Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Doing a stereo installation for a friend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good job jas.. it's coming along very nicely. i still have the mounting hardware for the defi guage pod. i think i'll drop it off on thursday.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like a fun project, but i wish my driveway looked that good.......................
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

I checked window clearances yesterday and looking at the speaker hole, the left side is just under 2.25", and the right side just under 2.5".

George, the 6.5s fit in the front door w/ about 1/8" clearance between the window and the magnet. I'm going to remount the speakers in the brackets, and if they fit, I'll install them in the front doors.

I started on some brackets for the 5.25s yesterday, and cleaned up the wires on the back side of the amprack. It looks all neat a tidy on the front, but the back is a mess. I started wiring up the relays and etc, too. I'll post a pic of that when I'm done.

Last edited by jdub765; Jun 28, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jdub765
I checked window clearances yesterday and looking at the speaker hole, the left side is just under 2.25", and the right side just under 2.5".

George, the 6.5s fit in the front door w/ about 1/8" clearance between the window and the magnet. I'm going to remount the speakers in the brackets, and if they fit, I'll install them in the front doors.

I started on some brackets for the 5.25s yesterday, and cleaned up the wires on the back side of the amprack. It looks all neat a tidy on the front, but the back is a mess. I started wiring up the relays and etc, too. I'll post a pic of that when I'm done.
Regarding the 5.25s and the 6.5s, If the 6.5s will fit in the front doors by all means, install them. I can always ebay the 5.25s or sell them to a local buyer
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

I already installed the tweeters from both sets so I'll just install the 5.25s in the rear deck. Unless you really want 6.5s in the back, too, then give me a call and let me know.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

Just when I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel, he shows up with more parts to install... walbro fuel pump, some crazy Blitz gauge, two Defi gauges (ok, so I actually did need these), and some other crap. I'm never going to be done!

Ok, so today...

Installed the front tweets. Not much to see. Mounted w/ the stock speaker leads zip tied so they don't rattle. I'm probably going to wrap foam weatherseal around them to totally prevent rattles.

Ran the 6.5 wires through the factory boots. These have got to be the easiest boots I've had to run wires through. I don't know if I just got lucky, but it only took about 2-3 minutes to run the hanger through each boot. This is a pic inside the door. I just popped a new hole and then wrapped the whole bundle in electrical tape to seal it back up.

6.5s installed. Stock speaker leads zip-tied and wrapped in foam weatherseal to prevent rattles.

These next two pics don't look like much to you guys, but it does to me! The windows are all the way down, which means that they clear the speaker magnets, which means I'm DONE with the front doors!

Finally, after a couple hours of wiring up the back... I could've taken less time, but it would've been a lot messier, and would've lead to more headaches later on.

I labelled most of the wiring so it's easier to troubleshoot if anything goes wrong later on. The two barrier strips on the left will have two 9 pin d-sub connectors (basically a PC serial plug) to connect to the car and amprack cover, since there's a bunch of wires that need to be connected.

Hooked it up to a 12v power supply to test all the wiring. I'll probably clean up all the wires on the back since it's working.

Last edited by jdub765; Jul 6, 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:50 AM

OMG Jdub, great work! By the way, Rushin and I will be coming down later this afternoon to install the EBC, fuel pump, and other goodies. It's weird how nicely the woofers match my paint.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:10 AM

cant wate to see the finished product. thats a great choice in products.
post pics once finished
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

So, for a change, someone ELSE worked on the car! Came to install new intercooler piping this time, but got hung up on the LICP bolt.

The cars they rode in on.

Installed the center channel speaker in the Defi gauge pod. I trimmed the frame of the speaker, and made a mounting bracket from 1/4" hardboard.

Can't just have an exposed speaker, so I had to make a speaker grille.

Some bondo-glass to brace it a little. Bondo is too brittle, kitty hair is too coarse, so a little of both is bondo-glass.

Bondo glass hardening.

I stretched some grille cloth around the entire thing and zip tied it, and then slathered fiberglass resin all over the back.

Trimmed the extra cloth off. I trimmed it back some more, sanded down the bondo-glass, and double stacked the magnets.

The magnets stick to the frame of the speaker. Here's how it's going to look.

Last edited by jdub765; Jul 11, 2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

wow that speaker in the gauge pod is a very cool idea!!!!

I want to see the defi pod in the car because I'm thinking of getting one.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work man! Very impressive!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

center channel in the gauge pod= genius.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:10 AM

Very clean install. Cant wait to see finished product.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:33 AM

Great work with the center channel's grill, I was wondering how your were going to do it. Now I know what the magnets were for. They made fun entertainment for me and the rest of the guys. Anyways, we'll probably be over this weekend to finish the install.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Wow I hope it's actually "finished" this time.

Quick Reply: Doing a stereo installation for a friend