Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo 8 stock turbo 93oct gsc s3 vs stock cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
its very possible yes.

when i switch from kelford to these on my car i was confused. normally you would expect a bigger cam to drive worse and have sloppy characteristics in general.. these drive better then anything ive ever driven on before.

these are the smallest but biggest cams for an evo. meaning they drive like stock cams or better, but hit hard uptop like big cams. i expected to see loss of spool downlow though. its very interesting there was no loss.

i seen that. people think they are to big for the evo and valvetrain. certainly not true. the only thing these do that i do not like is tend to cause false knock, but its not hard to eliminate that. i just do a very conservative tune on the car that i know 100% wont knock, then adjust it from there. we had it at around 19psi still making around 360whp.

Thanks B.J!

Ya when you change compression & engine in general, its really not a fair comparison anymore in your case. but it would still be interesting to see.

s2's are good. $280 is a steal. i wouldnt feel bad. just make sure they are the newer higher lift s2's.

if you want we can smooth the idle out a bit more. i dont know how you want the car to idle. the warming up part i might be able to take care of with maf tables is the afr normal when its warming up or lean?
well after watching your car idle (youtube video) and aarons from English racing (youtube video aswell) my car is pretty much identical as far as how it idles. im happy with the way it runs so no need to work on it. i've just been keeping a tiny bit of pressure on the gas pedal to raise it to 1,600rpm and it warms up in around 3-4 mins.

Thanks again man, i RAPED an 2012 Porsche Carrera 4S tonight from a roll. i dont usually brag, but when u put 10 cars on a new carrera it feels pretty good lol.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Great results! Congrats on a super fun car!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:47 PM

Nice numbers!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

It is definitely interesting that there was no loss in power down low going to S3s with the stock turbo but some loss with the bigger 6266 setup. S3s are definitely very DD friendly from the results seen so far!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
it is very interesting. i just did another car on stock turbo but it has speed density and a 3 port only. it made 380whp though. 93oct s2 cams.

here is the comparison between s2 vs s3. keep in mind these are two separate cars in two separate states with different weather climates.
(ones from Alabama ones from Florida - both hot right now 60-70F states)

the interesting thing is look at the spool it aligns identical between both cars when overlayed.

Specs on car being compared:

2003 Evo 8

stock block
stock turbo (9.8 hotside)
GSC beehive springs & S2 cams
MAP ported stock IM and TB
ETS 3" FMIC short route
Tial Q-BOV
FIC 1100s hi-z
Walbro 255
Spoolin Up COP
3" turbo back
Omni 4 bar
Grimmspeed 3 port
ACT Xtreme pp with sprung street disk (565ft/lbs rated) stock flywheel
Snow meth kit with 375ml/mn nozzle & progressive controller (not being used)
3" intake <-- very restrictive for speed density intake
tephra v7 SD

keeping in mind these are two separate cars. however one will feel completely different then the other past 6800RPM due to the dropoff
in power on the s2's. the turbo is a restricted 9.8 hotside on that car though which can be the cause of that not the cams. im sure the cams
are helping though.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
well after watching your car idle (youtube video) and aarons from English racing (youtube video aswell) my car is pretty much identical as far as how it idles. im happy with the way it runs so no need to work on it. i've just been keeping a tiny bit of pressure on the gas pedal to raise it to 1,600rpm and it warms up in around 3-4 mins.

Thanks again man, i RAPED an 2012 Porsche Carrera 4S tonight from a roll. i dont usually brag, but when u put 10 cars on a new carrera it feels pretty good lol.
good kill. that is a baby Porsche though

ours have a bit quicker lope then your video. that's why i asked if you want me to raise idle a bit and timing to smooth it out more. but its fine if you're good with it. some people get angry at me when i remove the lope.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

the turbo is a restricted 9.8 hotside on that car though which can be the cause of that not the cams. im sure the cams
are helping though.
Definitely. When I temporarily switched back to the stock 8 turbo with the 9.8 hotside, power would drastically fall off past 6500. It just could not keep up. I wonder how much the MAF setup is holding back the S3 car though as the S3s seem to pickup after about 5k from the results that you've been posting so far.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

good kill. that is a baby Porsche though

ours have a bit quicker lope then your video. that's why i asked if you want me to raise idle a bit and timing to smooth it out more. but its fine if you're good with it. some people get angry at me when i remove the lope.
that video was taken the night after the cams were installed. since u tuned it, it lopes at a fast rate like yours does. ill get another video up tonight of the current idle. i just love how people look over at my wingless completely oem evo 8 and do a double take when they hear that nasty lope lol.

baby porsche or not the look on peoples faces when i fly past is priceless, i am feinding for an fp black and speed density intake. I've seen people gain 10whp just from switching to SD so it would definitely help my setup.

that dyno overlay is pretty cool to see, it just makes me even happier that i went with the s3's.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

that video was taken the night after the cams were installed. since u tuned it, it lopes at a fast rate like yours does. ill get another video up tonight of the current idle.
Please do share the video of current idle after being tuned. I am strongly considering the S3s myself.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Now I'm thinking maybe I should go with S3's instead of S2's since I plan on going to an EF3 or bigger turbo and a 2.3L in the near future... I basically have full bolt ons except IM and TB. I'm on a 9 turbo I'm porting.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Impressive numbers and powerband, especially considering such big cams on the stocker.
Excellent work.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good power gains over stock cams. Thanks for doing the test between the two different cams
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanguru
Definitely. When I temporarily switched back to the stock 8 turbo with the 9.8 hotside, power would drastically fall off past 6500. It just could not keep up. I wonder how much the MAF setup is holding back the S3 car though as the S3s seem to pickup after about 5k from the results that you've been posting so far.
Im not sure. but its inbetween 10-20whp with a 4" pipe & big filter like the ones i sell for the sd conversion. good to know about the 9.8 hotside. i did not know it was that drastic of a difference.

that video was taken the night after the cams were installed. since u tuned it, it lopes at a fast rate like yours does. ill get another video up tonight of the current idle. i just love how people look over at my wingless completely oem evo 8 and do a double take when they hear that nasty lope lol.

baby porsche or not the look on peoples faces when i fly past is priceless, i am feinding for an fp black and speed density intake. I've seen people gain 10whp just from switching to SD so it would definitely help my setup.

that dyno overlay is pretty cool to see, it just makes me even happier that i went with the s3's.
ya im sure the Porsche guy got a bit confused. the fp black is super fun. ive been on a fp black for the past 3 years and never got bored of it. The gains come from the intake pipe being used. the pipe i sell is a full 4" pipe with a big K&N filter. we seen gains of 20whp~ with it over MAF when pushing a fp black hard.

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Now I'm thinking maybe I should go with S3's instead of S2's since I plan on going to an EF3 or bigger turbo and a 2.3L in the near future... I basically have full bolt ons except IM and TB. I'm on a 9 turbo I'm porting.
If you ordered the s2 from me we can switch the order to s3. i would highly suggest so because you just said 2.3L.

Originally Posted by slimjim1804
Impressive numbers and powerband, especially considering such big cams on the stocker.
Excellent work.
thanks!

Originally Posted by whiteEvo08Y
Good power gains over stock cams. Thanks for doing the test between the two different cams
no problem!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:09 PM

Thats my Evo 8 with the S2s in the dyno. Tom did a great job with the tune. Im very pleased with it so far.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Well I was also running the stock O2 housing with the 9.8, so I am sure that was hurting the power output significantly. Can't wait to get my S3s though!

Quick Reply: evo 8 stock turbo 93oct gsc s3 vs stock cams