Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

What amp for speakers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What amp for speakers?

I just bought Alpine Type-R component speakers on ebay. (350 watt max, 70 RMS). Got them for $90, which sounds like a very good deal to me. I want to install them into my 2002 Lancer ES. Couple questions:

1. What kind of amp should I get to power these speakers?

2. I know I am going to get wiring and an amp. Is there anything else I should
get? I am thinking it will sound pretty good even without a sub but maybe I
should get tweeters?

3. I am thinking of installing them in the front, but one of my back speakers is
blown so should I put them in the back?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like alpine amps...theyre all great.... a 200/4 will be plenty.... wire spool will be needed unless u plan on skipping on the amp then just wiring adaptors make the job easier...i would put the compnenets up front...better clarity right next to ur head....and see if they original front speaker fits in the rear or pick up anything from walmart...cant be worse than stock....and theyll be cheap...

cheers
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

ALPINE PDX 4.150 if your running aftermarket all 4 speakers. If your just replacing the fronts get PDX 2.150 for fronts and run deck power for rears.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

hey i got a Apline amp that would perfect... the MRV-F345 that i would be willing to sell ya

it's been used... KINDA umm i havent pushed anything with them other the my Stock Evo speakers... soo it hasnt been beaten or anything... but they make even the stock sound 100 times better

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=MRV-F345

there are some stats and stuff

PM if you interested at all
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

To answer your questions:

1. How many speakers did you buy? From there we can help you with the amp selection. As personal opinion I wouldn't get Alpine, I've had problems with 2 different models so far, one 2-channels and one class-D mono. Now I'm running 2 MB Quart amps, one 4-channels and one class-D mono, both work great, loud and clean.

2. Correct, you'll need to work on wiring for any amp, just make sure that you use the proper wire gauge for the power. Also since you said that you bought coomponents, additional tweeter won't be needed because they're included with the components. Finally I think subwoofers are personal taste (and music preferences). Try your sound system without a sub and if you like the way it sounds, then you won't need one.

3. Install your components at front, use some regular speakers as rears and you can even power them from the head unit.

Good luck.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:22 PM

I bought 2 speakers, the reason I was asking about tweeters is because when I bought them on ebay, the seller said the speakers didn't include tweeters.

I also am going to need to get a new head unit.

Any more ideas would be welcome! thanks
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:28 PM

Also, would it be hard to wire everything up myself with the proper instructions? I have no experience installing systems at all but I have seen some posts that make it pretty clear how to install speakers, head units, etc...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

JuancaROD...what model amps were they? Ive put ALOT of alpines in and only a handfull have had problems. Most werent even the amps fault but the owner. JL/AUDISON/ALPINE/KENWOOD EXCELON/ all make good amplifiers.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

It wasn't my fault, I've been installing my own systems (and my family's and friends) for almost 20 years.

I don't remember the 2-channel model #, but after a year of using it power started to fluctuate randomly. The LED flashed red, then green again, and so on. I checked on the net and found many people having the same problem. Someone suggested to lower the gain, and eventhough all settings were fine, I lowered the gain. This problem remained so I decided to upgrade my whole system and replaced the amp with a 4-channel MB Quart.

The other Alpine was the MRP-M650, it worked fine for 3 days pushing a RF DVC 10" 250WRMS per coil (Punch HX2 RFD2210), but all of the sudden it stopped working at low volume. The blue LED was fine, but there was no sound and smoke was coming out of it. I checked all connections, fuses, wires, etc., and everything was OK. I took it back to the shop and they took a look at my installation before refunding me the money. The Alpine amp was replaced with an MB Quart 1000WRMS @ 2ohms... now in 3 days I had a blown sub... LOL, I replaced it with a Type-X Alpine 10" 1000WRMS (500WRMS per coil) SWX-1042D and so far everything is just perfect!

Originally Posted by onesicklambo
JuancaROD...what model amps were they? Ive put ALOT of alpines in and only a handfull have had problems. Most werent even the amps fault but the owner. JL/AUDISON/ALPINE/KENWOOD EXCELON/ all make good amplifiers.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:04 PM

Wondering if you guys thought this Kicker amp would be good for my system...

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-KX200-2-Z...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidvscali
I just bought Alpine Type-R component speakers on ebay. (350 watt max, 70 RMS). Got them for $90, which sounds like a very good deal to me. I want to install them into my 2002 Lancer ES. Couple questions:

1. What kind of amp should I get to power these speakers?

2. I know I am going to get wiring and an amp. Is there anything else I should
get? I am thinking it will sound pretty good even without a sub but maybe I
should get tweeters?

3. I am thinking of installing them in the front, but one of my back speakers is
blown so should I put them in the back?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
1) an amp with low THD that pushes at least 50 watts RMS (NEVER USE PEAK#'s)

2) if they sent u everything u won't need tweeters as component speakers come w/tweets &x-overs already. i would get an amp wiring kit (w/at least 8gauge power cables). Try Stinger, Monster cable, or Rockford Fosgate.

3) the front of your car is the soundstage. install them up front. when u add a sub, you won't need rear speakers if you "tune" the sound correctly...
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:55 PM

The speakers that I bought are component speakers and were supposed to come with tweeters but, I got them cheap because the seller sold the speakers WITHOUT tweeters....

Are tweeters necassary, and where can I buy tweeters for these speakers

ALPINE SPR-17LS 6.5in
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

w/out the tweeters, those speaker may sound a lil flat.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

here are my Niche Audio components installed in the factory locations.
got them for $81/pair with xovers & they handle 200watts RMS. notice how i shaped my MDF trim ring to emulate the stock speaker to assist remounting the door panel...

see this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=115777