Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Dyno tune tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there,
Did you happen to get her back on the rollers? I hear you on wanting to give up on the Evo. I've had mine for 3 years and finally about to have it tuned. It feels great though knowing the car will be on the rollers with the parts that I purchased and installed. So it'll pay off in the end man just have to keep moving forward and she'll be a bad one. Either way, hope to hear what she(hope you don't mind me calling it a "she") made. Cheers!
Old May 17, 2018, 11:49 PM

After much aggravation and irritation, my car finally got strapped down on the dyno. I’ve experienced problem after problem with it. Hoping to get the car back later today... I’m hopeful after fixing some of these issues the car will be fun again. Driveability hasn’t been great since I bought the car so maybe all the frustration will be worthwhile
Old May 18, 2018, 12:41 AM

I gotcha man. Hoping for the best. I am actually driving up to Fairfax to grab my car tomorrow. She should be on the dyno today. Let us know how it goes.
Old May 18, 2018, 04:30 AM

Thanks I got excited Tuesday when I was told they had everything buttoned everything up and had gotten it to fire up. They had strapped it down bout an hour before I called. So I went by Thursday then I got work that morning and it was in the parking lot so I got really happy. Once the owner showed up he told me they had to take it off and back on the lift. As i was coaching my sons 10u baseball team I had had a few ig notifications. Car was on the rollers making a pull. So with my luck I’m hopinf all goes well today and I get that call to come pick her up. She’s been down a month
Old May 18, 2018, 03:26 PM

Went and paid the bill and picked up the key this evening. Didn’t have a way to bring it home so I’ll ride up in the am with someone to drop me off... looking at the graph it’s about what I was expecting. I was hoping to hit 350 on this dyno but not quite(but I understand the nature of the dyno being a tool)... and I also found out that the car still had a cat on it :/ I knee it was quiet but never thought anything of it. I thought it had a resonator on it. That will be fixed soon. And we still think there are some wiring issues that need to be addressed
Old May 19, 2018, 02:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yoo that’s crazy, i went thru the same **** with the cat lol. My latest escapade was for a broken shift fork which took out third gear and chipped a tooth on second gear, ended up building a test pipe and other things while i was at it.

My point is, we all have these little gremlins that terrorize us with these projects but trust, once you get that thing rolling right, **** is gonna be a dream!
Old May 19, 2018, 09:43 AM

Great numbers man! I'm glad you understand the dyno is a measuring tool. My shop lost power the other evening so I won't have the car too this upcoming week. Lol always something but as evo owners we roll with the punches. Good deal though, glad you got it back.
Old May 20, 2018, 08:08 AM

Thankfully when I went to pick the car up yesterday the owner/tuber was there working on his evo so I got a chance to go over some of the things he noticed.

Along with the wiring gremlins remaining, he told me the car has more power on e85.. he felt like the car was loosing compression up top so he kept the boost levels the same for both tunes. And he told me both front struts were blown, so more good news.

He said overall for the mods, he thought the car performed like it should. He showed me how to launch the car since I haven’t been able to with the twin disk and it looked like it was moving out lol.

I drove 1.5 hours home on the pump gas tune and restrained myself until the very end rolling into the boost. Oh how I’ve missed boost!! It’s been quite a while since I’ve gotten to feel it. Can’t wait to swap over and feel the e85 tune
Old May 20, 2018, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbundrick
he told me the car has more power on e85.. he felt like the car was loosing compression up top so he kept the boost levels the same for both tunes.
Interesting. I wonder if my engine started doing that where my tuner kept boost at 24psi at redline. Shortly after tuning, my engine started sounding like a WRX to find a leaking intake valve seat.
I suggest you do a compression test now and start watching it. Once your exhaust starts to sound like a Subaru check compression again. If you end up with a leaky intake valve like me, you'll need to pull your head for a valve job. Don't continue driving because air and fuel goes back into intake manifold and spark ignites it so you can have a small (mildly compressed) fire in the intake manifold if the combustion flame seeps through the leaky valve seat.
Until then, enjoy your car
Old May 22, 2018, 12:00 AM

Going to a coworkers house Thursday and doing a compression check. I’m kinda nervous to see what the numbers say
Old May 22, 2018, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jbundrick
Going to a coworkers house Thursday and doing a compression check. I’m kinda nervous to see what the numbers say
I think it will be fine this first time, but retest as you notice changes. Remember to do compression test with warm engine and crank at WOT. Don't forget to disconnect CAS before cranking.
If you have the means, do leak down test too. This will help to understand what is leaking.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; May 22, 2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:34 PM

I ended up going to a local parts store and no one had a loaner compression tester in stock so I ended up buying one. I’m not too happy with the gauge as the time I did my first test the gauge was leaking down. So I got the bright idea to use the vid on my phone to record it and get my results. (This gauge will be returned and exchanged tomorrow)

on to the numbers and a couple were on the line so I called them to the lower number

155-155-150-155
Old May 23, 2018, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Those are great numbers. 5 psi on #3 is within tolerance. This is assuming the gauge is good. Lol.
138 psi is lowest and 163 psi is new. So you're in middle and difference between them is less than 14 psi.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; May 23, 2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
It should be fine with those compression numbers. The good thing is that they are within tolerance. Evo 8s usually have higher compression numbers than Evo 9s.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 01:40 AM

I know this isn’t the right place but I figured I’d post this in here to go along with the numbers.... finally got around to hitting up the 1/8 drag strip on the new tune... still gotta get the 60’ down a tad and consistent but I was happy i guess with the new pb.

8.06@87 1.78 60’.... there’s still more in it if I power shift but I haven’t gotten the ***** to try it on the track yet.