Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Andrew's 463whp Auto Evo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Andrew's 463whp Auto Evo

Andrew and I have been hanging out since November 2010 and are the heads of the "R&D" department here at English Racing. We have the wacky ideas, we try them, we have alot we cant use but at the same time we have alot of fun.

Lately of course, EnglishRacing has been hard at work on the Auto project which has been a long time coming. Andrew stepped up the pace when he ordered one last April and decided we were going to make it work. As you know its been in the car since October when we first announced it and we have been working to steadily debug it.

The "Magic Box" has gotten 95% of what we need done so we could test the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mU4...2&feature=plcp

One thing we learned is that with an auto you sit at the flash point of the converter for a long time. In an Evo on gas or E85 this means it can sit at full timing for several seconds as the converter catches up. Read more about that here (keep in mind it gets a little technical)-

http://www.kennedysdynotune.com/Torq...ter%20Tech.htm

Basically it says as torque goes up so does the flash which is what you will see in the dyno graphs. It looks like late spool but trust me its not, its a mirage of the dyno vs auto.

Andrew has had the same stock motor in his IX as most owners do with some upgrades to make it more fun. In his case it had the following mods-

ER SD tune
GSC S2s
3" turbo back
MAP O2 dump
ER test pipe dump
FIC 1450s
64mm FP Red

We started getting a little sketched out by the stock motor and the load it was going to see so even though it had made 401whp through the auto at only 25psi and pumpgas timing on E85, we wanted to fortify it.

This last week, Jeff and TJ did a marathon drop in piston build in an almost while you wait fashion. We changed a few things up in addition to the motor though to help it live in its role as a road race and drag race car-

ER 9:1 2.0L drop in piston motor
84mm Compressor cover
GSC R2 12mm cams (this is the S2R)
GSC Ti retainer/spring combo
Kiggly HLA

Keep in mind this is a stock cylinder head for the time being still, so the results were even cooler than expected-

Pumpgas-

E85-

So the R2s netted us an additional 25whp over the S2s AND spooled faster on a stock cylinder head THRU THE AUTO. We have established with multiple cars with the same basic power level as a manual (mods, boost, fuel, etc.) that we lose 13% through the stock converter. That still means we got around 28whp as a manual. These cams are still not 100% available but will be for the 8 and 9 in the coming months courtesy of GSC. Greg has worked very hard to optimise this profile since we introduced them in Nov 2009. The availability of the billets has been an ongoing problem and that is the main reason there has only been 6-7 sets released. That will be changing in the near future

I am happy to say that the only thing I have seen that beats a GSC cam is another GSC cam-

Pumpgas comparo since we never pushed the E85 tune prior-

Please dont call Greg and ask him when you can get these. When we have a stock of them ready to go, I'll make an announcement. They will definitely need some very specific mods to make them work and at this time they are not meant for a stock motor or anything less than a Red and realistically anything smaller than a Black.

Aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Mar 17, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol you guys are nuts!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Bill, thanks

I forgot to mention, the pumpgas used the same boost level, timing map, and actually ran a little richer. It was as close to back to back as we could get it. Though I know some might feel the 84mm cover added power I am not sure it did. It has definitely cut down surge.

Aaron
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Now that u mention it... pretty rich on the gas tune. Obviously e85 was the target fuel Great results for sure. Turning the wick up and hitting the track sometime soon?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I'm glad those cams are not available lol

What's the specs on this tranny?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BillSpec
Now that u mention it... pretty rich on the gas tune. Obviously e85 was the target fuel Great results for sure. Turning the wick up and hitting the track sometime soon?
We wanted to last night but ran into 2 issues.

#1 rear mount battery with no master cut off doesnt pass tech

#2 Its still March in the NW and it started raining

Soon though, soon

Aaron
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great work guys, this Auto trans is going to be huge for drag racing evos. Bring it to yakima! less chance of seeing rain there
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Aaron,
Can you please comment on idle/drivability of S2's vs. R2's
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly seems to be zero difference. Andrew and I talked about that at length last night actually. His car is more stable now at 1000 rpm than it seemed to be at 1200 before. He has had an alpha SD tune for a long time so me going back and doing a complete retune based on what I know now undoubtedly helped. Once he sees this, Andrew will have feedback I am sure.

I have loved the ones I have, as has Mikey, Acree, etc. I notice no driving issues and manage 24mpg on gas on the highway.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

is the idle as lopey as a S3 or more like a S2?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
Account Disabled

Great job guys!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
id love to feel what a auto evo feels like going through the gears on the street. must be nice not to drop boost inbetween shifts luxury style.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

No boost drop and it shifts in an 1/8th of a second. Pretty buck.

R2s, S2Rs, or whatever they will officially be named idle like S2s...in a IX anyway
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Crazy.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

that is some good stuff. er always the innovators

Quick Reply: Andrew's 463whp Auto Evo