Notices
ECU Flash

9417 SD - Dies instantly after startup when cold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
9417 SD - Dies instantly after startup when cold

Car will not stay running after cold start. It starts up very fast without giving it any throttle. The car fights me to stay running after start up with throttle. Once i'm able to get the car finally warmed up it idles fine. TPS is 13.3% and 1000rpm at idle when warm. Fuel pressure and battery voltage are in check.

Car is all stock except for E85, SD, Walbro 255 and 3" exhaust.

I am wondering if this is something related to the IAC. When the car is warm, it revs up and returns to 1000rpm fine.

Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:53 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Could be, have you adjusted the BISS using evoscan? Are the injectors dialed in? If not stock what kind are they and what are your settings for them? Do you have a wideband, if so what is it doing when it dies. If you haven't already do a boost leak test, paying extra attention to the throttle body. The O-ring on my biss was degraded and it was causing me problems until I tracked it down.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Could be, have you adjusted the BISS using evoscan? Are the injectors dialed in? If not stock what kind are they and what are your settings for them? Do you have a wideband, if so what is it doing when it dies. If you haven't already do a boost leak test, paying extra attention to the throttle body. The O-ring on my biss was degraded and it was causing me problems until I tracked it down.
I have not adjusted the BISS using evoscan, only by warming up the car and then adjusting the biss to get my desired RPM at full temp. After I adjusted the biss and set the tps sensor to 13.3%. I will use evoscan w/ the speed adj. screw mode next and see how that works out.

They are stock injectors. AFR looks pretty decent, a little on the lean side but shouldn't cause it stalling.

I'll do a leak check as well. No obvious loud leaks from listening by ear with it running.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:20 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by badev0
I have not adjusted the BISS using evoscan, only by warming up the car and then adjusting the biss to get my desired RPM at full temp. After I adjusted the biss and set the tps sensor to 13.3%. I will use evoscan w/ the speed adj. screw mode next and see how that works out.

They are stock injectors. AFR looks pretty decent, a little on the lean side but shouldn't cause it stalling.

I'll do a leak check as well. No obvious loud leaks from listening by ear with it running.
The common method I use is to spray everything with soapy water and look for bubbles. You get the added benefit of some under the hood clean up too lol. Yah if you adjust it without using evoscan the ecu is just adjusting as you adjust. Tuning wise there are a few different approaches you can try to deal with post crank stalling. First though you should eliminate the mechanical stuff like biss and potential leaks.