Notices
ECU Flash

Full boost coming very Late.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Full boost coming very Late.

I recently bought a dual ball bearing turbo from a Taiwanese company. 66.5 mm compressor wheel 0.70 A/R and 62.2 mm turbine wheel 0.82 A/R. I have an evo 7 with Stock head, S2 cams, valve springs and retainers , Skunk 2 pro intake manifold, MAPerformance exhaust manifold t3. Turbosmart 38mm wastegate with 1.2 BAR spring installed. BLITZ boost controller.

The issue i am facing is the turbo starts spooling around 3000 RPM but i dont get full boost untill 6200 RPM. Rev limit is 8400 , no matter how quick i shift boost drops during the shifts.
I have checked for boost leaks , fixed them but still full boost is so late. People running similar spec turbos get full boost at 5000 - 5500 RPM max. [ tried increasing the gain on boost controller but it did not have any effect and never experienced any boost spike ]

I have tuned it with different Air Fuel ratio & timing combination during spool up but they dont seem to have any effect.

Please advise how to trouble shoot this problem ?

Attaching the log
http://www.4shared.com/file/gimOXTCJ...ull_boost.html
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mines5
I recently bought a dual ball bearing turbo from a Taiwanese company. 66.5 mm compressor wheel 0.70 A/R and 62.2 mm turbine wheel 0.82 A/R. I have an evo 7 with Stock head, S2 cams, valve springs and retainers , Skunk 2 pro intake manifold, MAPerformance exhaust manifold t3. Turbosmart 38mm wastegate with 1.2 BAR spring installed. BLITZ boost controller.

The issue i am facing is the turbo starts spooling around 3000 RPM but i dont get full boost untill 6200 RPM. Rev limit is 8400 , no matter how quick i shift boost drops during the shifts.
I have checked for boost leaks , fixed them but still full boost is so late. People running similar spec turbos get full boost at 5000 - 5500 RPM max. [ tried increasing the gain on boost controller but it did not have any effect and never experienced any boost spike ]

I have tuned it with different Air Fuel ratio & timing combination during spool up but they dont seem to have any effect.

Attaching the log
This could be your issue try a mbc to see if it works well
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Have you looked at turbo wheels?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8vz
This could be your issue try a mbc to see if it works well
MBC is the last option ill try and if it still didnt work then i think precious $ wasted.

Btw the same boost controller i had while tuning 6262 and it had no lag problem.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Have you looked at turbo wheels?
They are just like new sir.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
High exhaust manifold back pressure - could it be forcing your wastegate open too early?

How are you controlling boost? Are you using a solenoid valve? If so, is it hooked up like this:

Old Jan 8, 2017, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Well , i cant say for sure about exhaust back pressure .

Yes , using a solenoid but routing is a bit different. Ill post a photo in a day or 2. I need to check the waste gate gasket again.

Last edited by mines5; Jan 8, 2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
For higher boost there is an alternative EBC setup that provides tighter control of the wastegate:

You will immediately see a much higher baseline boost psi if you use this setup. Make sure you zero out your boost tables first to see what the baseline boost is before starting to add back duty cycle.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
For higher boost there is an alternative EBC setup that provides tighter control of the wastegate:

You will immediately see a much higher baseline boost psi if you use this setup. Make sure you zero out your boost tables first to see what the baseline boost is before starting to add back duty cycle.
Thanks sir, ill set it up like this and see if it affects or not.

Alternatively , if i want to hook up an MBC should i set it up like above and leave the top port of wastegate open ?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by mines5

Attaching the log

Not to be dick, but put a real turbo on the car, and you likely won't have this issue. People running "similar" spec turbos with earlier boost threshold is likely because they are running a high quality turbo, with good aero from PTE, FP, Garret, etc.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Not to be dick, but put a real on the car, and you likely won't have this issue. People running "similar" spec s with earlier boost threshold is likely because they are running a high quality , with good aero from PTE, FP, Garret, etc.
You are right Sean.

Looking for a dealer in middle east who has fp turbos available in stock.

Xona 7164 or a Precision 6062
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Does the car pull hard when boost kicks in? And its just a laggy turbo?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Does the car pull hard when boost kicks in? And its just a laggy ?
Yes the car pulls hard after 6500 rpm, it just doesnt like coming into boost early.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a fp red bro. **** is magic
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a fp red bro. **** is magic
Its kind of off topic..
I am a big fan of Fp turbos , tried 3 times to get fp turbo but i cant make a wire transfer directly to their account because of strict govt policy. Paypal doesn't work here so i am literally handy capped in this matter.

Quick Reply: Full boost coming very Late.