Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Top Level has a blast with Speed density and 2.3 liters!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neilm
what do you need to get parts wise to make SD work
sensor etc
A map sensor and IAT sensor. The IAT sensor needs to be installed post IC in your UICP or IM. For UICP, you will need to have a bung welded on. For the IM, you will need to drill and tap.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by E-SPEC@TopLevelPerformance
Every now and then every tuner has a client that deserves a special touch...

This client's son wasn't available,,, duties to our country outweigh the need for speed.-->>> But one hell of a dad wanted his son's car to be ready for action.

Subject vehicle..

05 Evo 8
Jam 2.3 shortblock
Jun 272's
Shearer Manifold
35r
Spark-tech ignition
E-spec tuned ECU + Speed density ( Everyone give Tephra a standing ovation!! )
27psi and 93 pump

Took some time to slap a quick vid together in order to attempt to capture a few moments....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f51tlJ3NQsI
Thanks for putting the tune on our complete JAM 2.3 engine

Our customer has been driving his car for a few years now and enjoying every moment of it but the tune was never up to the performance level of his engine.

We are certain he'll get even more enjoyment now that it is running correctly. His son is going to have a blast if he can ever get the keys back from his Dad

Last edited by Jackson Machine; Jan 9, 2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Type-O
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

With-out knowing the history of the car, I could not go as aggressive as I wanted to with this one. The goal was to have a fun, reliable, 500hp street car with gobs of response. There's a ton left on the table and I'm sure the owner will be pleased.

We were unable to make good contact for a tach ref. and tuned with-out torque readings.

There was a stock intake manifold in place, not sure if they were ported or not... The pulls were on the dyno to 8k or so.
The Intake manifold is stock, his cylinder head is our JAM Stage IV build. This stage was suitable for the size of the engine and the camshafts
Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jackson Machine
The Intake manifold is stock, his cylinder head is our JAM Stage IV build. This stage was suitable for the size of the engine and the camshafts
Awesome!!!,,,

Let's talk about the motor and head as per the tune then...

Harmonics:
The knock sensor was happy as a pig in $hit-- Meaning the clearances were snug like mitsu builds them. There was little to 0 adjustments on my knock sensor adjustment which came as a surprise to me to be quite frank-- a very pleasant surprise.

Fueling:
The intake, displacement , cam combo required gobs of extra fueling down low to midrange. The motor was responsive as all hell to changes and the 'butt dyno' from the road tune initially could tell the difference instantly. THIS THING FLOWS people!! And even knowing the chokepoints on the combo ( intake manni, tb, intercooler ) this 'fire breathing dragon' of a motor always begged for more..lol I must still add some fueling to throttle 'tip-in'--->>> All good signs of increased VE!!

Ignition timing:
With the addition of the spark-tech set-up, I was all set to crank up the knobs on my timing map. We hit our goal with-out me getting to dial up the knobs. I was so pleased to be at this power level with-out an aggressive curve by far.

Final thoughts, future plans:

From what I've seen so far, this motor deserves an intake manifold (Magnus, Ams, or DI ???? ) and a throttle body ( Boomba, MaPerformance, or BR ported? ) and a trip back to the dyno with some race gas to lay down over 700hp. Depending on the owner's schedule, we'd like a take a trip to e-town with him and dial the car in for a very easy deep 10 second pass at full weight.

Great products!! Thanks for participating in this thread!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
A map sensor and IAT sensor. The IAT sensor needs to be installed post IC in your UICP or IM. For UICP, you will need to have a bung welded on. For the IM, you will need to drill and tap.

Guys like you are pioneers in the tech available today. With-out your efforts, we would all be ems shopping.

I think l2r99gst, MrFred, Tephra, JcsBanks, and others deserve all of the credit for where opensource tuners are today. I've spent hours and hours doing research, reading their passages thread, after thread, after thread. They are there for support whenever you need them and always get a standing ovation from yours truly.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 02:42 PM
mjo

Thanks snb

Originally Posted by snb
It was a fun dyno session @ TSA Dyno.
Nice car with good power!

Congrats, mjo
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Awesome!!!,,,

Let's talk about the motor and head as per the tune then...

Harmonics:
The knock sensor was happy as a pig in $hit-- Meaning the clearances were snug like mitsu builds them. There was little to 0 adjustments on my knock sensor adjustment which came as a surprise to me to be quite frank-- a very pleasant surprise.

Fueling:
The intake, displacement , cam combo required gobs of extra fueling down low to midrange. The motor was responsive as all hell to changes and the 'butt dyno' from the road tune initially could tell the difference instantly. THIS THING FLOWS people!! And even knowing the chokepoints on the combo ( intake manni, tb, intercooler ) this 'fire breathing dragon' of a motor always begged for more..lol I must still add some fueling to throttle 'tip-in'--->>> All good signs of increased VE!!

Ignition timing:
With the addition of the spark-tech set-up, I was all set to crank up the knobs on my timing map. We hit our goal with-out me getting to dial up the knobs. I was so pleased to be at this power level with-out an aggressive curve by far.

Final thoughts, future plans:

Great products!! Thanks for participating in this thread!

Ok one step at a time:
Harmonics:

All of our 2.3 builds run smooth and proper, this is no surprise to us. If a "Tuner" cannot properly tune the increased displacement/stroke then there are always issues or problems. Every detail is covered inside the build to ensure smooth/responsive operation. Glad to see MO has selected your shop.

Perfect combination:
From what I've seen so far, this motor deserves an intake manifold and a throttle body and a trip back to the dyno with some race gas to lay down over 700hp. Depending on the owner's schedule, we'd like a take a trip to e-town with him and dial the car in for a very easy deep 10 second pass at full weight.

When MO is ready we have the perfect inlet combination for his power plant to avoid any issues with his performance or reliabilty. We will use the WILSON Intake manifold for this JAM 2.3 Hell Raiser. No compromise with his power/performance thru out the entire power range. Wilson is #1 regarding inlet fabrication, design and technology. We will also include the correct size WILSON Billet TB

Thank you for the post
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jackson Machine
Ok one step at a time:
Harmonics:

All of our 2.3 builds run smooth and proper, this is no surprise to us. If a "Tuner" cannot properly tune the increased displacement/stroke then there are always issues or problems. Every detail is covered inside the build to ensure smooth/responsive operation. Glad to see MO has selected your shop.

Perfect combination:
From what I've seen so far, this motor deserves an intake manifold and a throttle body and a trip back to the dyno with some race gas to lay down over 700hp. Depending on the owner's schedule, we'd like a take a trip to e-town with him and dial the car in for a very easy deep 10 second pass at full weight.

When MO is ready we have the perfect inlet combination for his power plant to avoid any issues with his performance or reliabilty. We will use the WILSON Intake manifold for this JAM 2.3 Hell Raiser. No compromise with his power/performance thru out the entire power range. Wilson is #1 regarding inlet fabrication, design and technology. We will also include the correct size WILSON Billet TB

Thank you for the post
What rpm do you prefer a rev-limiter for on your product?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:12 AM
Former Sponsor

What rpm do you prefer a rev-limiter for on your product?

Good question

The RPM limit is when the engine stops making power. Another words if the engine is pulling/making power up to 8800 rpm and then falls off after that then why rev it any higher? Higher rev's without a performance gain is only wearing out your engine. So you would work within the power range of the engine rather then setting a rpm range in your mind and pushing to achieve it. There are too many factors which determine max rpm's such as the supporting equiptment-not just the engine but also everything hooked to it!