Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP HTA 71 w/GSC S2 & Revolver cams! DYNO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would upgrade the wastegate acuator too. The Revolvers and S2's should have been installed straight up.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had dissapointing numbers from that day too. Aaron said something to do with DO's WB that day and comparing it to a previous tune by them. He is getting back to me to give me more accurate numbers. Im sure he will do the same for you.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Retarding the exhaust cam does exactly dick for power. -3 Intake helps idle and we have found that while peak power doesnt necessarily increase we can get more power at various parts of the powerband.

JR have you verified that this is an HTA71? You bought it new from FP or from someone online? I have the dyno files now so I will compare them. The WB didnt have anything to do with power it was where we were on stock injectors. The other thing to keep in mind is how our dyno is setup for maximum airflow around the car. We have a doorway with a fan, 2 fans in front of the car and 2 fans pulling the air behind the car. I can feel a breeze at the car door. Watching Anthony's video I can see fair amount of EGR action on cars with dumps and THAT DOESNT HELP at all.

Aaron
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:48 PM

Wow I thought this setup would of made alot more power
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

I reread this thread and need to point one thing out, VDR IS NEVER A REPLACEMENT FOR THE REAL THING, EVER.

Between air conditions being less than ideal, the last dyno pulls being done in february during our Ice Age, and then again on a 75* day in a room (as I mentioned) that does not have the same airflow that we do. I agree with Greg, it looks like it needs valvesprings but since Supertech duals also need new valvestem seals my vote is for GSC with Ti retainers

Aaron
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Aaron I know you don't like vdr but properly done, the values it gives are pretty accurate. After I left the dyno, I came home and went to my tuning road and matched the dyno jet numbers for HP and tq within 5 HP/tq.

Side note I do plan on stopping down there sometime and doing a e-85 tune with you.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Retarding the exhaust cam does exactly dick for power. -3 Intake helps idle and we have found that while peak power doesnt necessarily increase we can get more power at various parts of the powerband.

JR have you verified that this is an HTA71? You bought it new from FP or from someone online? I have the dyno files now so I will compare them. The WB didnt have anything to do with power it was where we were on stock injectors. The other thing to keep in mind is how our dyno is setup for maximum airflow around the car. We have a doorway with a fan, 2 fans in front of the car and 2 fans pulling the air behind the car. I can feel a breeze at the car door. Watching Anthony's video I can see fair amount of EGR action on cars with dumps and THAT DOESNT HELP at all.

Aaron
Yes Aaron I got it new from fp. 10.5, HTA wheel, ported and 84mm cover.honestly I'm torn right now with even spending any more money on the engine. The car probably runs the best it ever has, power is there when needed but just disappointing numbers really. I might just hold off and wait for your guys need dyno day since I don't have time and a extra car so u guys can look into it more.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Watching Anthony's video I can see fair amount of EGR action on cars with dumps and THAT DOESNT HELP at all.
Aaron
Interesting. Exhaust is just CO2 and water. Dumping CO2 in a partly enclosed environment will quickly drop O2 levels from 14% acting like a fire extinguisher for horsepower.

Bet it didn't knock at all
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
I would upgrade the wastegate acuator too. The Revolvers and S2's should have been installed straight up.
Actually, the casting of the Revolvers were pretty bad so in many instances they needed to be degreed quite a bit.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I reread this thread and need to point one thing out, VDR IS NEVER A REPLACEMENT FOR THE REAL THING, EVER.

Aaron
LOL, I love Aaron and his honesty!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Watching Anthony's video I can see fair amount of EGR action on cars with dumps and THAT DOESNT HELP at all.

Aaron
The cam timing matches with what I've seen on the Comp280s as well and that's why I was wondering about the timing change. The 280s use 104* centerline where the S2s use 107*. If I set the 280s to a 108 centerline, I pick up about 4% peak power above 6500 RPM but lose about the same below 6000 RPM. I leave them at 104 except for drag racing...sounds like the 104 range works pretty well for overall powerband. I did notice some power loses changing around the exhaust cam, but more so, I noticed there was a higher likelyhood of "knock", either from more noise in a critical area of the timing cycle or it wass causing reversion issues.

As for dumps, simply extending the dump back behind the oil pan on a friends drag civic picked up 80WHP on the dyno and leaned the car way out. Going down the track, there is enough airflow that it's probably not an issue with a short dump, but then the tune would be off.

With regards to the VDR comments, I'm sure you get it, but it's worth putting out there. If you use VDR properly, it can be very consistent...TO IT'S SELF. You definitely can't compare to another dyno though and expect the actual number to be the same, just like any other dyno of a different brand comparision. The curve CAN be the same though. One big issue with VDR though is the end of the chart can give you bad data easily. Depending on when the log catches the data and when you let off, it can give high or low numbers very easily.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It looks to be a 1.5ish psi difference between the dynos. With the S2 straight up and boost the same, they should make more power than the Revolvers everywhere but the lower RPM range IMO.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
It looks to be a 1.5ish psi difference between the dynos. With the S2 straight up and boost the same, they should make more power than the Revolvers everywhere but the lower RPM range IMO.
Thats peak to peak. At the point where they make peak power though the boost is the same.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Something somewhere is wrong...you should be making wayy more power!