Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Revhappy's FP HTA71 GSC S2 Cams 93 and E85

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Revhappy's FP HTA71 GSC S2 Cams 93 and E85

Below are my mods and results. The raw figure dyno results without smoothing were 342 WHP on 93 and 380 WHP on E85 (CBRD Mustang dyno). The smoothed values were 337 WHP & 303 WTQ on 93 and 371 WHP and 333 WTQ on E85. Temperature was 92 degrees with extremely high humidity. Mods and dyno chart are below.

2003 Evo VIII - 58,000 miles
Stock Block
Buschur 3" Turboback Exhaust (High Flow Cat and Magnaflow Muffler)
GSC S2 cams
Buschur Racing Front Mount Intercooler (1st Generation)
Buschur Upper and Lower Intercooler Pipes
Buschur Mini-Battery
CBRD Cone Air Filter
Forced Performance Intake
DW300 Fuel Pump
Grimspeed 3 Port EBC
Tial QRJ Diverter Valve
FP HTA 71
Turbosmart 18 PSI WGA
IDC 1300 Fuel Injectors
ARP head Studs
MAF Tune on 93 and E85 by CBRD

I originally bought my Evo VIII in 2003, During the first two years I owned it, I added the following mods:

Buschur 3" Turboback Exhaust (High Flow Cat and Magnaflow Muffler)
HKS 264 cams
Buschur Racing Front Mount Intercooler (1st Generation)
Buschur Upper and Lower Intercooler Pipes
Buschur Mini-Battery
Buschur Cone Air Filter
Buschur Intake
Walbro Fuel Pump
Hallman MBC
DSM Crushed BOV (subsequently changed to Greddy Type S)
94 Octane Tune

This set up yielded 328 WHP and 334 WTQ on the Pruven Performance Dynojet dyno with a temperature of around 60 degrees.

After a number of years, I finally started exploring options. When several local shops blew me off, I decided to go to CBRD. I was very impressed with CBRD's knowledge, their facility, quality of work, and customer service. They diagnosed a fixed a bunch of issues I never knew about. Additionally, the car doesn't feel like a "tuner" car except for some slight hesitation on start up from the DW300 fuel pump (CBRD pointed this out to me).

My best guess is my prior set up would dyno around 268 WHP on the CBRD Mustang dyno (subtracting 12% for the dyno differences and another 20 WHP for the 30 plus degree temperature difference). On pump gas, that would give me about a 70 WHP gain. E85 gave me over 100 WHP using these assumptions on the new setup. I plan to exclusively drive the car on E85 except during winter when I hardly take the car out.

I think I may have been able to safely squeeze some more power if I upgraded my O2 housing, hotside, exhaust manifold and possibly my old Buschur intercooler. Also, using a high flow cat instead of a test pipe cost me some power, but I didn't want to go down that road.

The car pulls much harder now. It seems like I hit redline almost immediately now as the car revs so fast.

Last edited by revhappy; Oct 23, 2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Honest HP on a mustang, probably where id go one day
Old Oct 24, 2017, 04:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
What was the boost at for these runs? Also I'm curious what your injector duty cycle was for E85 on those ID1300s as I just picked up a set myself and am running a 71HTA. Also is this on a 9.8 or 10.5 hotside?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
What was the boost at for these runs? Also I'm curious what your injector duty cycle was for E85 on those ID1300s as I just picked up a set myself and am running a 71HTA. Also is this on a 9.8 or 10.5 hotside?
29 PSI peak for E85 and 25 PSI peak for 93. This has the 9.8 hotside which I think hurt my top end and peak power a bit.

As for the injectors, CBRD recommended these (I had originally planned on FIC 1450). While I'm not sure of the duty cycle, I'm confident they are appropriate.
The following users liked this post:
V.8MR (Oct 26, 2017)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy crap - throwback to Pruven performance lol. That was back in the day homes. Big Al dynoflash, TruboTrix...our platform and community has come a long way hasn't it?

Anyway, its nice to see a CBRD dyno graph. They sort of dropped off the map (at least on the forum anyway). I know they're still around, and still definitely one of the best. Their MD is as accurate and consistent of a measure as you can get.

Great setup...one of the best turbos (if not the best), in terms of value and performance in its category of stock-like powerband. Even more interesting that its with a 9.8. What's your O2 housing setup? You make it sound like its OEM? They make a big impact on upgraded stock frame turbos. I'm fighting some creep-like activity with my green and an O2 dump. Not exactly creeping but holding too much up top, overspinning and basically blowing hot *** air - and I run 93 only. Turbine housing porting can also play a role since the WG ports can be ported out a bit. 10.5 units are pretty hard to come by now though. They are sought by anyone running an FP turbo since they're preferred over their new SS housings.

I bet you could gain quite a but even just working with what you have, porting existing housing including the WG port, and adding in an O2 housing. CBRD used to make an O2/DP combo that was pretty bad ***. It was pretty much an oversized housing - which probably wouldn't negatively affect your spool if you stick with a 9.8 - and will flow like nobody's business.

Anyway, enjoy it for now. Looks like it would be a blast on the street. So if it feels good and runs right, you might just want to leave is as is. There's always gonna be a bottleneck. Free one up just to expose the next one. Enjoy the drive
Old Nov 1, 2017, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
Holy crap - throwback to Pruven performance lol. That was back in the day homes. Big Al dynoflash, TruboTrix...our platform and community has come a long way hasn't it?

Anyway, its nice to see a CBRD dyno graph. They sort of dropped off the map (at least on the forum anyway). I know they're still around, and still definitely one of the best. Their MD is as accurate and consistent of a measure as you can get.

Great setup...one of the best turbos (if not the best), in terms of value and performance in its category of stock-like powerband. Even more interesting that its with a 9.8. What's your O2 housing setup? You make it sound like its OEM? They make a big impact on upgraded stock frame turbos. I'm fighting some creep-like activity with my green and an O2 dump. Not exactly creeping but holding too much up top, overspinning and basically blowing hot *** air - and I run 93 only. Turbine housing porting can also play a role since the WG ports can be ported out a bit. 10.5 units are pretty hard to come by now though. They are sought by anyone running an FP turbo since they're preferred over their new SS housings.

I bet you could gain quite a but even just working with what you have, porting existing housing including the WG port, and adding in an O2 housing. CBRD used to make an O2/DP combo that was pretty bad ***. It was pretty much an oversized housing - which probably wouldn't negatively affect your spool if you stick with a 9.8 - and will flow like nobody's business.

Anyway, enjoy it for now. Looks like it would be a blast on the street. So if it feels good and runs right, you might just want to leave is as is. There's always gonna be a bottleneck. Free one up just to expose the next one. Enjoy the drive
Yes, my car was previously tuned by Dynoflash back in 2005. I stopped keeping up with stuff after the White Rabbit came out and flopped. At that point, I figured the only option was to go with an expensive big turbo kit and more lag. In 2015, I started coming back to the forums and was shocked to see all the stock frame turbos, better cams, E85, etc.

I am running stock O2 housing and stock exhaust manifold. I was concerned about reliability issues with aftermarket ones and thought I might hit the torque safety limit with the GSC S2 cams, E85 and FP HTA71 (had not seen any set ups with this). Probably should have added those, but not sure if the gain (considering I'm not wanting to go over 350 WTQ on a Mustang dyno) would be worth the cost.

It was 92 degrees and very humid that day so that may have pushed the numbers down a bit.

CBRD was awesome. Complete night and day from the shops I previously dealt with.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a sweet looking sheet.

I think my Synchronic diverter is bucking and popping so i'm probably just going to go with the Tial QRJ on CBRD's recommendation.