Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Aftermarket HIDs in a non-HID Evo, please help settle the debate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok lets say you like the jdm headlights, couldnt you get the jdm hid headlights and put a plug and play hid kit and it would be the same thing as an evo with hids stock?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
I'm pretty sure the cutoff in the JDM housings is the exact opposite as the US versions.

US should look like this:

______/-----------

JDM will look like this:

-------------\________

What does that mean? Most likely you'll blind oncomming traffic, unless you point them quite low. Not worth it IMO, but whatever floats peoples boats I guess.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexlewand
I bet that if I buy switch from dealer it will work because all gears are there. I have to check wiring. Will do that during next week, anyway I have to put my Clifford alarm into new IX so will see. If plugs are stiil tapped behind dash (HID adj switch) then it will work for sure because harness will be the same. Anyway I will post answers.

I think a lot of people including myself would love to see if it works.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I've been trying to decide also...I've been on the verge of picking up the denso 4300 kit from hidexpert.com or the kaixen 6K kit from autodoodad on this forum... I just want more light with not too much bling.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SPANKED
I've been trying to decide also...I've been on the verge of picking up the denso 4300 kit from hidexpert.com or the kaixen 6K kit from autodoodad on this forum... I just want more light with not too much bling.
4300k will have more lumens than 6000k, which put simply, means it'll put down more light.

4100k-4300k is used in all OEM hid projector setups, any bulb temp higher than that, won't put down as much light. There's no other way around it.

4300k looks great, plus the blue/purple color along the cutoff is enough "bling" for most.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ill_take_one
4300k will have more lumens than 6000k, which put simply, means it'll put down more light.

4100k-4300k is used in all OEM hid projector setups, any bulb temp higher than that, won't put down as much light. There's no other way around it.

4300k looks great, plus the blue/purple color along the cutoff is enough "bling" for most.
Thanks I knew the bit about the more lumens in the 4300K, but will the 4300K show a slight blue hue where you can tell they are HIDs?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks I knew the bit about the more lumens in the 4300K, but will the 4300K show a slight blue hue where you can tell they are HIDs?
Yes sir. Take a look at this pic, you can really tell how white/blue they are when you put the inner fogs on at the same time. IMO, anything "bluer" almost looks like fake blue halogen bulbs. Just my opinion though.

Alot of the blue/purple you see with most audi/bmw/s2000s, is just the cutoff colors that you are seeing. That's why you get a flicker/or you see the colors change when you see a car with HID coming head on. Although HID bulbs age overtime, and can colorshift to a more blue/purple hue. But that takes hundreds, if not more hours before you notice that.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nos51
cut off beam or not my retro hid looks wayyyyy better than the regulaer halogen bulbs.huge improvement.i def recomend that you get the retro kit.
What kit do you have?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ill_take_one
Yes sir. Take a look at this pic, you can really tell how white/blue they are when you put the inner fogs on at the same time. IMO, anything "bluer" almost looks like fake blue halogen bulbs. Just my opinion though.

Alot of the blue/purple you see with most audi/bmw/s2000s, is just the cutoff colors that you are seeing. That's why you get a flicker/or you see the colors change when you see a car with HID coming head on. Although HID bulbs age overtime, and can colorshift to a more blue/purple hue. But that takes hundreds, if not more hours before you notice that.
So the 4300K shows no sign of yellow? I've read a few posts where people have said that although 4300K is the brightest it still projects a yellowish hue light...
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:31 AM
EvoM Guru

So the 4300K shows no sign of yellow? I've read a few posts where people have said that although 4300K is the brightest it still projects a yellowish hue light...

Sorry, I tried to respond sooner, but evom was acting up last nite.

Yes, there is still yellow that is being output. You can easily see this, when you are 5-10 feet away from a wall. Lots of yellow hues around the cutoff. This is normal for pretty much any OEM HID setup from the factory.

Although it looks yellow when you look at it fairly close up, the further you step back, the more white/blue HID's will look. This is partially due to the cutoff colors that you can't see when close.

Even with all of this, when you put a stock OEM HID setup right next to a car equipped with halogens, the difference in color temps are very noticable as you may already know (and shown in the pict up above of mine).

If you do go with 6000k's, I'd only recommend Philips Ulition 6000k's. Pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Later
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help, so for the 4300K would you recommend the denso kit from hidexpert.com? Who sells the 6K Philips Ulition besides hiddepot.com?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have more pics of your headlights?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Thanks for the help, so for the 4300K would you recommend the denso kit from hidexpert.com? Who sells the 6K Philips Ulition besides hiddepot.com?
Actually, that kit looks quite nice. I've never been a fan of "kits" (I usually pieced together OEM HID components for my retrofits in the past). But with the denso ballasts and philips bulbs, you're getting quality pieces there. So yes, that wouldn't be a bad choice, although I admit, I haven't read any reviews about any HID "kits" lately. You may want to do some searching on that...

Pics of just the color of the lamps? Is that what you want?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
I got my aftermarket HID from HIDPlace (this is his nick on evoM, send him a PM).. He's a great guy, they arrived in no time, they work great and amazing colors.. I really recommend him: http://www.ultrabrightlights.com/

Wael
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Do you have more pics of your headlights?

Btw, for anyone looking for the blue/purple colors, this IMO is better than having 6000K ++++ bulbs. These are the valeo HID projectors (I'm selling btw). On the left, is the valeo projector. What you are seeing, is the cutoff. Lots of blue/purple. Changes colors when you see it coming head on down the road.

On the right, is a differnt projector (bixenon) with the same 4300k bulb. It's not directly showing its cutoff color. But it shows what the 4300k bulb temp looks like. Also shows that having a 4300k bulb, which puts down the most lumens,can also turn heads with all the color along the cutoff line (OEM HID projectors from car to car, are designed different, some better than others).

If anyone is looking to retrofit OEM HID projectors into their Evo housings, feel free to contact me. I have a 30+ page dedicated to retroing HID projectors into housings (honda-tech board, so I'm not sure if you need an ID to view this thread or not). It's an old thread, but there is alot of good info on there still.
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=683685

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HIDs in a non-HID Evo, please help settle the debate