Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Intake Manifold Test

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold Test

I saw this thread on another board and thought it was interesting given the all the recent debate over intake manifolds. Apparently, someone took the initiative to dyno test the original design and the current design to show results over the OE.

Intake Manifold Test

Quite impressive work, in my opinion.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Wow. Hmmm...thats definitely some food for thought.

Thanks EvoRace
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this shows why the Wilson V2 works so well. Wilson Manifolds doesn't just throw a die grinder in someone's hands that just learned what a die grinder is, then expect them to get results. Porting the stock manifold is an art and not just anyone can do it. The V2 has been on the dyno and proven it's results not just in dyno numbers, but track numbers. If a recommendation of staying with the stock manifold was good for overall performance reasons, imagine the difference if it's been modified by professionals who do it for a living.
Good read.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Great testing.

Curious to know if the spread in power between the manifolds would widen by a larger margin at , let's say 35psi??
Old Jan 27, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I still like that the stock jank has them all by 15hp at 5200....
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:53 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 9sec9
I think this shows why the Wilson V2 works so well. Wilson Manifolds doesn't just throw a die grinder in someone's hands that just learned what a die grinder is, then expect them to get results. Porting the stock manifold is an art and not just anyone can do it. The V2 has been on the dyno and proven it's results not just in dyno numbers, but track numbers. If a recommendation of staying with the stock manifold was good for overall performance reasons, imagine the difference if it's been modified by professionals who do it for a living.
Good read.
How does the Wilson alter runner length on a stock casting to provide desired results? How much room does wilson have to alter plenum volume to achieve desired results? Modifying a stocker is an exercise in turd polishing. I'm fully aware that myth busters proved that you can polish a turd, but I think you get my point. What probably hurts the most is knowing that the new Magnus is the kick *** part that you need to run but Dave would disown you if you did.

Last edited by dan l; Jan 27, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
I still like that the stock jank has them all by 15hp at 5200....

Do we have any dyno results of the wilson yet? Last thread I saw it was a whole bunch of people hyping it and no dyno results yet LOL. Like I said, the mustang must need a recalibration or the intake air sensor for the dyno must need a bracket made up so that it can be mounted over the exhaust manifold for the "baseline" and then free air for the "enter brand x part here". LOL@!

Last edited by dan l; Jan 27, 2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
How about copying and pasting the thread over here. I can't register as I don't have a valid "referrer" to read it.

dan l, your comments are hilarious..............not.

Yes, there has been dyno testing of the Wilson. Yes, Wilson changes the runner length, plenum volume and runner taper, actually.

My street car ran 9.04 at 159.6 on it, with a HTA35. Need more proof? Tom's car ran 9.2 on it's 2nd pass. Need more proof, Mike ran 8.98.

fast_freddie, NO intake I have tested performs better than the stock one under about 5500 rpm.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Modified stock intake manifolds definitely look to be the best choice for the majority of cars.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on coping the results to this thread
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Can't read anything....
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
How about copying and pasting the thread over here. I can't register as I don't have a valid "referrer" to read it.

dan l, your comments are hilarious..............not.

Yes, there has been dyno testing of the Wilson. Yes, Wilson changes the runner length, plenum volume and runner taper, actually.

My street car ran 9.04 at 159.6 on it, with a HTA35. Need more proof? Tom's car ran 9.2 on it's 2nd pass. Need more proof, Mike ran 8.98.

fast_freddie, NO intake I have tested performs better than the stock one under about 5500 rpm.
You don't have to have a referrer to register. So far as I can tell anyone can register, they just have to verify a valid email and you are on. At least that's what they did with me.

And one quick question, when are you ever under 5500 rpm on the drag strip?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

OK, I have to make this comment. Ive been stewing on this for a while now. Ever since Buschur did his intake manifold testing thread. I even PM'd David before making this post to make sure I had my facts straight about his test before making my comments. Take them for what you will, but here are my thoughts....

Given you want the most bang for the buck, and given your car makes "the norm" for a modified Evo.... I mean if youre considering an intake manifold then the car is likely doing 550-650 right? Then, why wouldn't you just run the ported stock manifold and Buschurs 65mm throttle body? Lets look at what all these testing threads have covered....

1. ported stock manifold + 65mm OE TB yields on average 15+hp with no sacrifices
  2. most of your popular aftermarket manifolds (VSR, Magnus V5, DI) yield 25-35hp but really only from ~6500+rpm.
  3. the popular wilson V2 was demonstrated by mr. buschur himself in another thread to perform damn near right inline with the DI manifold, yet it costs $600 more than a DI manifold. Granted it doesnt have any low end sacrifices, so keep that in mind. To some that will be worth $600, to others it may not.
Considering the above information in making a smart purchase Im having a hard time understanding why one wouldnt consider the ported stock manifold and 65mm TB, which costs what around $400 for both? Is it really worth the $900-1550 price tag for an aftermarket manifold plus whatever you will spend on getting the stock TB bumped to 65mm or a Mustang style TB (which I hate for a street car) to yield another 15-25hp? In my opinion Id rather keep my thousand bucks if its only going to get me that kind of power. It is interesting to me that nobody has spoken up about this yet. Ive gone over the threads, comparisons, and dyno sheets posted over and over again hoping to find that Im missing something but it doesnt look like I am.

Again, this is my opinion. Im sure the flames are going to come in harder than a queer bar's apple martini happy hour but its just my take on how I make buying decisions.

rgds,
-bill
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evorace
And one quick question, when are you ever under 5500 rpm on the drag strip?
that is a good point however also consider this point...

in a 365 day year how many times is the car at the drag strip? If its like most guys cars on this forum the car is daily driven seeing the track just every once in a while.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:41 PM

Bill,
I think what you have to say is a valid point. But remember that most of the folks who buy intake manifolds are looking for more horsepower. Obviously, there are different methods of achieving horsepower and a intake manifold is only one part of the equation. However, I think that if you are looking to extract the maximum amount of power from your setup at some point, the stock intake manifold is a restriction. At that point, I THINK the money is moot and the desire becomes to move past the restriction to gain horsepower.

Just my 3 pennies.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Test