Notices
ECU Flash

Dip in AFR at peak boost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Its just the "lag" between the MAF sensor and the actual engine. I'll try to explain.

The MAF is at the beginning of the intake stream and measures there, so when spooling, it see all this air coming in and tells the ECU to throw in a bunch of fuel, but the air isnt actually in the engine for a half a sec or so, which creates that rich dip.

A couple things help me find this out. First, on Suby's with a top mount, you have no rich dip. But when you put a FMIC on a suby, you start getting the same rich dip the evos have. Also, when EVOs go to SD, theres usually no rich dip, as the air is measured at the manifold, instead of the beginning of the intake track.

You can usually tune it out but it takes some time. Also, think of the lag of the MAF and the lag of the wideband (since its not inside of the engine and is actually 16"-36" away) when tuning. ie if it says the rich dip is at 300load/4000RPM, you probably actually need to tune the 3750RPM/250-270load area. Hopefully you get what Im saying.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Nov 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This makes perfect sense. Is there any concrete data on the lag between standard location o2 readings and the other variables(rpm/load) in the logs? I have been wondering if this time difference should be considered significant or negligible.

I need to hurry up and go SD
Old Nov 9, 2013, 03:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Its just the "lag" between the MAF sensor and the actual engine. I'll try to explain.

The MAF is at the beginning of the intake stream and measures there, so when spooling, it see all this air coming in and tells the ECU to throw in a bunch of fuel, but the air isnt actually in the engine for a half a sec or so, which creates that rich dip.

I couple things help me find this out. First, on Suby's with a top mount, you have no rich dip. But when you put a FMIC on a suby, you start getting the same rich dip the evos have. Also, when EVOs go to SD, theres usually no rich dip, as the air is measured at the manifold, instead of the beginning of the intake track.

You can usually tune it out but it takes some time. Also, think of the lag of the MAF and the lag of the wideband (since its not inside of the engine and is actually 16"-36" away) when tuning. ie if it says the rich dip is at 300load/4000RPM, you probably actually need to tune the 3750RPM/250-270load area. Hopefully you get what Im saying.
Thats what I thought before, but I've noticed that issue appeared on my own car after I switched from Low-Z PTE780 to Hi-Z ID1000 and to FIC1100 injectors (scaled properly, trims are +/-3%). Never experienced it on smaller then 850cc Low-Z injectors, including stock. I also seems that it is more Maf Hz dependant then Load. In my case it was in 900-1200Hz area, right where we have a "bump" of highest values in stock Maf Scaling Table.

Last edited by Biggy VIII; Nov 9, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I hate to throw in another layer of complexity but my last set of injectors were PTE 780's and it was doing the exact same thing with them if not a few tenths worse. This is what led me to build a COP setup as I thought I was getting spark blow out at peak but I've since found that not to be true.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggy VIII
I also seems that it is more Maf Hz dependant then Load.
Thats what I was saying.