Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evolution Dynamics Built - Acree's 2.4L/Black - 615hp/589ftlbs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evolution Dynamics Built - Acree's 2.4L/Black - 615hp/589ftlbs

I was finally able to get to the dyno after KevinD at EvoDynamics finished the build last month. I will definitely be heading back to dyno after switching to speed density with the 4" ER intake. Unfortunately, the MAF completely choking the turbo after 5800rpm. Kevin says the MAF stops reading at 7krpm, that's why AFR goes pig rich at the top end. We'll switch SD next month and smooth out the tune. The turbo should have no problem holding 33psi out to 8000rpm with the new intake. Currently its at 33 tapering to 31psi.

Build Thread
Build List
  • KevinD Built and Tuned
  • EvoDynamics 2.4L Evo Shortblock
  • Wiseco HD 10.5:1 Pistons
  • Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam 150mm Rods
  • New OEM Front Case/Oil Pump with Stub Shaft BSE Kit
  • OEM MIVEC Oil Feed Solution
  • ARP Main Studs
  • ARP Headstuds
  • Full ACL Bearings
  • AMS 4G64 Headgasket
  • Waterpump Adapter Plate
  • GSC Beehive's w/Ti Retainers
  • ER Custom GSC 2.4L Cams
  • FP Black Ported conversion from the Stock IX Turbo
  • MAP Stock EM Porting
  • MAP Rev 2 IM
  • MAP Stage 3 Head Porting
  • MAP Open Dump
  • FIC 1450 Injectors
  • BR Double Pumper
  • ETS 2.5" UICP Kit
  • ETS 3.5" Intercooler
  • Synapse BOV
  • ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
  • ACT Street Light Flywheel
  • ACT 6-Pad Sprung Race Disc
  • Grimspeed 3-port EBC
  • 2010 Zeitronix Zt-2 with Fuel Pressure/AFR/Boost/EGT LCD Readout

I believe I've included everything... there's something I missed.

Numbers: 615hp/589ftlbs
Torque/HP/Boost/AFR

If the MAF wasn't choking the setup, I'm sure the torque would not have dropped off as fast as it did after 5800rpm. I would have easily cleared 650hp or more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NALCy6maRHA

Yes, I know I need a catch can. Check back for the Speed Density results.

-Acree
Attached Thumbnails Evolution Dynamics Built - Acree's 2.4L/Black - 615hp/589ftlbs-photo-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Acree; May 2, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65mm tb and bigger fmic would help with that choke
Nice build by the way
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

great write up andrew! once we get the SD thing going, the numbers will definately be higher. hopefully the driveability issues don't drive you crazy though
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very solid setup i bet thats fun on the street
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
glad to see the long wait finally paid off.. you definitely deserve good results after all the headaches that car gave you.. looks very good!

ADD: Talking to Acree now. Load limit and Fuel IPW limit caps on the ecu were not removed, so im walking him through that now. So just so others don't get the wrong idea regarding whats said in here.. the MAF can not be maxed out. once the cap limits are removed it will take unlimited bars.

Last edited by tscompusa2; May 1, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
great write up andrew! once we get the SD thing going, the numbers will definately be higher. hopefully the driveability issues don't drive you crazy though
We'll see how smooth it is with the jitter fixes.

Either way, this man is responsible for the grin on my face every day.

The car will smoke the tires unless you roll into 3rd. 2nd and 1st are useless.

-Acree
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tscompusa
glad to see the long wait finally paid off.. you definitely deserve good results after all the headaches that car gave you.. looks very good!

ADD: Talking to Acree now. Load limit and Fuel IPW limit caps on the ecu were not removed, so im walking him through that now. So just so others don't get the wrong idea regarding whats said in here.. the MAF can not be maxed out. once the cap limits are removed it will take unlimited bars.

you haven't built any 600+whp maf cars have you

the MAF can very clearly be choked (a physical limitation, not a software limitation), and you'll see that when you get to 630ish whp. just like mellon was able to prove (he had 700whp on a dynojet, similiar power). adding boost, fuel, timing, nothing really matters because there is no more air coming in. you can add more boost and reach higher torque for sure, but thats not what acree wanted.

i have several cars with load limit removed, doesn't make a difference beyond that.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Load caps were still there, but it doesn't really matter since SD will be the next step. The only thing the load limit effected on these pulls was the rich dip in the AFR at 7k. The torque curve falls off sharper after 5800rpm.

Even if the MAF can flow more air, the diameter is always going to be set. Plus MAF looks like crap. SD will clean the intake up considerably. I'm definitely excited to see what will happen with that.

-Acree
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
you haven't built any 600+whp maf cars have you

the MAF can very clearly be choked (a physical limitation, not a software limitation), and you'll see that when you get to 630ish whp. just like mellon was able to prove (he had 700whp on a dynojet, similiar power). adding boost, fuel, timing, nothing really matters because there is no more air coming in. you can add more boost and reach higher torque for sure, but thats not what acree wanted.

i have several cars with load limit removed, doesn't make a difference beyond that.

Acrees car did not have the load and fuel limit removed i was just talking to him.

my personal evo is almost 700whp in kill mode.. dont know where you're coming from here.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:15 PM
Former Sponsor

VDR will give 700, sure. put it on a mustang dyno and show us the results. you should be mid 9's with that much whp, i presume you have the slips to show it? mellons also had 700whp and he still hasn't done a 9. one of our cars traps 6.3@113 in the 1/8th with 575whp (your VDR will say significantly more then that). josh is taking it to the 1/4 here shortly to prove it can finish the back half.

and again, the load limit is a software limitation (it should have been turned off, but i must have missed it, freeing up the fuel adjustments will make 10-15whp difference possibly), it doesn't limit the fact that the engine will still suck in more air if it can (but it can't). the maf itself is a physical limitation, load limit just sets the end point of the tune to ~380, you can still tune the 380 load point all you want.

its like tuning a race car on a restrictor, once you max the flow out, adding boost, timing, fuel, nothing makes a difference. i can post the progression of maxing it out. i tuned a car from 30psi up to nearly 40 psi. as the boost increases from one pull to the next, the torque keeps rising, but the HP halts. if a 635ftlb car making only 630whp isn't a good indication of a restriction, then i can't help you . the torque drops off signficantly at higher rpms, always ending at the same point. that was with both the load and fuel cuts removed (i always do it when i build the rom, but acree already had his loaded on the ecu)

Last edited by KevinD; Apr 29, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about you all but i'd love to see some baro readings from start to redline and see how much if any the maf chokes the setup.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
I don't know about you all but i'd love to see some baro readings from start to redline and see how much if any the maf chokes the setup.
If I can log it, I'll do a run with EvoScan and post it up, no problem. I'm assuming your talking about "barometer" reading?

Btw, why the heck is everyone still awake?

-Acree
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice! Just curious, what were your IDCs with those injectors and double pumper? Also, are your running a stock FPR/lines/rails?

-Jesse
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Acree
If I can log it, I'll do a run with EvoScan and post it up, no problem. I'm assuming your talking about "barometer" reading?

Btw, why the heck is everyone still awake?

-Acree
Yep if you don't want to post a whole log just a pressure reading while idle and one from redline would be fine. Pressure drop is what i'm after no one has the results of high power cars on maf with pressure drop for some reason..

Awake? Only 11:21pm here hell i haven't even started drinking yet :P
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jessmanEVO
Very nice! Just curious, what were your IDCs with those injectors and double pumper? Also, are your running a stock FPR/lines/rails?

-Jesse
I don't have any logs with IDC unfortunately. Yes, I am on stock FRP, stock lines, and stock fuel rails.

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Yep if you don't want to post a whole log just a pressure reading while idle and one from redline would be fine. Pressure drop is what i'm after no one has the results of high power cars on maf with pressure drop for some reason..
I will see what I can do.

-Acree

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Built - Acree's 2.4L/Black - 615hp/589ftlbs