Notices
ECU Flash

Tuning Evo789 ACD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
If that wire were just spliced into the reflashing block by the obd2 port so that it went to two places , the factory location and tee in the acd ecu, would it init properly to flash based on what rom was open in ecu flash?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 02:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it could be work good, nobody knows... CAN bus is a structurate protocol and should provide this kind of releshing. I mean: two ecus must have different IDentifications even for read then reflash.
For me it just confrotable to link obd2 in stock port and switch only the reflash connector to ACD ecu and engine ecu.

Try do youre TEE and let us know!!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
these controllers are not CAN-bus, they are K-Line.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Floppyz, I added a wire to pin 25 going to the reflash connector as you explained/showed but was unable to read from the ACD ECU. Here's the error I got in Ecuflash:

[18:15:15.563] using metadata XML ID read_ACD from file C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/read templates/read_ACD.xml
[18:15:15.579] J2534 API Version: 04.04
[18:15:15.579] J2534 DLL Version: 1.00.3721 Jan 9 2013 17:24:59
[18:15:15.579] Device Firmware Version: 1.12.3688
[18:15:15.579] Device Serial Number: TA4MVrys
[18:15:17.586] sending init sequence 2
[18:15:19.598] interface close

I didn't add a pin to the connector, I just stuffed a wire inside it "hoping" it would make contact. Maybe that's the problem?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Raptord 2.0 cable right?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Floppyz
Great stuff Malocas! Unbeelivable!
I Think that kind of explanation are the base for understanding how to use the important tool gived us by Merlin and company.

Merlin:
I'm very happy to find peaple as you all very professional ans intrested in this kind of things.
I'm an ex rally driver but I am not God! I think it could be wonderfull to mix real exeprience with tecnologies and tuners! Just because we all need fan!!!

I think tha a great stuff will be to mix Malocas exeprinece with your xml definition, to improve the tuning power.

Now I'll go out with my Evo to test things read here!
bye

I've made this this kind of test:
First I set the upper pressure limit to 17 bar and logged the pressure value at idle with engine off: it works quite good, but I think the expasion vase ar at limit, I mean it could require a little air pressure more.

Strange thing: At idle, with RA K2 rom, I logged the current valve to ACD, it rise till 1000mA at wot; ok. Same test but with stock evo 8 or evo 9 (as Malocas) and that current rise only to 330mA, why??????

Second test: stock evo8 map with only this silly modify (wide open throttle i'd like non slip at low speed, (in the pict)), the car exit from slow turn is became incredibly understeering!! Why????
First off, I dont have the RA K2 Rom. I actually only have the C1 Rom but with my XML I cant see all the data, i can only see what my xml can show me, which is not much. If you can share the RA K2 Rom that would be useful for comparison reasons, if not thats ok.

I Didnt do any logging what so ever! Becasue of that, I dont think i can help you with how the amount of mA are manipulating the ACD. If anything, my guess is that Ralliart has the start settings much more aggressive, while the stock setting are in safer levels.

If this involves pressures, the ACD ECU will just use what ever pressure it takes to meet the desired grip levels. i know stock min pressure levels are set to 11 and ranges to the maximum of 15.2. Mitsubishi stated that the ACD was up to 3 times the limiting force of the viscous unit, up to around 730lb of clamping force. In stock, the car only makes 289lbft.

Your Second test: so you plotted at wot, 30% at 40kph and 30% 60kph. If you were at low speed i am guessing you were maybe in 4,5, or 6 gear, traveling slow. So as you turn, the Front axle and Rear axle are LESS FREE to do what ever they want. You made them more in sync with each other, forcefully. You where binding! At low speed that can give you understeer.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Biggy VIII
Malocas, let me rephrase it to make everything clear for me...

Main maps are A-Maps G-Force vs Speed.
Value determines drivers Steering Degree Input at which ACD locks to some %% needed to equalize axles speeds. So generally it keeps both axles equal at any speed up to 1.9G, then as G rises, ACD is kept open at higher Steering Degrees.
Are you sure that X axis is correct? 4g is a really high number, actually that kind of G-force can be archieved on F1 cars..

B-Maps are Throttle input vs Speed. Value determines slip. Higher number - more diff slip, less lock.
So at 250kph ACD is fully locked??

C-Maps are Steering Degrees vs Speed. Value determines slip. Higher number - more diff slip, less lock.
In stock it keeps diff locked up to 10 kph at any Steering Wheel input, and keeps it fully open at any speeds higher than 40kph.

B and C maps act only after A-maps complete their job - equalize both axles.

Am I right?
On the A Maps they are VOLTS from 0.0 VOLTS to 4.O VOLTS.
That is what Mitsubishi used. The G Sensor sits at 2.5 Volts constantly when the car is not moving.

If you touch or hit the brakes and the care Decelerate the Voltage RISES to 3.0Volts (which is 0.5 G forces of Deceleration). As you brake harder, even to a panic to the higher Gs, voltage RISES to 3.7Volts (1.2G force of Deceleration) or even 4.0Volts (1.5G force of Deceleration), the ACD will be OPEN longer based on what Degree is Plotted.

The intent is that when you brake, the rear can be free to twist or come around. Its hard to see that in the street but its possible. In Dirt, the back comes around more noticeable, so Gravel and Snow are much more free, in Hard Deceleration.

As you Accelerate the voltage DROPS to 2.3 volts( 0.2 G force of acceleration) or a hard acceleration through more power or a sharp swing around a high speed curve, the voltage can DROPS to 1.9Volts(1.1 G force of accelerate). The ACD will be CLOSED more often to be sure the front tires do not make a larger arc then the rear, the car will be more NEUTRAL while driving on acceleration.

1.0Volts (1.5 Gforce of Accelotation)

2.5Volts (0.0 Gforce, NO MOMENTUM )

4.0Volts (1.5 Gforce of Deceleration)

Remember momentum plays a big part, then how your suspension takes advantage of that momentum and how your tires will handle those forces.

With B Maps you are correct.

It does start to lock up at high speed and then fully lock at 250kph. It was for stability because if there was a little under steer at high speed, A Map will allow the ACD to open up and the Rear end can swing around. That can be a 250kph spin out!!!

With C Maps you are correct.

At low speed it is locked because the manufacturer probably didn't want power easily sent to the front. They wanted to be sure power was equal at low speeds at any condition to get up and go. Its also easier on the Center Differential.

***So are cars have a bad turn radius because of this, and now you know how to solve that but be careful with that center diff***

Above 40kph, in first gear, there is a lot of torque available. Slip becomes allowed in hopes that the weight can keep the front wheels planted to the floor and the rear wheels can brake traction.

ALL the maps are checking each sensor at a high resolution and calculating what is need almost instantly. So I say in the stock rom, A Map is dominant because the Voltage is jumping around just as much as the car shakes on a bumpy road. A Map is very dynamic! ......B map checks throttle: slip or no slip??? ......C map checks Steering: slip or no slip???
Its all in milliseconds!!! Electricity almost going the speed of light.

ACD Helps a lot with being stable, neutral, have less under steer.

The REAL secret to OVERSTEER is an Upgraded REAR LSD. EVEN with the Stock ROM ...amazing.

Having both is better.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning Evo789 ACD-evo-acd-gforce-voltage.jpg  

Last edited by Malocas; Jan 12, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:46 PM

I respect Merlin, he does amazing work. My XML and experience is my opinion, what i have learned over the years and through the service manuals. If you want to use his XML use his theories, If you want to use mine, use my theories.

My XML works for my liking, I Make an adjustment and it acts how i expect it to act.

What i want to do is learn off each other, testers, experienced drivers, etc.
There is stuff that Merlin has in his xml's that i want to figure out as well.
Lets all keep helping each other cause people are making money with this when other countries have been sharing for a longer time already.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry for the unintellectual addition... but i'm subbing in as i'm trying to get into acd tuning myself...

i posted in the other thread but does anyone have a ralliart T1 map?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:41 PM

T1 Rom is one of the hardest ones to find. I recently got C1 rom and thats all i have. All my other roms are custom.

I say anyone can join in. The other thread is about "Getting started, READ and FLASH"

I think this Thread can be about "ROMS"
Old Jan 13, 2014, 04:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The C1 ROM is bad. I don't recommend it at all. The C1 for 8MR/9 controllers anyway (I'm not aware of any other C1 ROM though).

The best ROM I've found to play with so far is a combination of stock and RA K1 for Evo 8. Stock mapping I've found work really well in the decel maps. No real need to change these too much (providing the AYC map has been modified) as braking stability and initial turn in is good. Overall grip and rear end stabikity levels are increased a lot! However, still has considerable understeer on excessive throttle amounts when in mid corner. Hoping to dial this out over time as I learn more. The comments given here will help dramatically. (I can provide a copy of my modified rom if anyone wants? I believe its a very good base to start tweaking from)

Thank you Dave (Merlin) and Malocas for your very detailed posts and knowledge sharing. Greatly appreciated.

As for the flashing of the ECUs from the OBDii port, there's no reason why a switch can't be used between the flash port wire, to each ecu. That way you can select AYC or Engine ecu that gets the flash voltage.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Raptord
Floppyz, I added a wire to pin 25 going to the reflash connector as you explained/showed but was unable to read from the ACD ECU. Here's the error I got in Ecuflash:

[18:15:15.563] using metadata XML ID read_ACD from file C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata/read templates/read_ACD.xml
[18:15:15.579] J2534 API Version: 04.04
[18:15:15.579] J2534 DLL Version: 1.00.3721 Jan 9 2013 17:24:59
[18:15:15.579] Device Firmware Version: 1.12.3688
[18:15:15.579] Device Serial Number: TA4MVrys
[18:15:17.586] sending init sequence 2
[18:15:19.598] interface close

I didn't add a pin to the connector, I just stuffed a wire inside it "hoping" it would make contact. Maybe that's the problem?
Shure, I've done the same thing: one wire 1mm squarem unsheathed a lot an than stuffed inside make shure the copper makes good contact. That All.
bye
Old Jan 13, 2014, 05:04 AM

Hi averybody.
Here the RA K2 I found.
bye
Attached Files
File Type: bin
RA-K2.bin (128.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: xml
401501.xml (13.0 KB, 0 views)
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Floppyz
Hi averybody.
Here the RA K2 I found.
bye
Heres C1. I have a few XMLs for this and I don't know which one is right. I can upload them later, it'd be nice if I could just inherit Merlin's most recent .

How can I compare the addresses to see thoroughly ?
Attached Files
File Type: bin
RalliArt_C1_RA168749C1.bin (128.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Jan 13, 2014 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Tuning Evo789 ACD