Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

My Evo V RS current tune and some questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First time at the drag strip!

Ok guys, so yesterday was my first time in the 1/4 mile. I wish I could have reached the 11´s, but for now I´ll have to settle with a 12.15 ET. The timing equipment in Peru is limited, so we only get ET, TT and RT; I can guestimate my trap speed around 112 to 115 from what I saw at the speedo...

I ended placing third in the 12 sec category, my friends wanted to kill me cause I only lost because my reaction time sucked at 0.52 sec and the other guy beat me by 0.07 sec in the TT. I did crank the boost just a bit to reach 25 psi in every gear, this same MBC setting later on a regular street pull gave a 28 psi peak, so not that much more than what I have already been runing. Shifting was done with NLTS. I think with winter weather I could have dipped into the 11´s. Oh well, I´d love to hear comments to help me get into the 11´s with my current setup, and how much do you guys think the GSC S2´s will help? (Installing them in shortly). Oh, and my stup will remain mainly for Autox, but I´ll keep visiting the 1/4 mile events as well.

Cheers,

Ricardo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKiZh4GlzOs&hd=1
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

New Log

On my way to work this morning I did a 3erd gear pull with the MBC boost settings as used last Sunday at the track. Other changes are: 1.5 more turns preload to the spring in the GFB Response DV, tightened all clamps and checked all hooses so there is less or no vacuum/boost leaks (improvement was felt in car´s response and better idle).

The graph shows same tune pulls for previous 27 psi peak and current 28 psi peak with mentioned adjustments. Basicaly no peak power was gained but power band is better, some torque was gained before and after peak power. I had to cut the pull short because of traffic. Oh, outside temps in the morning are starting to drop, so todays pull was with about 2 - 3 ° cooler than the 27 psi pull.

This is as far as I´m willing to push in terms of boost with 98ron fuel (similar to USA 93oct), and I have to do a boost leak test to verify if there are still any leaks.

I´m also trying to refine the lean spool behavior to avoid peaks of 12.3 - 12.4 AFR that I previously had, this time the lean peak was more around 12.2 AFR, which is more where I want it for that very first pull.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-maf-26-27psi-vs-maf-27-28psi.jpg  
Old May 24, 2011, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Reality check and boost logging!

Well now I can finally know with better accuracy what my car is doing in the boost department (fitted an Omni 4 bar MAP). Also, it had been quite some time since I weight my car, and there have been some weight saving mods slowly adding up. So yesterday I used the scale at my job (+/- 10 kg precision) and found that on average my car is about 31 lbs lighter now, so the graph here has that correction.

I know that change only represents maybe 3 or 4 hp difference, but I want my numbers to be as honest as possible, so now I will use these graphs as my baseline. The two pulls are done with lean spool off so the numbers are lower than what I usually see in pulls with lean spool on. The red line is 4th gear started at just after 3.2k rpm and the blue line is 3erd gear started at around 2.7k rpm, different stretch of road in each pull. I still have to do a proper boost leak test, but it seems that for my 13 year old Evo V turbo can hold boost decently.

What I like is that my fueling is now very close to the AFRmap, which is at 11.6 AFR right before peak torque. I did have some Maf calibration that where a bit off and was giving some leaner than wanted spikes.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-18-05-11-v1.2-map-07-3erd-4th-lsoff.jpg  
Old May 30, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Some small fixing and a remap will be needed

Yesterday I was inspecting my car, since it felt slower and less responsive after the drag event last week, and I found my custom compressor outlet pipe cracket because it had been hitting the WGA body . The day before the drag event I did try to lower the WGA in its base to improve the arm travel (shorter than it was) because I wanted to hold boost a little better uptop; that´s why in the second picture there are two marks of where the actuator was pressing against the outlet pipe.

Now I look forward to my times/power without this leak, and will fix it so it doesn´t happen again. Glad I didn´t drive the car after the event last week. I am kicking myself for not doing a proper boost leak test, as this huge leak has probably been increasing over time up to what it is now. Will post a new VD after this is fixed and the car´s tune is adjusted. Oh, and the outlet pipe is not of any particular brand, just a local attempt to make one that end in 2.5 ", so fitment is not yet perfect, but it will be.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-cracked-outlet-pipe1.jpg   My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-cracked-outlet-pipe2.jpg  
Old Jul 5, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Updates and small upgrades

Ok, I got that crack fixed and also did some additional P&P to the hotside and 02 housing, got my hands on an Evo7 Compressor cover as well! For those that don´t understand my excitement, my previous Evo5 compressor cover has a 56mm inlet, starting from the Evo6 onwards this was changed to 64mm to aid in midrange and topend. So now my turbo is basically an Evo8 turbo.

Here are the results: Green line is the base the car was at before in 3erd gear (same as my previous VD graph), the blue line is just with the P&P to the exhaust housing and 02, and red line is plus the 64mm compressor housing. Timing is the same for all, just adjusted the fuel as required. All pulls are with lean spool off. The green pull was at different but similar road, blue and red are the same stretch of road. Also the WGA arm is half a turn stiffer for blue and red pulls, my Hallman Pro RX is maxed for all pulls.

Just did an 11.96 ET this sunday!

Cheers,

Ricardo
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-02-07-11-normal-turbo-02-porteado-e7-compressor.jpg   My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-evo5-vs-evo7-compressor-cover1-small.jpg  
Old May 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Another update

Hi guys, it´s been a while since I posted about my results, so here´s what been going on in the last 10 months. Picking up from the last power/torque results I changed to: ETS 3.5 intercooler (from Ebay 3" Delta -fin EMUSA), Spooling Up COP (from Okada Projects), and installed Ceramic Bearings in all 4 hubs (Curt Brown´s); all this mods netted the graph in blue, which is an improvement over my previous results and netted a 1/4 mile ET of 11.73 which is my best so far, down from the previous 11.96 ET.

This was all last September - October, now I´ve just installed GSC S2 cams and the results so far are the red graph which comes down to + 5 Hp at 5200 rpm, + 41 HP at 6750 rpm, + 37 Hp at 7094 rpm, and + 25 Hp at 7980 rpm. This is with same boost peak and after 6500 rpm boost is lower with the S2´s since they swallow much more air than the stock cams. I will be at the track this 27 and hope to improve my times by .2 seconds or maybe more, just need to get my launch and shifting right.

Still need to smooth the fueling and it is a little lean since its with lean spool active, the next gear gets steady 11.4 -11.6 afr´s. I also had to preload the wastegate a bit more to recover the boost after the cam swap. Both pulls are on the same stretch of road (not silky smooth) and if smoothing is set to 10 I still get 406 peak Hp.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-ejes-stock-vs-gsc-s2-mayo-13-2012.jpg  
Old May 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

another pull

Ok, did another pull on the same road and added that to the previous two ones in the previous post, only this time I enabled the "smooth time and rpm" in VD. Numbers went a little down, but still shows the solid gains from the cams, also there is a small post turbo pre wideband exhaust leak that is messing with the logged afr and gives lean peaks. At smoothing 10 numbers go down by about 3 hp and 5 trq.

This next sunday I´ll find out how this gains translate in the 1/4 mile. All this pulls are on 98 ron (similar to 93 oct in the USA).

Cheers,

Ricardo
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-ejes-stock-vs-gsc-s2-mayo-19-2012.jpg  
Old May 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
continue to use the smooth time & rpm because its the only thing that makes the VD actually read like a real dynojet

ive tested that now on 6 cars.

make sure you close vd after you turn it on and reopen it for it to fully engage.

Last edited by tscompusa; May 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Tom, yeah I read you post that advice in another thread so I redid the graphs and included the new pull.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Back from the Track!

Just got back from the track and the GSC S2´s didn´t dissapoint. My new best ET is 11.47 seconds, so that´s an improvement of 0.26 over my previous best. Still need to work on my launches...

http://youtu.be/mxx9iy6L0Wk?hd=1

Also, I´m running a Kinugawa 10.5 exhaust housing which has bigger wastegate passages and bigger wastegate plate than the stock Evo 8 -9 exhaust housings, this is making it harder to hold boost. I think I´ll source a helper spring to reach a 30 psi spike rather than the 27 psi spike I can currently get with a lot of preload and the Hallman bottomed out with the super stiff spring.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old May 27, 2012, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice thread and nice car man. Keep it comin
Old May 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steveyrich
Nice thread and nice car man. Keep it comin
Thanks steveyrich, plans for the rest of the year are to increase boost by 2 -3 psi, install forged Manley rods and a self ported head, I´m also trying to have a carbon fiber driveshaft built by PST.

With those changes I hope to achieve maybe 30 - 40 additional whp in VD Dynojet which should put me very near a low low 11 or high 10 second pass with some improved launching and driving. It´s probably going to take another 3 - 4 months to get all that done. Also plan to take at least 50 lbs of weight to help.

Next week I´ll be adding a vent via dipstick tube, like STM and Buschur make, just gona custum do it here since the dipstick in my V RS might be different from the Evo 8 - 9, and is also bent somewhat to accomodate the Magnus V5 manifold.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old May 31, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Some more pics of the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-engine-2011-2.jpg   My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-engine-2011-3.jpg   My Evo V RS current tune and some questions-engine-2011-4.jpg