Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Lamar's lightly modded Evo 8 - Stock turbo S2 Stock injectors 93oct

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Lamar's lightly modded Evo 8 - Stock turbo S2 Stock injectors 93oct

This particular customer came in for valve springs and cam installation and along the way we found
a big surprise.

This scheduled performance upgrades and tuning basically saved this customer from having huge a
catastrophic failure. Prior to getting the engine ready to do the valve springs and cams install, we set the engine
to TDC. While at TDC, we noticed odd wear markings on the timing belt. Further inspecting the timing belt
by rotating the engine, we found a track of damage which led up to a slice through the timing belt.

After further investigation, we noticed a decent size hole in the lower timing belt cover. Upon removing the
cover, out came a large metal shroud which most certainly was part of the reason the timing belt was all
sliced up and ready to break.

Of course the labor had to change at this point. After fully inspecting the belt we both agreed it is not
safe at all to even attempt to fire the vehicle up again with this belt. I had Evo IX Kevlar belts in stock at
the shop, so we installed that. The old timing job had improper tension as well, so we reset the tension
back in spec.

Lamar did not have all the funds to pay for the tuning, cam install and springs with him, so I did what I
thought was the right thing. I assisted in allowing Lamar to borrow the money from me to get his belt swapped
and perform the rest of the labor as well, since I wanted to have him leave with a perfectly healthy car.

Lamar wanted to learn so I had him watch me and even assist me a little bit on some things. He was a very
nice worker, and I also took him out to get some food afterwords to thank him for the extra hand he gave.

The mods on Lamars car are quite basic, but he will be adding more in the near future with us.
For now heres what a good tune can do in 80F with stock injectors and upgraded fuel pump on stock turbo
on 93 octane fuel.

Prior tuner had knock sensor disabled and the vehicle was running excessive amounts of timing and still knocking.
I cant stress enough how important it is to stick to a specialized Evo tuner only for your Evo's. These cars take a significantly
different tuning strategy vs most all other platforms!

Mods are:

Stock block /w 90K~
Stock turbo
GSC S2 cams / GSC springs
Buschur Street FMIC
Buschur catback exhaust /w restrictive 2.5" apexi downpipe
Buschur intercooler piping
Buschur 3" intake /w HKS suction filter
Stock injectors
Walbro 255
Tial Q BOV
Tephra V7 speed density /w ecuboost

Graph:

Picture of car:

Pictures of the surprises we found:

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Aby@MIL.SPEC (Jul 13, 2017)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
You the man Tom, great chatting with you last night, cust should really enjoy his car now
The following users liked this post:
tscompusa (Jul 13, 2017)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Luke
Old Jul 13, 2017, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow, that's what I call "customer service"
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If more shops and techs were like you the world would be a much better place. Mad respect to you man
Old Jul 21, 2017, 03:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words. I'm in the process of moving into a large facility soon and will finally have a dyno for those in the area.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words. I'm in the process of moving into a large facility soon and will finally have a dyno for those in the area.
Congrats Tom! Looks like your operation is progressing nicely. All from the results of hard work and an excellent product. What kind of dyno are you looking into a MD500?
Keep us posted.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 05:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Why does the stock turbo seem so laggy in that graph?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Maybe VD? Or keeping the tq coming in a lil later for the 90k mile stock block.? Maybe Wastegate related?

Guessing with Toms pre tune rituals it isn't a boost leak

But Tom and yourself would know better and have far more reasoning than me so... haha
Old Jul 22, 2017, 03:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Probably a lazy wastegate preload from what I see when overlaying it with other stock turbo cars I did.

We did a visual inspection on this car only. Found EGR line off, no zip ties on any FPR lines, etc. Me and Lamar decided against the boost leak test since we were running out of time.

Its 20psi by 3600RPM
Old Nov 18, 2017, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa

Lamar did not have all the funds to pay for the tuning, cam install and springs with him, so I did what I
thought was the right thing. I assisted in allowing Lamar to borrow the money from me to get his belt swapped
and perform the rest of the labor as well, since I wanted to have him leave with a perfectly healthy car.

Lamar wanted to learn so I had him watch me and even assist me a little bit on some things. He was a very
nice worker, and I also took him out to get some food afterwords to thank him for the extra hand he gave.
Larmar is one very lucky guy having you find the damaged belt prior to tuning & for your generous financial gesture. That's incredible customer service Tom & I have to say I'm very impressed mate, well done.