Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Help me find my power! Dynograph inside

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me find my power! Dynograph inside

Sup yall, I feel like my car is down 60 to 80whp. I will be gettin it retuned in about a week or so with the same tuner/dyno. I just want to make sure that I have every option covered.

Red line (356.75/329.61) 23 psi 93 oct. Mods at the time were as follows: Stock turbo, stock ex manifold, stock O2 housing, Comp 272 cams, Arp head studs, 780cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, 3" downpipe, 3" test pipe, 3" cat back exhaust, ETS 3.5" FMIC-INTAKE-UICP-LICP-RECIRC PIPE, Crushed IX bov, Hallman MBC, AEM Wideband

Green line (368.96/334.10) 25psi 93 oct. Mods at the time were as follows: MAP SST Turbo ported+coated, FP 25psi wastegate actuator, 4WS Mona Lisa Tubular Manifold, MAP 3" O2 Eliminator Downpipe, GSC S2 cams, EVERYTHING ELSE REMAINED THE SAME

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26373413@N06/5641267515/
With so many upgraded parts I def expected to more than +12/+5. I expected this set up to be at least 430whp. While the car was on the dyno the tuner stated that the boost was spiking to 31psi with the MBC barely turned up. He did not feel comfortable tuning the car at 31psi on 93oct and I didnt blame him. So he disconnected the MBC leaving me to be tuned on wastegate pressure. Im hoping/thinking that the 25psi wastegate actuator combined with the "big spring" in the Hallman MBC was the cause. To fix this I have ordered a Omni 4 bar and Grimmspeed 3 port. The tuner also stated that my compression may be the cause of the numbers. At a later date a secondary compression test was performed. The numbers were not flawless but they were on par for a car with 117k on the clock. They were well above the min allowance of 138 too. I have been told that big cams can affect the compression some as well. I have reached out to several sources and they have all stated that my compression results would not have been the cause at the power level. Lastly my car doesnt SMOKE, RUN HOT, or BURN EXCESSIVE OIL.

Just for ref I talked to MAP about this turbo a long time ago and they tuned it around 27-28 psi on pump. I know that tcompusa has tuned an evo with this turbo and it got pretty good results too.

Honestly, Im stomped. Do yall have any ideas or suggestions that I can look into on or before my next tuning session? I want to be as helpful as possible to the tuner and get my car where it should be powerwise.

*MODS, if this is the wrong section just let me know and I will move it.
**The point of this thread is to get my car on par. Not to bash a shop/tuner. At least they are offering to throw it back on the dyno t get it sorted out.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
wow.....somethings up for sure.

can you get a boost compare / overlay for both of the runs you have in your power compare?

who does all the wrenching on the car? do you still have your stock turbo & exh mani?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, spool looks real good, and the power doesnt drop off too much at redline, im thinking it's the tune, you should send the map to Mellon, english racing, or Vrspeed and have them check it out, you should easily be at 400AWHP at that boost level with those mods, the SST turbo isnt much better than say a FP WHITE though so dont expect big numbers but it should be able to put down 450 ish on a dynojet with E85.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
wow.....somethings up for sure.

can you get a boost compare / overlay for both of the runs you have in your power compare?

who does all the wrenching on the car? do you still have your stock turbo & exh mani?
I can try to get the overlay from the shop. All of the new mods were installed by a friend and I. Both of us are pretty familiar with wrenching/working on cars. Cams are timed correctly also.

I sold my stock turbo and exhaust manifold after I purchased the new stuff.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

did you do a boost leak test before. agree with ct9asliver send to mellon for a review of the log. something is definatlely not right.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zeus1
did you do a boost leak test before. agree with ct9asliver send to mellon for a review of the log. something is definatlely not right.
I have not performed a boost leak test yet. I will put that first on my to-do list. Lol, if it is a boost leak its gonna have to be one huge leak.

I downloaded my map and it appears that its locked. I assume this is common practice for all tuners to preserve their work
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

It could be a lot of little leaks also, you never know. Do you have the stock throttle body shaft seals?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Yes i still have them
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i say leaky tb,weak timing and locking ecu/tune is LAME!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Your stock throttle body seals i guarantee that they leak... mine leaked horribly at 50k miles let alone 117k+.

Talk to Mil.Spec about his high pressure seals. Thats what i have and installed them and now noooo leaks at the trottle body just every where else lol.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...available.html

And i agree ^^^^ possible bad timing and maybe knock???
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Im not discrediting the notion of leaks. I will do a boost leak test. The car doesnt have any issues with holding boost though. I was thinking that if it had bad leaks or a huge one that I would have issues holding boost.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

The car definitely seems like its missing some power to have added the mods you did and to be running more boost. I would atleast think it would be in the 380 range on pump.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
Im not discrediting the notion of leaks. I will do a boost leak test. The car doesnt have any issues with holding boost though. I was thinking that if it had bad leaks or a huge one that I would have issues holding boost.
The dyno graph looks very rough, with the proper amount of smoothing to fix the mountain peaks those numbers will be lower. Some dyno ops like to turn the smoothing down to get "higher" numbers unfortunately.

secondly, looking at a boost gauge will not determine if you have leaks. You can have a nasty leak and the turbo will simply spin faster to compensate. That creates a lot of extra heat and kills power and turbos ultimately.

my advice would be to do a proper boost leak test with an air compressor and find a tuner that doesn't lock you out of your own ecu. Hopefully you just need a definition file and it's not really "locked".
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
I downloaded my map and it appears that its locked. I assume this is common practice for all tuners to preserve their work
This might help you.

ECU Unlocker

-Acree
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:43 AM
Account Disabled

it wasn't locked, he just needed the definition file for his ROM

Quick Reply: Help me find my power! Dynograph inside