Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Dyno tune tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dyno tune tomorrow

Hey guys. I’m not really in here often but figured I’d post up. Finally set up a date with my tuner, so the evo is going on the rollers tomorrow. Before it hits the rollers gonna be installing the new fuel pump and injectors along with a boost leak test.

I've heard really good things about throwing e85 in the evo but I’m still iffy about it... here are some of the details if you wanna take a stab at the numbers

Mustang Dyno
dual tune 93/e85

mod list
walbro 450 Fuel pump
FIC 1650cc Injectors
megan 3” exhaust
MAP 02 Housing
intake (not sure of brand, on the car when I purchased it)
evo 9 DV
ets intercooler 3.5
ets short route uicp
ets licp
ets mini battery kit
grimmspeed 3 port boost controller
exedy twin disk clutch
stock motor/head

i think that’s it off top of my head.
i have everything I need to to throw the fp black on but I wanna see what I can do with this stock turbo first. My 1/8 pass so far is only an 8.20 but the clutch was slipping.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Excellent

Thanks for posting up. Make sure you post up a graph when complete. Looking fwd to it

Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Is your stock turbo with the 10.5? How many miles on your engine? And check your compression to see engine health.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:28 PM

Forgot to mention it’s an 03 with about 145k on the clock. Believe it has the 9.8 on it but not sure. Looks like the previous owner had done work to it and took some things off.

i was gonna do a compression test and leak down but figured I’d be ok this round... Both will Definitely be done before I go through the process of adding the gsc s2 cams and fp black.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

If your shop will remove the head to install springs, consider replacing the valve stems and have shop check valves and guides to make sure all seals are tight.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:40 PM

That’s one reason I waited to do the cams and turbo til a later date. The head is coming off and being sent out and checked over... I’m almost tempted to go ahead and have them port and polish the head while it’s out... just depends on the extra cost. Right now my budget is mainly around my house and getting it ready to sell. But hopefully sometime this summer I’ll have the new setup in
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

You should still do compression test before tune. It's easy enough to do.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 07:51 AM

So as my luck goes. We got stopped before it even got a chance to hit the rollers :/ they got the new injectors and the boost leak test done but when they tried to take out the fuel pump they end up breaking a stud because it was so rusted... (it is after this that I was able to get back up there after dropping the car off earlier that am) I was told that they could live with that but if one more messed up then they were gonna stop and wouldn’t use that tank anymore. So he next 4 came off easily after they had sprayed lube on them... but the last damn one, the nut and stud were both spinning :/ so they ask me what I wanted to do... they only buy new parts and we’re gonna charge me 700$. Well me already thinking this convo was about to take place I called the guy I bought my car from who owns a salvage yard full of dsm/evo/Subi/srt4. Luckily he had 1 in good shape... I’m not sure of what all is in an evo gas tank but the price jumped 100$ for the transfer pump. Not sure what else was left in it.... so now I have a set budget for the car and just blew almost half of it on buying another gas tank :/ then it’s gonna be another 3-4 hours of labor so that will pretty much take up my budget and some. So either the car will sit there until i get a Lil extra cash to get it tuned or I’ll have to go pick it up and bring it home. Then tow it back.....

needless to say I really don’t have the greatest luck with cars much less this evo. I’ve had it a year now and I’m getting to a point I want to sell it, but I know they have potential and I’d really like to see it through
Old Apr 17, 2018, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jbundrick
So as my luck goes. We got stopped before it even got a chance to hit the rollers :/ they got the new injectors and the boost leak test done but when they tried to take out the fuel pump they end up breaking a stud because it was so rusted... (it is after this that I was able to get back up there after dropping the car off earlier that am) I was told that they could live with that but if one more messed up then they were gonna stop and wouldn’t use that tank anymore. So he next 4 came off easily after they had sprayed lube on them... but the last damn one, the nut and stud were both spinning :/ so they ask me what I wanted to do... they only buy new parts and we’re gonna charge me 700$. Well me already thinking this convo was about to take place I called the guy I bought my car from who owns a salvage yard full of dsm/evo/Subi/srt4. Luckily he had 1 in good shape... I’m not sure of what all is in an evo gas tank but the price jumped 100$ for the transfer pump. Not sure what else was left in it.... so now I have a set budget for the car and just blew almost half of it on buying another gas tank :/ then it’s gonna be another 3-4 hours of labor so that will pretty much take up my budget and some. So either the car will sit there until i get a Lil extra cash to get it tuned or I’ll have to go pick it up and bring it home. Then tow it back.....

needless to say I really don’t have the greatest luck with cars much less this evo. I’ve had it a year now and I’m getting to a point I want to sell it, but I know they have potential and I’d really like to see it through
A lot of people have been in your shoes when it comes to building cars. We try to plan for everything in advance but something always comes up, big or small. My fuel system gave me issues while I was tuning and I got through it. Stick with it and you will be happy in the end
Old Apr 17, 2018, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbundrick

That shop really should have used a spray lube on all the studs. You should drop the tank yourself to save on labor costs, amazing how much money people can save if they do that for most projects. I had 2 studs break off on my tank so I drained as much fuel as I could, dropped the tank, let it air out for a few days outside, cleaned it with simple green, then took it to a welder to have 3 larger studs welded onto the tank next to the existing studs. Of course that meant we had to modify the bracket as well. That entire process cost me about $90.00, but worth it for a non-leaking tank.

Looks like you already found a tank which is good, but there is no transfer pump in the evo gas tank. There are sensors around the passenger side of the tank, but the passenger side fuel gets to the driver side of the tank through a siphon tube on the main fuel pump housing. It uses a venturi effect to pull fuel from the other side of the saddle shaped tank.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ask they guy in salvage yard to install it for you. He could remove it and bring tank in puckup truck with same tools and install there if shop will allow in their parking lot.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:35 AM

I just spoke to the owner of they yard which is the guy I bought it from. His shop is about 3.5 hours away. That’s what kinda stops me there. I’ve been looking at the how tos for the tank swap and seeing all the post about how much of a pain in the *** it is. It’s almost got me saying just let the shop do it. On the other hand I have a couple buddies that would be willing to help me do it if the car was at their shop. I got a couple days to make a decision on it. Also I got the whole tank assembly.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

From what I read, it's a bit tricky to install. Be patient and if you have extra guys to help maneuver the tank, it shouldn't be too bad. A case of beer is cheap labor
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh dude what a horror story, now the dyno and tune will be even more worth it after going through all of this. Looking forward to it man.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did this last year. Was going to put in my new fuel pump and there was no way it was cleanly coming out (have some pics). I replaced the tank of which I got from a junk yard and yanked out every piece of egr hose/pipe/junk I could find. Rerouted the lines and everything appears good. If you do decide to do it or even if the shop does it, do not cut the fuel filler hose off unless you have no choice. There are ZERO of these hoses in America. This goes for dealers and shops (even STM would have to order it from Japan). At least as of last fall time frame.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune tomorrow