Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Dissapointing numbers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AreSTG
did you overlook my post? it's about as much an apples to apples comparison you are going to get.

Same gas, same dyno, same car (Evo8). I had intake, hks 272's, exhaust, and fuel pump/760cc injectors. 30 more hp even though I was on a cat and you are catless.

I was told my car was nothing special from the tuner, average for the mods. I believe that puts your car well below average. Doesn't mean something is wrong with it, but for your question, "are my numbers low" I would say definitely yes.
Thank you for this. So my numbers are definitely low for my mods. Considering it was 5 years ago, the 8 was very near to being new. So that right there probably nets me minus 10-15 at the wheels wouldn't you say?

Thank you for your input.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

He just said "put a 9 turbo on because your 9.8 hotside is holding you back.." (

this...

coming from an R1,you need a bigger turbo if you are looking for a fast car.the EVO is not really what i would call a fast car in stock or even close to stock form.

you were hoping for 295 and you got 267.that isn't much of a difference.25whp in a 3500lb car is not much.i'm betting that if you get the 295whp you won't feel a difference anyway.get a 9 turbo or even something bigger and you will be happy.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
time to bring it to fftec
Old Sep 2, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It could be a weak wastegate actuator.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

You are missing the biggest variable in this whole analysis. What were the baseline numbers on your Evo? If you don't have baseline for you car then what does a stock Evo 8 typically put out on this particular dyno? Forget the low numbers....what is the difference of before and after. Once this is done then you can look back and see what step to take next as far as mods or maintenance.

I have seen a Evo 9 with an intake, mini battery 3-port and fuel pump (everything else stock) make 265 whp. Sounds low right? Well I found out that a stock Evo 9 puts our between 205-215 whp. Thats a minimum of 50whp difference.

On another note, I haven't seen too many stellar results with S1 cams or the Threadstone IC.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masonh
this...

coming from an R1,you need a bigger turbo if you are looking for a fast car.the EVO is not really what i would call a fast car in stock or even close to stock form.

you were hoping for 295 and you got 267.that isn't much of a difference.25whp in a 3500lb car is not much.i'm betting that if you get the 295whp you won't feel a difference anyway.get a 9 turbo or even something bigger and you will be happy.
Your advice is a bit contradictory.. Here's how: the claim that the difference between 267 & 295 WHP will not be really felt - the cure to the OP's low numbers is a 9 turbo. In the massive amount of dyno runs covered in multiple threads on various setups it has been shown that simply swapping out an 8 turbo for a 9 turbo only nets a gain of 20-25 WHP at the same boost level. Is it felt? Yes. Is it worth it? For the money, yes, but ultimate goals need to be considered if the 9 turbo would be the proper turbo for the desired power level.

OP. Stock Evo 8's dyno'd in the neighborhood of about 18-19% power loss from BHP to WHP. So that would put your current power level to 320+ BHP. I wouldn't be too disappointed given your basic bolt-on mods.. that's a 50+ HP bump from stock.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

i made 356 389 tq on a mustang dyno at like 27 psi i had all boltons no cams stock block and head

i have a 9 though
Old Sep 3, 2012, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Your advice is a bit contradictory.. Here's how: the claim that the difference between 267 & 295 WHP will not be really felt
no my advice is not contradictory and no it will probably not be felt.

In the massive amount of dyno runs covered in multiple threads on various setups it has been shown that simply swapping out an 8 turbo for a 9 turbo only nets a gain of 20-25 WHP at the same boost level.
i told him to "get a 9 or BIGGER turbo" and i never said to run the 9 turbo at the same boost.that would be ignorant if you were trying to make more power.obviously if you want more power run more boost.and yes the 9 turbo is capable of more boost and more power than the 8 turbo.it's a bigger,better turbo and everyone here knows it will make more power than the 8 turbo,except maybe you.come on man.

go nit-pick somewhere else.i'm trying to help the guy out.

Is it felt? Yes. Is it worth it? For the money, yes,
25whp is not much and i know i couldn't feel it,maybe you could.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

ill just leave this here

http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...18170148310880
Old Sep 4, 2012, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by masonh
this...

I'm digging the optimism, I plan to swap turbo's and keep you posted.

Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx
time to bring it to fftec
Though I don't mind paying for a quality tune, just curious how much in total a tune is from there?

Originally Posted by batty200
It could be a weak wastegate actuator.
That's really what I'm hoping. Only time will tell, after I swap turbo's I will obviously swap WGA too. I'm really hoping my numbers sky rocket due to it being a WGA malfunction

Originally Posted by evolutionxtac
You are missing the biggest variable in this whole analysis. What were the baseline numbers on your Evo? If you don't have baseline for you car then what does a stock Evo 8 typically put out on this particular dyno? Forget the low numbers....what is the difference of before and after. Once this is done then you can look back and see what step to take next as far as mods or maintenance.

I have seen a Evo 9 with an intake, mini battery 3-port and fuel pump (everything else stock) make 265 whp. Sounds low right? Well I found out that a stock Evo 9 puts our between 205-215 whp. Thats a minimum of 50whp difference.

On another note, I haven't seen too many stellar results with S1 cams or the Threadstone IC.
Unfortunately I bought it used and didn't run a baseline before cam install. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have gotten a base. Rule of thumb is stock evo's run like 235 whp I believe on this mustang dyno.

Also, the tune was BEFORE the fmic so that couldn't be the issue.. Everyone who I talked to about the S1's loves the power right out of the box while leaving the stock valve-train.

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
Your advice is a bit contradictory.. Here's how: the claim that the difference between 267 & 295 WHP will not be really felt - the cure to the OP's low numbers is a 9 turbo. In the massive amount of dyno runs covered in multiple threads on various setups it has been shown that simply swapping out an 8 turbo for a 9 turbo only nets a gain of 20-25 WHP at the same boost level. Is it felt? Yes. Is it worth it? For the money, yes, but ultimate goals need to be considered if the 9 turbo would be the proper turbo for the desired power level.

OP. Stock Evo 8's dyno'd in the neighborhood of about 18-19% power loss from BHP to WHP. So that would put your current power level to 320+ BHP. I wouldn't be too disappointed given your basic bolt-on mods.. that's a 50+ HP bump from stock.
This put a smile on my face.

Originally Posted by Evostacio

Yeah I went to my tuner because I read he was good on this forum. I'm not sure it was his fault, someone PM'd me and said they got 295 at the wheels from similar mods from the same tuner/same dyno.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

I really appreciate all of the responses guys.

After considering everything, my plan is to do a compression check followed by a meticulous boost leak test, injectors/turbo swap/e 85 tune.

My fear is that I am throwing a band-aid on a larger problem and that no matter what I do, I will always be 10 % under-powered.

Only time will tell. Always open to more opinions.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hermin0000
Yeah I went to my tuner because I read he was good on this forum. I'm not sure it was his fault, someone PM'd me and said they got 295 at the wheels from similar mods from the same tuner/same dyno.
hey man, just in case that is in reference to me. Just wanted to make sure it was out there, my tuner at the time was Bryan, who no longer tunes the masses.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AreSTG
hey man, just in case that is in reference to me. Just wanted to make sure it was out there, my tuner at the time was Bryan, who no longer tunes the masses.
ahh ok thank you for the clarification
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Update

UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO CARE

Ok so here's what I did since my OP.

- Compression Test 125/125/130/140 (near %10 difference but nothing to be worried about I think)
- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOST LEAKS

- Swapped out stock turbo for a fp hta 71(white)
- Megan 02 housing
- Turbosmart 22 psi WGA
- Treadstone 3.5" Intercooler
- fftec EBCS
- Switched Tuner (sean @ fftec)

I saw a 50 whp gain (mustang dyno) from the above (still on CA pump 91).

So now I sit at 315/305 on a mustang dyno. Still (I feel) about 30-40 whp under where I should be at.

HERE'S WHAT I THINK MY PROBLEM IS, TELL ME IF I'M FAR OFF:

Problem For The First Time Around (OP):
- I believe what was wrong the first time around was a S&*TTY TUNER. He had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and his tuned sucked *****.

Current Problems:

- Injen LICP connects like crap to my intercooler. Almost impossible to explain, but basically the elbow coupler reducer and LICP bends to create a small scoop internally. The Injen LICP sucks to begin with I am figuring out, and this internal scoop that is restricting flow isn't helping any.
(8-10whp loss)

- ****ty California 91 gas? I am going in to get tuned for E85 on Friday, I will post results when I have them.

- Possibly losing power due to semi low compression in cylinders 1 and 2? (125/125/130/140)
(10-20 whp loss)

- Still on stock exhaust manifold.
(10 whp loss)

So all said, if I switch these parts I think I will be right around where I should be.

Please let me know if you agree or disagree with my diagnosis and more importantly WHY. Thanks.

PICTURE OF NEW MUSTANG DYNO GRAPH POSTED BELOW
Attached Thumbnails Dissapointing numbers-new-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by hermin0000; Dec 6, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

you took your Evo to a Subaru shop, that's your problem... head over to FFTEC

Quick Reply: Dissapointing numbers