Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

PTE 6766 vs. FP 3794 - 5 different boost levels - Boostin Performance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you look at the time stamps on the Facebook graphs and the ones he posted here, they ARE the same graphs. It appears that the Facebook graphs are about 12.4% higher than those posted in this thread.

The logical guess is that the dyno shop that Boostin went to for testing has altered their mustang dyno's parameters to show results closer to a dynojet. Boostin probably asked the shop to give them their results with the default parameters for the mustang dyno for their true testing results. There are a bunch of mustang dyno shops that alter their parameters to match dynojet results these days so its not that far fetched of a guess.

-Jamie

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
If you look at the time stamps on the Facebook graphs and the ones he posted here, they ARE the same graphs. It appears that the Facebook graphs are about 13% higher than those posted in this thread.

The logical guess is that the dyno shop that Boostin went to for testing has altered their mustang dyno's parameters to show results closer to a dynojet. Boostin probably asked the shop to give them their results with the default parameters for the mustang dyno for their true testing results. There are a bunch of mustang dyno shops that alter their parameters to match dynojet results these days so its not that far fetched of a guess.

-Jamie
That is a reasonable explanation.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

After further inspection it appears the Facebook graphs were weather corrected and the graphs on here are uncorrected. Either the elevation of the facility is extremely high and the weather correction shouldn't have been used if it was over the SAE's recommended +/-10% accuracy limit or the heat from his exhaust system skewed the results a LOT.

Either that or the shop sets the uncorrected values as mustang results and sets the weather correction parameters to preset values to just multiply the results by 1.124 to simulate a dynojet compared to their mustang results. Devin does a lot of virtual dyno results in dynojet mode so maybe he just sets it that way to keep his tuning results between the simulator and the dyno more consistent for comparison. I'm sure Devin can give the explanation though.

-Jamie

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Jan 16, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome that 2 turbos that size can even hit 900whp.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so basically the 3794 will make a little more power but 6766 will spool a little faster... interesting.. thanks for the great results
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone ran the 6766 on a 2.4? So far haven't found anything.

Pretty excited to run it on my setup based on these conclusions.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So glad I found this comparison
Thanks a lot for the time and post
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
Anyone ran the 6766 on a 2.4? So far haven't found anything.

Pretty excited to run it on my setup based on these conclusions.
Don't you have an EFR9180 coming? Stuff has potential to get REALLY interesting when those arrive, I reckon there is a good chance they'll make this game more interesting and I know people have been taking delivery of them of late so numbers should start coming out soon.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your questions and comments. I have been completely consumed with taking care of customer cars, and any extra time I've had has been spent looking for a new/bigger shop space for BP. Thanks for being patient.

Originally Posted by MrLith
I am assuming the GT3794R required fuel to be added at every boost level, did the amount that needed to be added at >50psi boost dive compared to the lower pressure ratios?

Speaks volumes for both your ability to put something together, and advances in turbo technology etc in recent years - not least your generosity in sharing these findings!!

PS. On your Facebook page you posted results of these turbos making >1000hp - here they are only just over 900... what am I missing here?
I kept target AFR the same, so yes some fuel needed to be added up top for the 3794

Thanks, and it was my pleasure.

It was a BS weather correction. It's not my dyno and when I pointed out that the weather correction was adding HP on a 50 deg day they told me, "thats what its suppose to be". I elected to post the uncorrected #'s which should be on par with the Mustang dynos @ Dynotech / STM / Buschur / CBRD / ect.

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Josh you need to track down a 1.15 T4 for your car.

Interesting data, the 3794 may have been on the wrong side of the choke line as well at 55psi because it didnt hold it for very long. It definitely seemed happier at 52psi.

Aaron
I think both turbo's were held back by their turbine housings, but they are the biggest that can be mated to a T3 manifold. If you look @ PTE, they have class legal turbo's that are restricted to 67mm compressor wheels just like the 6766, but have huge turbine housings/wheels and make way more power than a 6766. Check out the 6785 everyone.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turboc...class-legal/34

Last edited by Boostin Perform; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Well its the 60% rule on spool so a 1.00 will act like a 0.60 where a 1.15 acts like a 0.69 A/r single housing. The advantage is out the top where it acts 90% of its size vs power.
good info!

Curious on the 55psi dyno #'s too. I wouldn't have even caught the 100ish whp difference between the Facebook post and this test if it hadn't been mentioned. I'm just curious which was the actual result.

Great test BTW, been looking forward to this release since you guys mentioned it on your FB page Very well done.

Could you compare the air temp readings for each turbo at each boost level? It may help to show how steeply the turbos Efficency drops as you exceed certain levels.

-Jamie
For the FP vs. PTE test I guess it would not have mattered if the weather correction was there as long as it was being used for the results on both turbo's. I elected to post the lower numbers because they were without a correction factor that I thought was incorrect.

The air temp comparison would be a great idea. I'll try and get some of that info up for you guys soon.

Originally Posted by MrLith
I'm pretty obsessive about #s at the best of times, and the >1000whp on a T3 turbo definitely got me all excited so I was going to notice if something changed . Another thing that got my attention is in the test it states he used E70, whereas going from previous posts about racing and tuning as either E85 (using E98 + C16 to custom blend) or straight E98 as a fuel - can't help but wonder what kind of difference that results in.
Dont get stuck on a #. If you want 1000 hp, you can take your 920 hp car (Mustang dyno) and put it on a dynojet. The Demon would be right @ 1000 hp on a dynojet. I use E70 because I basically need more injector. Its E98 that I blend down with racing fuel. I would like to get a twin fuel rail setup on the car with 4 more injectors. When I go to a FF T4 manifold I'll have to upgrade then for sure.

Last edited by Boostin Perform; Jan 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the dyno clarification, good for you for catching it and not letting that incompetent dyno operator skew your awesome testing results

The 6766 offers a T4 twin-scroll 1.32 A/R housing that we use on Tyler's Drag evo. The spoolup doesn't suffer much since it basically emulates a .80 A/R single scroll at spoolup but it flows like a 1.19 A/R single up top. Grant at PTE really pushed us to try it and we are glad we did. I think it's minimal back pressure is what allowed us to achieve 830whp@44psi on his unported head.

I personally think the 6766 and 3794 are the biggest turbos that ever should be used on a 2.0L to still offer a useable powerband for most setups. Unless you want to rev to 12k rpm at over 1000-1100whp and go through bearings like they are candy.
-Jamie

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Jan 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great work BP.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the dyno clarification, good for you for catching it and not letting that incompetent dyno operator skew your awesome testing results

The 6766 offers a twin-scroll 1.32 A/R housing that we use on Tyler's Drag evo. The spoolup doesn't suffer much since it basically emulates a .80 A/R single scroll at spoolup but it flows like a 1.19 A/R single up top. Grant at PTE really pushed us to try it and we are glad we did. I think it's minimal back pressure is what allowed us to achieve 830whp@44psi on his unported head.

I personally think the 6766 and 3794 are the biggest turbos that ever should be used on a 2.0L to still offer a useable powerband for most setups. Unless you want to rev to 12k rpm at over 1000-1100whp and go through bearings like they are candy.
-Jamie

I would agree - Grant's advice paid off. The 1.32 twin scroll housing is perfect for the 6766.

Without a dogbox, a turbo bigger than a 6766 or a 3794 would not be usable at all. When you step it up to something bigger, a dogbox is necessary so you can shift @ 9500+ rpm and make use of the powerband. When it comes to the bearings, that's where aluminum rods come into play. Less weight = less wear on the bearings. There are also many downfalls with the stock Mitsu oiling system that can be improved upon as well. I reved my car to 10K last year because of the final drive I had, without any bearing issues. The main limiting factor I believe is the OEM gearset syncro based trans.

Originally Posted by apagan01
Great work BP.
Thanks

Last edited by Boostin Perform; Jan 26, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

cool comparison! now we need a 6266 vs hta 3586r
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

More like 6266 vs 3786r.

Quick Reply: PTE 6766 vs. FP 3794 - 5 different boost levels - Boostin Performance