Notices
ECU Flash

new live map app

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys, after I finish cleaning my garage I will give it another go. Once this setup is programmed for more of a 'point and click' process I think it will take off rather quickly.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Thanks guys, after I finish cleaning my garage I will give it another go. Once this setup is programmed for more of a 'point and click' process I think it will take off rather quickly.
There is less setup required than most people would think. I thought I had it taken care of, but the logging directory baffled me for an hour or so. Changed it, and boom. Good to go.

Ziad, you might want to update that in your instructions. Let people know that they have to change the logging directory to a valid folder to store their logs to.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

thanks mate... i will update the instructions... actually better i might also change the code behind to give a better (user understandable) error message for this case
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

So I got it to connect finally. I was able to read the IGN table from the ram and then I changed the values to try it out and then wrote the new settings to the RAM. I assumed I would immediately see a difference in the logging but....nothing. Am I being a noob? Also, is the graph supposed to show stuff in realtime? Mine is always blank, though it's definitely reading the request items on the right column.

EDIT: testing it with the 96532706 rom.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Mar 15, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got it to connect finally. I was able to read the IGN table from the ram and then I changed the values to try it out and then wrote the new settings to the RAM. I assumed I would immediately see a difference in the logging but....nothing. Am I being a noob? Also, is the graph supposed to show stuff in realtime? Mine is always blank, though it's definitely reading the request items on the right column.
When idling, I didn't notice any difference, but I think that's because the computer is adjusting timing to smooth out the idle. I'd imagine if that function was disabled you'd see it.

What I can say, is that today I was driving around town and cells were going red with knock. I turned the timing down in those cells, wrote to ram, cleared the color, and the knock value was reduced in those cells the next time around. I'm assuming therefore the timing changes were effective but I don't actually have a log of what the timing was before and after. I think this program outputs a .csv logging file though, I just haven't poked at it yet.

Regarding the graph, mine is also always blank, but like you I see the values on the right changing. The graphing feature in the "big maps" live map application that comes packaged with l2r99gst's 96532706 ROM is working for me though.

On a tangent, I can't figure out how to get the wideband to read in the live maps.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

If I enter 20 degrees in the idle IGN cells, it should target 20 degrees. The ECU will try to hit the target value unless it starts interpolating to the low octane maps,which it shouldn't really.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

If I enter 20 degrees in the idle IGN cells, it should target 20 degrees. The ECU will try to hit the target value unless it starts interpolating to the low octane maps,which it shouldn't really.
I hear ya, it doesn't seem to work that way though.

I actually planned on setting timing to 5 across the board tomorrow, just as a test that the changes are effective.

Something I'm not 100% clear on yet is if I need to enable alt maps or not. I noticed that I can read the tables from RAM with or without enabling alt maps before starting the car. I think the idea is that you're changing the value of the alt maps, and the car is only going to reference them if you enable them. I'm pretty sure I enabled mine, but not 100% sure. I just need to play with it some more so it's all clear.

Do you know if you had alt maps enabled?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

the alt maps are the maps that live in the ram... and hence the maps that get changed are the alt maps.

if u are not in alt maps then it will read the rom based maps. the graphing will work u need to select the proper items u want graphed and the scaling.

if ur wideband is hooked via a serial/usb cable... sorry wont work. i would recomend connecting its analogue output to an ECU pin.

sorry i dont do this for a profit or charge for it... so the money u save in not paying u gota spend working out things yes one day i will have a reasonable instructional manual. but my life has been hecktik lately and i dont have much time to do much more development, until things ease off

actually this thread is good. as it gives me ideas on what issues people experience and will help me with my documentation.

Last edited by ziad; Mar 16, 2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ziad
the alt maps are the maps that live in the ram... and hence the maps that get changed are the alt maps.

if u are not in alt maps then it will read the rom based maps. the graphing will work u need to select the proper items u want graphed and the scaling.

if ur wideband is hooked via a serial/usb cable... sorry wont work. i would recomend connecting its analogue output to an ECU pin.

sorry i dont do this for a profit or charge for it... so the money u save in not paying u gota spend working out things yes one day i will have a reasonable instructional manual. but my life has been hecktik lately and i dont have much time to do much more development, until things ease off

actually this thread is good. as it gives me ideas on what issues people experience and will help me with my documentation.
Yeah Ziad no worries, nobody is griefing you

I wasn't sure about the necessity of putting the analog output of the wideband to the ECU so that it can be logged, but I suspected. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll have to play some more with the graphing. I just haven't had much opportunity yet to really dive in and learn how to work with the app.

Thanks for clarifying about the alt maps too, that's pretty much what I figured, but it's always nice to know for sure. Now I gotta to some tests and actually make sure that my alt map switching is working.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Weird.....I bumped my idle cells to 12* with LiveMap, and wrote to RAM.....and i have 12* of timing at idle.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JOT, make sure that you are in altmaps and that your RAM writes are taking effect by reading again after the write. If the new values are there that you just changed to, then the RAM write took.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

lol, sorry if i sounded miffed... wasnt just telling that i havent had much time to do more with the program. btw the version i have complains if the save directory does not exist. not sure if i changed the code or not

obviously u guys have a program that is a slightly older version than mine... but it works almost all the time.

hopefully once i finish my move and depending on how much time this job takes, i will be able to get back into this program to give u guys something even better
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't realize it used the Alt-Maps but it makes sense now since they were already in the RAM section (as far as iIrecall). Now I just need to find the address' for the ISC step tables and idle RPM tables so I can try and port them into an unused RAM section. It doesn't seem too hard to make a very simple set of step-by-step directions to get someone going with one of the DMA modded patches.

So, the "Saved Logs Location:" is one of the the problem areas? I'm sure once he creates an installer and has it dump everything in the 'Program Files' folder you can have a datalog folder setup like other programs generally do.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

With as much xml modification as we all do or have done, the small things to get your program running are just minor gripes Ziad. I am sure everyone who has tried this out appreciates the work you put into it, especially Jack_of_Trades, as he had to build his VDR sim from scratch.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Noob ?

Noob ?:

I have my alt maps set up for e85 and my main maps set up for 93.

Do l have to stay with one fuel/tune if I want to use live mapping?

Quick Reply: new live map app