Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Toxicfab 02 dump results Fp Black +59whp!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks pricey
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:26 AM

Video?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a phone vid, I'll try to get it uploaded today folks. thanks for the comments.

Evoruss, I don't know if collin would do the premium port again as it was a 1 off piece but the normal dump is sufficient for great gains. It's built well and worth the dough
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
You're right, I'm not saying this is a universal claim, it just helped out a choke point for my specific car at the time. Other mileage may vary but great gains should happen
Definitely disagree on that being a choke point.

Originally Posted by Moore Auto
Even if it's by being allowed to run more boost because of the relief in back-pressure from the turbo and exhaust. Which, in turn, helps relieve back-pressure in the engine at high rpm's resulting in less knock and less boost taper on stock-frame turbos. Every open dump car I've tune has made more power, safer; than a recirc'd setup with the same mods.

Just my .02 and what I've seen...

~Chris@MooreAutomotive
It seems pretty obvious that what is going on here is not relief in back-pressure but the wastegate being restricted. Hence why boost isn't flat and is creeping. Choke the wastegate and sure, you will make more power. Nice looking piece but

I would like to see a corrected graph. Also smells a bit fishy that the OP took down the dyno graph that was blatantly showing the issues with boost.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Boltz,

I understand you don't believe the gains. But as mentioned Chris can post corrected since you think it is a sham. Also, don't tell me its fishy when the image hosting site took off the pic. I reposted the same pic. I'll get retuned I'm sure in a bit and we can see that boost plot curve again to verify that it was indeed the dump responsible for the gain. I don't doubt it. The car ran much better after I put it on.

I welcome your views, but just don't turn it to a conspiracy theory.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
Definitely disagree on that being a choke point.

It seems pretty obvious that what is going on here is not relief in back-pressure but the wastegate being restricted. Hence why boost isn't flat and is creeping. Choke the wastegate and sure, you will make more power. Nice looking piece but

I would like to see a corrected graph. Also smells a bit fishy that the OP took down the dyno graph that was blatantly showing the issues with boost.
How would it be the wastegate being restricted? If you have a lot of back-pressure in the turbo/exhaust it will not be able to produce boost past a certain level. Tell you what, put a 2" downpipe on your car and see what boost it's running, then change it out to a 3", bet you'll see an increase in boost without touching anything else.

I'll post the corrected graph in a little bit.

~Chris@MooreAutomotive
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Anyway you guys can do testing with the same boost/boost curve?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

first post updated with vid
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Boltz,

I understand you don't believe the gains. But as mentioned Chris can post corrected since you think it is a sham. Also, don't tell me its fishy when the image hosting site took off the pic. I reposted the same pic. I'll get retuned I'm sure in a bit and we can see that boost plot curve again to verify that it was indeed the dump responsible for the gain. I don't doubt it. The car ran much better after I put it on.

I welcome your views, but just don't turn it to a conspiracy theory.

Thanks!
Thanks for being cordial about it. I'm not here to offend anyone and I don't think it is a sham or a conspiracy. Will post my thoughts below...

How would it be the wastegate being restricted? If you have a lot of back-pressure in the turbo/exhaust it will not be able to produce boost past a certain level. Tell you what, put a 2" downpipe on your car and see what boost it's running, then change it out to a 3", bet you'll see an increase in boost without touching anything else.

I'll post the corrected graph in a little bit.

~Chris@MooreAutomotive
It could be the wastegate being restricted because it isn't just as simple as a hole coming out of the wastegate side of the turbo. There is the flapper that opens and closes and the dump side may not have the volume to allow the arm to open fully and/or allow free flow past the arm given the dimensions of the unit.

Pressure ratios are important and yes, a very high P/R will hinder the performance of the car, but your example of changing the downpipe isn't an apples to apples comparison. If you have too high a P/R because your exhaust is too small and you change the exhaust to a more efficient unit, then you will be able to boost more, safely. The difference between that and this (and the way I can discern between the two) is in the boost curve. In the downpipe example you mentioned, you would have a stable boost curve. What we are seeing is a completely unstable boost curve. The BC/WG are not able to do their job. Seeing as the only change in setup is the dump, it is clear that the design is not allowing the wastegate to properly flow. Thus you see an increase in boost because the path of least resistance is now the turbine wheel which ultimately increases your boost level, increasing power numbers yes, but it is actually from poor flow on the w/g side, not from increased flow on the turbine outlet side.

Boltz
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ very nice post boltz.

from reading your post then you can say that if you are running an fp black or an internal wastegated bigger turbo you would then need a dump to make these type of gains.

im sure using the stock turbo would not yield gains like an fp black. simply because the stock turbo will not flow enough to cause too much back pressure.

That would mean that anyone pushing 30+ psi on a fp black or similar turbo should see similar gains from using a dump.

Last edited by civicej8; Apr 10, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting views boltz. I believe chris mentioned we should log boost more accurately with an omni bar to really see the boost plot more accurately. It'll be getting built later so I'll just see what it can make after 2 more parts. t/b + im and perhaps electronic boost to get better control. If it still gives a strange boost plot such as this I'll deal with it then.

Civice, the fp black seems to gain greatly from a dump from what i've seen.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
Here are some pics of his actual part..

How much is this piece? Also is there a way to attach a mounting point to the block like the stock one and the Invidia one does?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting views boltz. I believe chris mentioned we should log boost more accurately with an omni bar to really see the boost plot more accurately. It'll be getting built later so I'll just see what it can make after 2 more parts. t/b + im and perhaps electronic boost to get better control. If it still gives a strange boost plot such as this I'll deal with it then.

Civice, the fp black seems to gain greatly from a dump from what i've seen.
as long as you gained more power thats all that matters. hopefully we can learn off of your post to make better decisions with our own cars. thanks.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
How much is this piece? Also is there a way to attach a mounting point to the block like the stock one and the Invidia one does?
Bump for answer. Also what o2 housing was on this car before the test?

Quick Reply: Toxicfab 02 dump results Fp Black +59whp!!