Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Collecting equipment..this is a track car isnt it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collecting equipment..this is a track car isnt it?

Doing a mild system in the evo, it is a performance car, yet I'm an installer...Gotta find the gray area between

Alpine cda 9856 (simple upgrade)
Zapco SP7-sl (cleanest signal 7 band EQ) not shown
Zapco Ref 1000.4 150rms to each front door, 500rms to the trunk.
3 JL 8w3's wired 4 ohm mono. In a 2.3ft3 ported box 35.7 hz.
Morel Hybrid ovations (front door) not shown

When more time and money come into play, the 1000.4 will be bridged to run the front doors only (500rms a door), and a 750.2 will be used for bass.

I will post pics of the install progress, it will be long as the EQ needs to be molded, and i plan to do something simple, removeable, yet custom in the trunk
Old Nov 7, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

no thats not my purse
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Use an 1100M for the sub instead of the 750.2, better power supply. I see your local to the Zapco factory. Your port tuning mmight be a little low from what I've measured in an Evo but that's some good equipment you have and I'm sure it will sound great.

I always loved the SX-SL and I have the DSP-SL now. I think I even have an SP7 somewhere too. I have a 500m running my sub and an old Z400C4 on my components that has been modified and rebiased. My amps are built into 4G63 valve covers for cosmetic reasons.

My Evo was in the Zapco booth at SBN a few years ago. I know John, Robert and Bob well. Good luck with the install!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by BillAce; Nov 7, 2006 at 09:33 PM. Reason: double post
Old Nov 7, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

It is taking every ounce of restrain I can muster not to put a full blown system in mine to compliment the PC install. Already added enough weight...I guess...

What you got there should turn out real nice. Good luck!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
Use an 1100M for the sub instead of the 750.2, better power supply. I see your local to the Zapco factory. Your port tuning mmight be a little low from what I've measured in an Evo but that's some good equipment you have and I'm sure it will sound great.

I always loved the SX-SL and I have the DSP-SL now. I think I even have an SP7 somewhere too. I have a 500m running my sub and an old Z400C4 on my components that has been modified and rebiased. My amps are built into 4G63 valve covers for cosmetic reasons.

My Evo was in the Zapco booth at SBN a few years ago. I know John, Robert and Bob well. Good luck with the install!
They had actualy told me today that the 750 @2.66 ohm STOMPS the 1100m... That and i never buy mono amps for upgrade reasons. I still need to track down a slx-2..All they have now is the 4 and its overpriced for my needs.

As far as the port tune, it is spec to JL's requirements, but ill play with win isd a bit tonight and see what looks good..

BOB was a little annoyed that i came in right before closing to get equipment so cheap

Last edited by DontRevMe; Nov 7, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2Devious
It is taking every ounce of restrain I can muster not to put a full blown system in mine to compliment the PC install. Already added enough weight...I guess...

What you got there should turn out real nice. Good luck!
I'm an installer at a fairly well known shop.. Have to have something goin
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

2 channels will give you some extra flexibility and the 750 is a 4 layer amp that does stomp the 1000.2. The 1100M is an upgraded 750 though. In the Evo sedan I would tune a little higher, around 42+45Hz. You can make the enclosure a little smaller or adjust the port.

Other than the cosmetics, you may want to use a comp amp since the internal xover is better than an SLX2. A 6.0 is the greatest amp ever made. When you see Bob you tell him Impossible Bill says hi and I'll see him at CES.l
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

2 channels will give you some extra flexibility and the 750 is a 4 layer amp that does stomp the 1000.2. The 1100M is an upgraded 750 though. In the Evo sedan I would tune a little higher, around 42+45Hz. You can make the enclosure a little smaller or adjust the port.

Other than the cosmetics, you may want to use a comp amp since the internal xover is better than an SLX2. A 6.0 is the greatest amp ever made. When you see Bob you tell him Impossible Bill says hi and I'll see him at CES.l
Ill see him tomorrow most likely, and will do

I actualy snagged a new slx2 from a guy at work today.. I was talking to an old friend of mine who's been doing this 3x as long as i have. He said the JL's have enough linear excursion to do fine at 35.7.. Not like i cant play around with it a bit
the deck, amp, slx2 are in, Still waiting on the sp7 and a few more lines of symbilink. Hopefully i can get some time at work to build the box this week, then maybe do the cosmetics next week
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

You do have to watch for the crazy excursion below the tuning frequency. I'vve done many LEAP analysis and things get pretty hairy below there and you probably don't have a subsonic filter. The tin can nature of the Evo gives good low end extension for some reason too, better than I expected so you don't have to tune that low for good response.

Bill
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

You do have to watch for the crazy excursion below the tuning frequency. I'vve done many LEAP analysis and things get pretty hairy below there and you probably don't have a subsonic filter. The tin can nature of the Evo gives good low end extension for some reason too, better than I expected so you don't have to tune that low for good response.

Bill
The amp does have a subsonic, Maybe ill give it a whirl at 40hz..
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

wow

is this legal talk?

Old Nov 9, 2006, 05:47 PM

wow that amp is huge, where do you plan to mount it?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvrvic
wow that amp is huge, where do you plan to mount it?
back of seat.. Youll see soon enough
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

It is high end audio ****!!!

Originally Posted by pltek
is this legal talk?

Last edited by BillAce; Nov 10, 2006 at 08:40 AM. Reason: sp