Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Time for a rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for a rebuild...

Here is my last tune at 55k before my piston ring (oil#2) cracked and scored the block. She's down, but not out. I'll probably be doing a setup close to tscompusa, due to the fact I love to autox and road race and need power when I want it. It's nothing special, but pretty good for the mods I have..

ENGINE:
Cos M2
MAP ported exh man
AEM intake
Buschur IC pipes
JMF IC
MAP 3" DP with open WG dump
JIC 3" Exh, w/ no cat
TTP/FIC 1000cc inj

A lot of suspension, brakes, blah blah blah

Self tuned, V7, E85

This is default Dynojet setting by the by.
Attached Thumbnails Time for a rebuild...-last-horah.png  

Last edited by lan_evo_mr9; Jul 16, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to read that but 1up for new parts eaven though its under these circumstances
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Were you measuring EGTs?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thats a good graph. Quick Spool + flat torque curve. E85 has mega low EGT's so its pointless to even check. afr could have been a little smoother tho. if you want to pm me your logs + timing map i can take a look and tell you how safe your timing tables were.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

They were safe, but on the limit of MBT. I fixed that dip afterwards...this was just one of the logs out of several I picked

The worse part about the cracked ring thing, is that it happened while I was drag racing... I never drag race...lol. At least I won the race I think all that powa, thats right, powa...was just too much for 55k stock block being road raced, autox'd, and "cough" drag raced. LOL.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
its kind of hard to stay out of it when you have such a fun car like an evo. i cant remember the last time i drove my car without flooring it, unless i was low on fuel or had a boost leak that needed fixed LOL. I just got RE-11's installed and i love them so much.

Let Kreionic tune it after you get it rebuilt. I let him finish up my existing maps and he did an excellent job and he is in MD. He is a very good tuner & was taught by JohnBradley for evo stock ecu.

motor should not have did what it did at only 55k. That sucks. But it sounds like you have $ to get it quickly fixed I hope?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, no money. She's gonna be down for quite some time...maybe two years. Priorities suck.
With a mortgage, wife, two car payments and normal crap to deal with, I'm gonna have to just sock some money away here and there. No biggie, good things come to those who wait and it'll just give me more time to decide on a setup

I want to save up a lump some and do it all at once for a few reasons I've decided upon.

You're right about Charlie, he is definitely good, and I'll probably take to him after my break in period is over many moons from now.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn bro... sucks to hear that...

I would check if something else went wrong... your motor shouldnt have crapped that soon.

And +1 For Charlie
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Figured out the culprit....It's my own stupidity

I was modding the PCV system and put a check valve in backwards causing no fresh air into VC. I noticed it was driving "weird", but didn't think that much of it. Hence the extreme pressure in the crankcase. Dooohh. Live and learn.

Oh well, here I am, getting ready for the rebuild. All good in the hood, just very annoying. Lesson learned to how sensitive that system is when running that much boost/power. I'm "glad" it was a stupid mechanical error and and not my tuning