Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

English Racing SD Evo 9 HKS7460 E85 - Results are in.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats R/T ! You have me beat waaaaa , but I need cams + intake + SD + e85 ...I really like your engine bay - nice and clean. Again congrats on the new turbo.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I did timing sweeps on the dyno. There was nothing left on the table. I was about 2hp per degree of timing... so very close to MBT.

I know this because I pulled 2 degrees of timing across the whole map and look to see a constant offset in torque. I also look at how much power the car loses and where. If for example I had lost 10hp by retarding the ignition timing by 2 degrees at 7k... I might agree with you. But in this case I lost 3hp. 485whp when I pulled 2 degrees across the board.

So... with all certainty... NO this car cannot use more timing up top.
ah ok.. ya i forgot a stroker will allow for more timing anyways. What are you gonna do to crack the 500 or are you gonna leave it as is for now? ive done a lot of spool testing with e85 and i created the fastest spool with less timing at spoolup, just figured id put that out there. Have you ever tested the percentage of ethanol in your e85 yet?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

If you could read my past post, I was all for this turbo, I even asked sean for a quote.
I guess i just expected more power out of this...
I might still make the switch, this turbo is BB.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
ah ok.. ya i forgot a stroker will allow for more timing anyways. What are you gonna do to crack the 500 or are you gonna leave it as is for now? ive done a lot of spool testing with e85 and i created the fastest spool with less timing at spoolup, just figured id put that out there. Have you ever tested the percentage of ethanol in your e85 yet?
I'm going to work with the setup until I get 500... and then I'll be happy To be honest I didn't spend any time on spool up tuning when I was at the dyno... I was there to try and crack 500. I will do some spool up tuning, if I can get my logger to read at high enough frequency. Thanks for the tips.

I have not tested the percentage of Ethanol in the E85 I get from the pump. I know some locals mix leaded race gas with E98 to make their E85. That would be nice, but for now I just buy it 20 gallons at a time from the Shell station in Arlington.

Keath,
I agree I too was a bit bummed I didn't hit 500whp, but all things considered it makes amazing power for the response. I think with some small tweaks (ported exhaust manifold and 65mm tb) I may be able to hit 500whp.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Oct 18, 2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice setup. I love that engine bay.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice post,

I was going to get to tune an HKS shortly, but now I am not... hopefully we will get to run one shortly as I'm always curious what other people are coming up with.

this thread draws alot of hate by those out there that have their opinions... the true and simple fact...

HKS is a great company that makes great parts... I'm glad this turbo is here, it gives us something else to compare too.

Ernie I appreciate you posting this information.... its obvious each version of a turbo thats released is going to fine revisions and improvements over other stuff out there.... that is the nature of progression, especially in motorsports/auto technology!

Also- really like your o2 housing with a PROPER divided gaskets which nearly none of them have... and nice fmic.

Keep in touch via PM as we have been about the things we are testing

cb
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Chad,
I look forward to seeing what you are coming up with. I'll be sure and PM you and bug you for details.

If you guys want additional information, please let me know. I'm planning on doing some T90 testing to quantify "response".... and hopefully hitting up PGP for some more laps
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Regarding the FP4R cams, I too have heard that they can actually improve spool. Not sure how true that is. But for now let's assume they spool no quicker than stock cams.

What I am more concerned with is how they compare to other cams known for favoring mid-range and top end power. I have GSC S2s in my car and I would have gone with the FP's if they would have helped the car spool quicker. Do you have any experience with S2s Ernie?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I havent seen 4Rs spool faster than stock in any car I have tuned. I can say that I do know S2s dont lose spool over stock, BoostedWRX has posted the dyno graphs that show that.

aaron
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these off the shelf S2's or your GSC ER grinds?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Off the shelf S2s in a stock 2.0L. There are only 3 examples of the ER cams in existence right now all are special cases in fairly different types of motors.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gotcha
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
After a ton of pruning work, I have looked over and decided to resurrect the technical portion of this thread.

Over the last week, the turbocharger **** measuring contest has been out of control. I have neither the desire nor the time to handle the ridiculous amount of off topic posts that I am being forced to contend with.

And I won't. If you want to present new evidence, that is great. If you want to compare evidence, that is great. If you want to demean and run down other manufacturers products, you are not gonna do it on this forum.

There are pros/cons/benefits to many different turbos. There are boost and power ranges where some are better than others. Do NOT get so tied up that you place your worth on a freaking turbocharger. It is just asinine.

We now resume to our regularly scheduled technical thead.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool- first time I found this thread. Nice seeing all the comparisons on page 1 Eric!!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I havent seen 4Rs spool faster than stock in any car I have tuned. I can say that I do know S2s dont lose spool over stock, BoostedWRX has posted the dyno graphs that show that.

aaron
That's good to know, who started the thread? you or boostedwrx? so I can search for it.

Quick Reply: English Racing SD Evo 9 HKS7460 E85 - Results are in.