Notices
ECU Flash

Odd rich conditions, unstable idle, etc..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Odd rich conditions, unstable idle, etc..

Trying to patch up a car for a friend, and trying to retune it for him.

Evo9, cossie cams, sheet metal intake manifold, ets intake, normal rest of the boltons. Still running MAF, currently on stock injectors till I can sort out this issue, then switch to PTE1200.

It starts and runs pretty ok, but when you go to pull off it has hardly any grunt to go, almost feels like going dead lean but AFR's are in the 14's. If you're cruising along and slightly let off gas(not all the way) it drops to 10.0 or lower, even to the point that it will start missing until you throttle it up some more or let off and let it engine brake and clear cylinders.

Sometimes if you clutch in or pull through a parking lot and clutch in it drops to 10.0 or lower and might stall or just barely idle for a bit. Also after you start driving it and come to a stop the idle will pulsate a few hundred rpm's before going lean(15+) and settling down for a bit, then goes rich and idle climbs(1200-1300).

I've set the BISS, checked for voltage drops to the injectors and the ecu both on the power and ground side, swapped ecu with a known good unit. I tried swapping the maf but the one I had to swap with has the screen ripped out... I tried upping the decel fuel subtractor substantially but it hardly made a difference. Wondering if potential for a bad mivec gear....I'm logging mivec with evoscan but am unsure if that's actual or requested.

Any ideas??

Last edited by ExViTermini; Aug 1, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's most likely a MIVEK issue, Oil Feeder Valve or Cam Gear. I'm having some of the same issues with very lite throttle, almost before engine break, and I get 10's thru 12's and some bucking. I replace the Oil Feeder and it improved 90% of the problem, but not 100%. I think next will be the Cam Gear.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Pulled the mivec solenoid yesterday and checked and activated it(via batt power), it operates just fine. Plenty of oil in that area, filter is nice and clean.

This one's driving me crazy lol