare folder (only folder in this area) that has all my spare, and retired versions of the ROMID.xml and evo7base.xml. I have since moved it to another location, but putting it back for example.

What was very interesting is that even with these files seperated, but still in the home directory for the program, the ecuflash still will seek and interpolate the xmls into the ones that show in the normal metadata location, when in the ECUFlash program. So in essence, it is pulling info from 8~10 roms. I know it sounds crazy, and it could be a VISTA thing too. I am running windows vista 32 bit and 64 bit and have noticed the respective difference(another thread, nother time).

So, the only thing I can explain about the phantom 2500 to 3500 knock is this,

What ever old evo7base and other romid.xmls that are in my spare folder, had bad addresses. So becasue ECU flash was seeing all the deff's for tables, and seeing multiple addresses for those tables, i was getting inconsitant flashes. (EDIT: I also had some tables in the evo7base that were defined in my orginal attempt at tunig on the stock 96420011 rom. for some of the MFRED code or older code from like 2-3 years ago shows up as locating things in the evo7base.xml, could been part of the problem as well)

One of my threads about the p0300 code, and the knock in that range, show, that I removed 1* of timing, throughout the area/load of knock, and reflashed, retested, for weeks, something like 30 different maps and testing multiple times. Same knock showed. I have spent two months tuning for knock...lol

After losing all my files, and removing all other extra stuff out of the rommetadata folder, and only having the (2) I needed relevent to my ROMID, I reflashed, copied all my tables over that had me close, and sure nough, 2 counts of knock after reflashing the rom.

The other thing, I moved to OPENECU after having the COBB flasher or handheld. It had the ability to load a secondary complete rom into memory or until the battery was unplugged. So in theory, you had two completly full images stored on the car's ECU. When flashing updates over the last two months, I noticed this is where the program compares before it writes the info. At this point, just like in a pc, when you delete and add programs. Data is written sequentially to a hard disk. Like water, new info fills in cracks. If the info is bigger then the crack, the pc breaks it up, and then writes the rest in the other crack. Do this easly 100 times, and its like having a desktop pc that is fragmented to hell and back...win98 days...lol. Same thing happens to your car ecu. So i started flashing back to stock, starting, flashing to upgraded map, and testing. Could just be my ECU, could be i'm a rookie. (more to come in flashing practices, or thread yet to be titled).

This lead to my hypothesis of the moving and multiple locations for certain memory addressing errors when flashing code that is not streamlined. I was shocked myself, 45 miles north, 45 miles south. 3 counts of knock on the journey home, due to colder weather and wind, after 8;00 P.M. in SLC. There is a hug storm rollin in. Again, Timing map from old.hex recoverd from the car in read state, and one saved in email sent to my PRO Tuner, I was able to get all the deffinitons verified in this new xml, and all the tables loaded with mostly no change. The only things that went back to stock were my maf scaling, a little for the bigger cams at idle, and my maf smoothing.

Other than that, the only things I had gotten done with my tuning were the timing, boost, and a little on the AFR. Again unchanged, and 3-10 counts of knock less than friday.

Again, I just barely in the last 4 months started taking on tuning myself, I have had help from all the people listed, and even those not listed in my sig. I appreciate all of your contributions, purchased by me(Clarification EDIT: I Did purchase a base map from a tuner, but lets not go into that, I wanted him to teach me, so that I was getting it right, i just want to have an efficiant, DD 400HP Group-N wanna bee, this car is like the ferrari of Japan, BUT EVEN HE won't share his xml's...lol END EDIT), donated to me, or other wise posted into the forum on various threads.

Hope that helps on the question about knock.
Attached Thumbnails fully defined 94170015-ecuflash.metadata.jpg  

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 29, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Appauldd...Paul, not sure wich you prefer online,

I was going to post the xmls here for people to see, I understand that most of this code did come from you, there is a lot that did come from the board, but I respect your efforts, and again do not want to trounce on them, or anyones for that matter.

Maybe I will grab some tidbits and use them as pictures. Check your email, and then let me know if its worth it, or just keep to an Email request. Apologize for the sudden popularity you are recieving. I know this is a hot topic, and a bombshell of one at that. Apologize again.
I thought it was a roving list people were adding too...

Ok, so at that, I will post up the code that doesn't work, since it don't work for me, the addresses might be wrong, don't see harm in that. Be right back...

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

I cannot take credit for all of the code.....I simply put in the time to find it all on multiple messege boards.

I appreciate everything you are working on. Something we need to realize that the 94170015 is not fully defined. There is still a lot we do not have as the discoveries have not been made. Thus, we find issues here and there where tuing one table will affect another.

I agree with you about the multiple xml folders that we create. Each time a new version of EcuFlash comes out there is a new release of all of the rom xml files.

What I did was create my own XML folder and with each upgrade I re-input my xml folder into the new version of EcuFlash. I suppose this is simular to your findings.

Paul
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Whats crazy to me, is that see those "orig.964200xx.xml's"? Standard practice in coding, shows that the parent program should not look at that file when it searches it's parent directory for 964200xx.xml. Agian this could be a compatiablity issue Colby has not figured out yet with Vista...?(shrugs). But, whats even more interesting, is when we move those files to its own directory out of site if you will for the parent directoy, it still try's to utilize them...(shrugs again, cuz I'm clueless why it would do that).

I couldn't believe it either, so I did a test, and yes, the ECUFlash proram is looking at something in the title outside what I thought would be normal searcing peramters or bits prior to the .xml, cus it's seeing double the scalings too. meening all the scalings in your 7base, show up twice, fully aphelbetized once, and then a-z again....????

EDIT: I have right clicked to change a file name and had two files selected, causing stealth files with the same name, but usually they are represented as a copy of itself... But, I have seen where the old files keeps it's name, but changes internal data... rare, but has happened on small laptop keyboards...fatfingered...lol.

Ok, posting the files for code that doesnt work next.

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Here are the ROMID.xml defs that do not work, this is a teaser of the structure and titling...

-- *** Incomplete Pro Tune Tables *** -->

<table name="Air Temp Trim" address="41b2"/>

<table name="Base Low Engine Temp Trim" address="3ff5"/>

<table name="Engine Temp Trim" address="41a4"/>

<table name="Wastegate Compensation" address="4478"/>
Here are the evo7base.tables that don't work.

<!-- *** Incomplete Pro Tune Tables *** -->

<table name="Base EGR Duty vs Load and RPM" category="Emissions EGR" type="3D" level="2" swapxy="true" scaling="EGRDuty">
<table name="Load Fuel/Timing" type="X Axis" elements="11" scaling="Load"/>
<table name="RPM" type="Y Axis" elements="10" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Base Timing Trim vs Load and RPM" category="Timing" type="3D" swapxy="true" scaling="Timing">
<table name="Engine Load" type="X Axis" elements="14" scaling="Load"/>
<table name="RPM" type="Y Axis" elements="11" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Base Timing Trim vs Load and RPM Multiplier vs CTS" category="Timing" type="2D" level="1" scaling="Scale128">
<table name="Coolant Temp" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp"/>
</table>

<table name="BCS Re/De-Activation RPM" category="Turbo Boost Single Solenoid" type="2D" scaling="RPMStatLimit">
<table name="Condition" type="Static Y Axis" elements="4">
<data>Reactivate On</data>
<data>Reactivate Off</data>
<data>Deactivate On</data>
<data>Deactivate Off</data>
</table>
</table>

<table name="Boost Control High/Low Gear Range RPM/MPH Crossover" category="Turbo Boost Single Solenoid" type="1D" level="3" scaling="RPMPerMPH"/>

<table name="Boost Cut Load" category="Turbo Boost Single Solenoid" type="2D" scaling="LoadBoost">
<table name="RPM" type="Y Axis" elements="9" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Cold Start Ignition map" category="Timing" type="3D" swapxy="true" scaling="Timing">
<table name="Load" type="X Axis" elements="19" scaling="Load"/>
<table name="RPM" type="Y Axis" elements="20" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="EGR Duty Normalization Factor vs Coolant Temp" category="Emissions EGR" type="2D" level="2" scaling="EGRDutyCTFactor">
</table>

<table name="EGR Duty vs RPM (Fault Condition?)" category="Emissions EGR" type="2D" level="2" scaling="EGRDuty">
<table name="RPM" type="Y Axis" elements="10" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Injector latency base" category="Fuel" type="1D" level="2" scaling="Hex16"/>

<table name="High Oct EGR-Enabled Advance" category="Timing" type="3D" level="2" swapxy="true" scaling="Timing">
<table name="Engine Load" type="X Axis" elements="19" scaling="Load"/>
</table>

<table name="Low Oct EGR-Enabled Advance" category="Timing" type="3D" level="2" swapxy="true" scaling="Timing">
</table>

<table name="Ignition Trim vs Engine Temp" category="Timing" type="2D" level="2" scaling="uint8">
<table name="Engine Temp" type="X Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp"/>
</table>

<table name="IAT-Compensated Ignition Trim" category="Timing" type="2D" level="2" scaling="TimingTrim8">
<table name="MAF Air Temp" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp" />
</table>

<table name="Ignition Trim vs Baro (Unused)" category="Timing" type="2D" level="2" scaling="TimingTrim8">
<table name="Baro" type="Y Axis" elements="5" scaling="Baro16"/>
</table>

<table name="Low Coolant Temp Timing Trim Map" category="Timing" type="3D" level="2" swapxy="true" scaling="TimingTrim8">
</table>

<table name="Max WGDC vs Coolant Temp" category="Turbo Boost Single Solenoid" type="2D" level="3" scaling="WGDuty">
</table>

<table name="Min Load for Boost Control" category="Turbo Boost Single Solenoid" type="2D" level="3" scaling="Load8">
<table name="RPM" type="Y Axis" elements="16" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="Min Load for IAT-Compensated Ignition Trim" category="Timing" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Load8">
<table name="Engine Speed" type="Y Axis" elements="10" scaling="RPM" />
</table>

<table name="Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp" category="Timing" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Percent255">
<table name="Engine Temp" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp"/>
</table>

<table name="Timing Retard Limit" category="Timing" type="1D" level="2" scaling="uint8"/>

<table name="Warmup Retard Control" category="Timing" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Timing">
<table name="Engine Temp" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp"/>
</table>

<table name="WGDC Limit During Fault" category="Turbo Boost Single Solenoid" type="1D" level="3" scaling="WGDuty"/>
Here is a snapshot of the ISCV tables. Some are stock, and some are not.
So some work, but most don't. The ones that do work, are still located in there normal location the rom. This super merged rom that you are looking at has location for ISCV control or something like that... Either way, I couldn't get them to work, and could not find the associate table in the ROMID.xml... so naturally I thought they were evo7.base for all roms, and would be defined right...?

This is why I removed them and listed them in the "Incomplete Pro Tune Tables"...catchy title huh.

EDIT: I did compare these two xmls with another puter runing ecuflash, same setup, and verified through live visual ecuflash comparison that the tables here don't work for me, again...to many unkowns, like Vista compatibility, but I don't think the tables being defined right would have anything to do with the OS. If some of these are stock tables originally, then when I was reading the printed hard copy of the coding, and comparing it with what i was coping and pasting, could have mis placed a table or two.
Attached Thumbnails fully defined 94170015-iscv.nowork.tables.evo7base.jpg  

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Appauldd,

I did try the cleaned method, rmeoving all my tables except yours and starting ECUFlash, and some of the tables don't even show up that are defined in this code... Not sure if it's my flash, but did reload as well, same results.

So, the two new xml's are listed in this format:

Stock code at beginning of rom is stock no changes, took two compltely stock xml's, I beleive.
At the end, I added sections for "Pro Tune Tables" with sub catagorys for there respectrive location in the stock defined tables. If they are a new table or mod, I listed it alphebetical my catagory. All Scalings are in the evo7base.xml, for I was following the logic of mitsubishi's original location and order of things, looked at how the program loads it when flashing the car, and this is the best way to lay out the xml.s

I beleive, again not a pro, and haven't coded in 2 years. But, I can't beleive that 2 days of restoring roms and cleaning code didn't have something to do with my car's efficiancy and smoothness to how the car felt in transition from throttle response and other sensor related things, call me crazy, everyone likes to say they know there car and how it feels on the Astroflex dyno. Not saying that I gained HP or anything like that, no gains to be had, execpt smoothness for the areas of the maps that gave me issues in previous testing, with no real changes other than code cleaning... but I could have over looked something.

Jack, can I get your email address? Appauldd, I need yours again, unless I missed it, Irealized this hole thread I mispelled your Handle buddy, i tried to correct it)?
And evovette, its on it's way.

EDIT: I do spell check my code, amazing how many simple troubleshooting errors can be solved this way... but only in object oriented coding I think, for you define your own intigers and such...lol. This internet spell check doesnt catch much...

Last edited by Raceghost; Sep 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Guys, I just realized I forgot that you gurus are writing the xml's as you reverse engineer the technology and tables. So my most humble apologies in my idiotic attempt to streamline the code. I sound like a total **** in my approach. It makes sense to stream it to me, and theoretically we could alphabetize and arrange all the tables in specific areas, but then again, you guys are the ones who arranged them for your reasons. ...(shakes head mumbling to self)stupid chimp.

EDIT: New issue, So I was checking my .xmls tonight... The orginization I put into the tables is gone. ECUFLASH rearranged the entire xml...
I sound crazy, I could show you if I could post the code. So wow, I really did over analyze the whole xml issue...

Last edited by Raceghost; Oct 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

I noticed that too. I organized my xml code before and after oepning EcuFlash, the code has arranges itself.

You are on the right track though. Remove the duplicates and anything that does not work. Then group the areas together as best as you can.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Not to reserect, but been out for a while. Thanks appauldd, I guess I need to listen to your good advice, will glady listen to any more that you have. Going to probably do the switch to the new V7 here shortly.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

V7 looks very promising. I found a couple tables that are not in it yet. I will get with the gurus and have them find addresses for these "extra" tables.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Raceghost is crazy lol ....love the passion.

What's the updates thus far?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Only updates are the list I gave is about as complete as 94170015 will ever get. Since v7 is out for 96530006 our beloved 0015 will no longer be supported.

There are still a few tables in the 0015 that are not in v7 yet. I need to get these tables into the guru's hands so they can get the addresses.

Trust me guys, if I knew code dissasembly, I would keep 0015 alive. Sorry, but I don't know how. : (

On the plus side is the "big map" in v7 that will allow more precise tuning without the need to remove drivability load cells. I guess some times change is good.

Now to load v7 and start my tune from scratch....UGH ! !

Quick Reply: fully defined 94170015