Notices
ECU Flash

Figured it out: Low boost false knock (aka low boost flutter)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Ev0luti0n
How does this solve the pulsating issue you hear under boost? i understand the purge is what is creating the pulsating sound by bleeding air.. but by raising the minimum required for boost control wouldn't you just hear it at another RPM range?
Dynotech was only refering to solenoid click when cruising.
WOT try putting foam between solenoid and body, it should help.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
How does this solve the pulsating issue you hear under boost? i understand the purge is what is creating the pulsating sound by bleeding air.. but by raising the minimum required for boost control wouldn't you just hear it at another RPM range?
WGDC will stay at 0 until boost control activates. The clicking sound only manifests itself when WGDC is > 0 and < 100.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
WGDC will stay at 0 until boost control activates. The clicking sound only manifests itself when WGDC is > 0 and < 100.
IIRC I log 100%WGDC until boost control starts. Either way this is okay. Maybe 05 is different.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Raptord;10469363]WGDC will stay at 0 until boost control activates. The clicking sound only manifests itself when WGDC is > 0 and < 100.[/QUOT

ok let me back up for a second.. i have the "under this load" WGDC stays 100% - set to 200. i have attached a screen shot of my WGDC table and my min load for boost control. if the WGDC is staying at 100% until i reach a load of 200 which is around 3300 RPM...

so essentially it's never at "0"... and then according to my WGDC map it stays 100% until about 3K rpm.

at 3K my logs are way above "86 load" so BC is already engaged.. how am i still hearing the pulsating?
Attached Thumbnails Figured it out: Low boost false knock (aka low boost flutter)-ecuflash.jpg  

Last edited by 03Ev0luti0n; Oct 23, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
ok let me back up for a second.. i have the "under this load" WGDC stays 100% - set to 110. i have attached a screen shot of my WGDC table and my min load for boost control. if the WGDC is staying at 100% until i reach a load of 110

so essentially it's never at "0"... and then according to my WGDC map it stays 100% until about 3K rpm.

at 3K my logs are way above "86 load" so BC is already engaged.. how am i still hearing the pulsating?
It's 0 until boost control activates. When it does, it stays 100% until 110 load. After 100 load is follows your WGDC map. So as soon as you pass 2750rpm over 110 load, you aren't at 100% anymore.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:06 PM

It's 0 until boost control activates. When it does, it stays 100% until 110 load. After 100 load is follows your WGDC map. So as soon as you pass 2750rpm over 110 load, you aren't at 100% anymore.
so wouldnt lowering the min load values for boost control to say 0 for all.. always engage boost control and eliminate the pulsating?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

so wouldnt lowering the min load values for boost control to say 0 for all.. always engage boost control and eliminate the pulsating?
Maybe I'm misreading you but I just want to clarify that the pulsating is the WGDC clicking on and off. At 0 it's always OFF and at 100 always ON this is no sound. This has nothing to do with boost control being on or off. It has to do with WGDC duty cycle between 0 and 100 which make it pulse on/off about 20 times per seconds, at different on/off times depending on duty. That's what you are hearing.

If you hear pulsing at WOT solving the issue isn't by tuning, it's about sound deadening the solenoid.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by domyz
Maybe I'm misreading you but I just want to clarify that the pulsating is the WGDC clicking on and off. At 0 it's always OFF and at 100 always ON this is no sound. This has nothing to do with boost control being on or off. It has to do with WGDC duty cycle between 0 and 100 which make it pulse on/off about 20 times per seconds, at different on/off times depending on duty. That's what you are hearing.

If you hear pulsing at WOT solving the issue isn't by tuning, it's about sound deadening the solenoid.

i dont hear the pulsating throughout the whole WOT pull... i hear between 3K- and 5K RPM when the BC is adjusting WGDC. once it obtains a fixed value and im at peak boost.. it stops.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

i dont hear the pulsating throughout the whole WOT pull... i hear between 3K- and 5K RPM when the BC is adjusting WGDC. once it obtains a fixed value and im at peak boost.. it stops.
Same thing here. This is where the wastegate need to drop the most exhaust (wgdc is lower).
I will update when I'll replace my crappy rubber with foam

Last edited by domyz; Oct 24, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:16 AM

Same thing here. This is where the wastegate need to drop the most exhaust (wgdc is lower).
I will update when I'll replace my crappy rubber with foam

oh ok. let me know if it works.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
IIRC I log 100%WGDC until boost control starts. Either way this is okay. Maybe 05 is different.
On EVO 9s WGDC stays at 0 until boost control starts.

On EVO 8s WGDC stays at 100 until boost control starts.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What did u replace to get rid of the knocks? I didnt understand what u have replace
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same problems with my evo. I just recently install grimmspeed boost controller and i bolt it directly onto the frame. I get alot of knock at low rpm( up to 34 knocks begin at 2500 or 3000rpm). It will stay knocking until i let off the gas. But even sometime i let off the gas and then i push on the gas lightly, the knocks engine light come back on with fast flash. But sometime i let off the gas and press on the gas, the knocks go away and i can boost again. Often it will knocks at any gears at low rpm with lightly pressing on the gas. But if sometime it doesnt knocks then i wot it and it runs fine with maybe 1 or 2 knocks.
The following is what i have done to my car: stock evo9 ported exhaust manifold, bolt on GT3076r turbo with internal wastegate (25lbs spring),muse dump tube,wisco 8.3:1 piston,manley rods, bc 276 cam, fadanza cam gear, bc valve spring retainer, cop ignition kit,880cc precision injector, fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator, walbro 400 pump, grimmspeed boost control,3" thick intercooler,bigger oil cooler, speed density, egr delete with block off plate, omni map4, 6 pucks act clutch, prosport boost n fuel pressure n oil pressure gauge, aem afr gauge,injen full intercool piping, tail bov,Oil catch tank. street tune 430hp @ 29psi.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Howulikemyevo
I have the same problems with my evo. I just recently install grimmspeed boost controller and i bolt it directly onto the frame. I get alot of knock at low rpm( up to 34 knocks begin at 2500 or 3000rpm). It will stay knocking until i let off the gas. But even sometime i let off the gas and then i push on the gas lightly, the knocks engine light come back on with fast flash. But sometime i let off the gas and press on the gas, the knocks go away and i can boost again. Often it will knocks at any gears at low rpm with lightly pressing on the gas. But if sometime it doesnt knocks then i wot it and it runs fine with maybe 1 or 2 knocks.
The following is what i have done to my car: stock evo9 ported exhaust manifold, bolt on GT3076r turbo with internal wastegate (25lbs spring),muse dump tube,wisco 8.3:1 piston,manley rods, bc 276 cam, fadanza cam gear, bc valve spring retainer, cop ignition kit,880cc precision injector, fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator, walbro 400 pump, grimmspeed boost control,3" thick intercooler,bigger oil cooler, speed density, egr delete with block off plate, omni map4, 6 pucks act clutch, prosport boost n fuel pressure n oil pressure gauge, aem afr gauge,injen full intercool piping, tail bov,Oil catch tank. street tune 430hp @ 29psi.

This must be an annoying problem if "drop boost on high knock" is activated in tephra v7. Knock doesn't have the time to decay from cruise situation and spool is retarded.

Start by mounting it on something thick and soft.
This has been discussed here and will help with your problem:

(left is minimum load for boost control, right is knock load(knock ignored under these load values)

Last edited by domyz; Nov 6, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem on cruising knocks and i did everything but its still knocks like crazy. can someone help me????? i did put the grimmspeed boost controller on a foam sheet so the knock sensor cant feel it when it clicking but it still show alot of knocks

Quick Reply: Figured it out: Low boost false knock (aka low boost flutter)